[2.6] CI FrostBlades Raider/Pathfinder [Permafreeze T15 bosses, 4:17 Shaper Run, 1:49 Chayula timer]

@y_ce, @Petarded - thanks for the support guys!

"
Babeee wrote:
I originally heard about your build on Reddit, then after seeing the shaper kill, I hoped to find a guide on your build, which brought me here.
I came for the build, but I was more impressed about the informative lesson on Elemental penetration.
I will probably try out the build later in the league, but thanks for posting more than just the build guide :)

You're welcome! :)

"
LewsTherin wrote:
I started with mathil's FB pathfinder but after watching your video I decided to respec to your version. I'm not very convinced about the power charge generation though, I'm having trouble with OoS + PCoC due to low base crit chance (15% for OoS, against 42% for FB), so the generation is very unreliable at the moment (I still have to level PCoC and OoS though, they're only lvl 11 and 16 respcetively, right now). Will things be much better with PCoC at higher lvl?

Thanks for sharing your build !

You're welcome! Things will be better with PCoC at a higher level, slightly. But if you have your diamond flask up (which you should anyway versus bosses), that'll affect OOS as well which will help generate power charges abit faster. The other option would be to use a CWDT - BV - PCoC - Incr. Crit Strikes setup for PC generation, but thats unreliable because most things get frozen anyway so they don't actually hit you much.

You're welcome! :)

"
Tanakeah wrote:
Nice to see claws getting some love and gave me a decent starting point for what I am going for on my Frost Blades claw build. Also going Raider, which is quite fun, though my gear isn't as optimized as yours and I'm doing a slightly different setup. For comparison, here's what I have right now:

Current Gear
Spoiler

Passive Tree
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAIBAAEJBbUNfBB7ES8RlhXXFf0XJhmKIuoknST9KgsqOCsKLL8wfDfUPL4-z0HQRfRHBklRSbFRR1IpVeBWY1haXfJfal9wYlpjQ2SvbAhtbG9XcFJ4GXqEfyt_xoGsg22Eb4TFhq6J04o4jDaNgY25jb-P-pKAkyeTkJcGmhebtaEvpcumf6c0qXmv67F8tAy0xbVIuNm95r46vorBoMHFwuzDOsPmxKLK09Ct0NDTftRC1gfXz9jV2xrb591I35jkaudU53Tn6ujW6rrrY-wY7T_tQe4O73rviPDV8Yr5M_k3_W7_3g==?accountName=Tanakeah&characterName=MeleeMaybeViable

Please excuse gems and flasks and the like as I'm still experimenting with them. Biggest difference as you can see is that I am dual-wielding The Scourge claws, which means I have less ES overall. However, the build is only level 86, so quite a few levels left until I hit 95 or so, which is about as high as I'll want to push it given the level grind is not to my tastes.

Also, passive tree will need some tweaking, but in the end I should be able to get a bit above 8,000 ES, potentially more with more optimized gear, like a Vaal Regalia. Probably the biggest thing for me is the gem setup for Frost Blades...I'm scaling a lot on my gear with Elemental Damage over physical damage to see how that works since I'm doing a full conversion to cold. With that in mind, I'm thinking I might try and drop MDoFL and throw in ICD since my crit rating is already pretty high and will be higher once I put a few more points to getting Twin Terrors. Not sure how that will work out for DPS overall, but I'm thinking it'll be a nice gain overall.

Still, pretty heavy into testing and seeing what works the best for me. One thing I love about The Scourge claws are all the wolf 'meat shields' you get from it. Really does help from keeping stuff off you, even bosses.

Hey Tanakeah!

Ya I did consider dual-wielding claws before. I ended up not doing so in the end because I like abit more ES to feel safer, and I felt that the amount of ES I would have to give up for the DPS increase wasn't worth it, but that is simply up to personal preferences, so I'd say just do whatever you prefer.

Actually I think that MDoFL is better than ICD if your AOE is already strong enough. Remember, if you already have a crit multi of 500%, adding another 118% crit multi in the form of ICD is only approx 25% more dmg whereas a MDoFL gives 49% more melee physical damage. ICD will likely only be worth it if your crit multi is only 200% or so, which it likely isn't going to be. The only benefit to ICD is the bonus to the projectile component of FB, but if you're one shotting things anyway it might not be of too much benefit.

"
generalchaos wrote:
What's the leveling build like for this? I've never really leveled a physical-based character before.

I think it should be in the "Three Phases of Growth" section. Welcome to the physical damage camp!

"
wesleyeca wrote:
Hi, i decided to go for a CI version of frost blades and i am loving your build, just have one doubt now. If i respec to pathfinder, where is the frenzy source for frenzy charges, if any at all. right now i am ranger but willing to go pathfinder for easier time with shaper/guardians.

Again, very nice guide

Thanks! There isn't a source for frenzy charges unfortunately, and I don't use them. If you want frenzy charges, alternative options would be to have Ice Bite as one of your links (I wouldn't recommend that), or have a Green Dream jewel socketed in the jewel socket to the right of Shadow which would give you an 8% chance to obtain frenzy charges on kill as well as 5% extra chaos damage. This should be enough to maintain frenzy charges while mapping, and 3 frenzy charges + Green Dream will be better than a good rare jewel.

However, you will encounter problems generating frenzy charges against bosses with no adds, and a rare jewel will then be better than a green dream in those situations.

Thanks!
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
i want to ask
why Pathfinder is better at boss fight ?
cuz i played Pathfinder and i always run out my flask.
it's same increase 40% ele dmg but Raider dont need to worry about flask..

should I try it on SSF as started build ? I wanted to try SSF and frost blades, and I think its good cross. BTW thx for making up this guide, very nice one.
Hi,

Nice build. How does the build manage mana without any pots / mana leech? Is the soul raker passive enough to sustain?

Thanks
BigKnox
"

"
"
wesleyeca wrote:
Hi, i decided to go for a CI version of frost blades and i am loving your build, just have one doubt now. If i respec to pathfinder, where is the frenzy source for frenzy charges, if any at all. right now i am ranger but willing to go pathfinder for easier time with shaper/guardians.

Again, very nice guide

Thanks! There isn't a source for frenzy charges unfortunately, and I don't use them. If you want frenzy charges, alternative options would be to have Ice Bite as one of your links (I wouldn't recommend that), or have a Green Dream jewel socketed in the jewel socket to the right of Shadow which would give you an 8% chance to obtain frenzy charges on kill as well as 5% extra chaos damage. This should be enough to maintain frenzy charges while mapping, and 3 frenzy charges + Green Dream will be better than a good rare jewel.

However, you will encounter problems generating frenzy charges against bosses with no adds, and a rare jewel will then be better than a green dream in those situations.

Thanks!

Thank you, one last doubt, i noticed you dont have the 40 dexterity around jewels for fight for survival cold penetration bonus, is it not mandatory ????
dosnt need to be allocated
"
sot75364 wrote:
i want to ask
why Pathfinder is better at boss fight ?
cuz i played Pathfinder and i always run out my flask.
it's same increase 40% ele dmg but Raider dont need to worry about flask..

The key is to not spam your flasks before they run out. If you look at my shaper fight you'll see that I had my flasks pretty much available all the time.

Raider has to worry about flasks actually. the 40% ele dmg isn't the main bonus from flasks when you're pathfinder. Its the flasks themselves.

"
should I try it on SSF as started build ? I wanted to try SSF and frost blades, and I think its good cross. BTW thx for making up this guide, very nice one.

You're welcome! You can, and you likely won't have any problems leveling as a HP character. Take note though that you will find it tough to get the optimum colours necessary on an ES chest when you eventually want to transition to CI and will have to settle for sub-optimal colours.
Build of the Week 14
There are two different sets of colours for Frost Blades which are pretty equal and have their own pros and cons, which I will detail below:

1. RRRRGG (Higher Map DPS, Lower Shaper/Guardian DPS)
This set of colours allows you to accommodate Hypothermia/Cold penetration in your set up: Hypothermia for general mapping and Cold Pen for Shaper/Guardians. The links are as follows:
> WED - MPD - MDFL (Note: use MDFL only if you're CI) - Multistrike - Cold Pen/Hypothermia

2. RRRRGB (Lower Map DPS, Higher Shaper/Guardian DPS)
This set of colours allows you to accommodate Incr. Crit Strikes/Elemental Focus in your set up: Incr. Crit Strikes for general mapping for more reliable freezing and Elemental Focus for Shaper/Guardians.

Incr. Crit Strikes deals less damage than Hypothermia and may result in slower map clear speed. I say may, because at some point your DPS will be high enough to one-two shot mobs so it won't really matter anyway. In addition, having Incr. Crit Strikes will make for more reliable freezing and will make porcupines less deadly and necrovigil less annoying. Elemental Focus does more damage than cold pen so Shaper and Guardians will be much quicker fights.

This set of colours also allows you to use a Vaal Regalia for higher ES if you want (although you will have a very tough time rolling the colours you need, therefore I don't recommend this unless you're already happy with the rest of your gear). FYI it took me about 2400 chromes (Vorici 3R) to finally get the colours I need on my Vaal Regalia. The second set of colours is the one that I am currently using.

Also, I've changed the recommended links on the other pieces of gear in the original post. Frost Bomb can be linked with CWDT so you only need to cast ele weakness before boss fights and let Frost Bomb get triggered by CWDT later on instead of having to cast both ele weakness and Frost Bomb.
Build of the Week 14
"
De7rag wrote:
Hi,

Nice build. How does the build manage mana without any pots / mana leech? Is the soul raker passive enough to sustain?

Thanks

Heya, thanks! Yup the soul raker passive is enough to sustain.

"
clandestinehp wrote:

Ya I've seen his iteration of the build.

imo his tree would have been fine if his weapon had mainly flat damage instead of physical damage on it. The thing is, his weapon is primarily a phys dps weapon, and he didn't take enough %phys damage nodes to boost that aspect of it.

If you are an elemental build that is based off phys conversion as well as extra damage added as elemental damage, you will always be better off scaling the pre-conversion damage, which in this case is Physical Damage, rather than the post-conversion damage which is %elemental damage. It is just more efficient point for point-wise. There is also no need for so much penetration on the tree in view of the already excellent amount of penetration you get as PF: 30% from jewels + 20% from frost bomb + 10% from Veteran Bowyer.

In addition, his gem links were not optimised for single target and therefore did nothing to refine the weakness of Frost Blades, which is single target DPS. There's no need to augment the AoE aspect of Frost Blades which is already extremely strong as it is and works perfectly well even in a 4L.
Build of the Week 14

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info