[2.6] Crit Staff-based Wild Strike Inquisitor

Hey everyone! With the new buff to Wild Strike, I decided to try and make a Wild Strike Inquisitor for Legacy League. Personally, I found the results to be pretty damn awesome! So much so, that I've decided to post a build guide on what I've made. This is my first build guide, so feel free to post suggestions, questions, etc.

Pros/ Cons

Pros:
+ Pretty sweet damage! My tooltip alone sits at about 60k dps, but tooltip doesn't factor in
damage after the physical damage is converted (since it's converted to a random element)

+ Decently high life pool (Sitting at more than 5.4k at level 84 with some relatively budget/
self-found gear)

+ Surprisingly great clear speed for a name-lock skill

+ Good as a league starter (Levels fast, the gear is cheap, and you can still do pretty
decent with just rare gear and a rare staff)

Cons;
- Wild Strike is still a "name-lock" skill :/

- Kind of on the low end as far as the number of jewel slots in the tree

- Accuracy may be an issue, but hopefully all of the Dex should help with that. Getting
accuracy on gear is helpful too.

- Not recommended to run elemental reflect maps

- No pants! (Or that may be a pro depending on who you are! XD)

How it works

With the new 2.6 patch, GGG changed Wild Strike in the following way:
"
Wild Strike now converts 100% of the attack's physical damage to a random element, up from 60%.

What does this mean for us? It means that we can scale our damage with buffs to physical damage, then convert ALL of it to elemental damage and scale it again, resulting in some pretty extraordinary damage!

As for the class, I went with Inquisitor. Inquisitor gives us access to the Ascendancy passive, Inevitable Judgement, which allows our damage to completely ignore elemental resistances on critical strike! The Templar also starts in close proximity to plenty of both physical and elemental damage nodes, as well as plenty of decent life nodes.

For defenses, we rely on a combination of:
- A high life pool (currently sitting at 5.4k hp at level 84)
- High armor for physical mitigation (you can also convert evasion with Iron Reflexes if
you so choose)
- High life regen through almost constant consecrated ground coverage and some decent life
regen uniques and passives
- Life leech through a combination of attack damage leech passives and Blood Rage
- Some Endurance charge generation from Smashing Strikes passive
- Some decent block chance from using staves

Passive tree

Bandits: Oak (+40 life), Kill All (passive point), Alira (+1 Power charges)

Recommended Uniques

Hegemony's Era

This staff is extremely helpful in boosting our crit chance with a nice crit bonus, +1 Power charges, and a nice way to generate Power charges. The high physical damage is also very nice, as well as the attack speed bonus.

Martyr of Innocence

Martyr of Innocence gives an absolutely massive boost to fire damage, and makes for a nice staff to use in the 16 levels before you can use Hegemony's Era. It unfortunately has
a pretty low attack speed and no crit bonuses however.

Voll's Vision

If you're not uber rich and sporting gear with crazy Vaal mods, this helmet makes for an excellent unique to boost your life pool and life regen.

Immortal Flesh

If you can afford the elemental resists penalty, this belt is a great way to boost life and life regen, as well as armor.

Starkonja's Head

This helm has a lot of goodies in one package! It gives a large boost to max life, increased crit chance, increased attack speed, and a large boost to Dex to boost accuracy. On top of that, if you have taken Iron Reflexes, the large amount of evasion on the helm gets converted to armor, giving a pretty decent armor boost. Definitely worth using!

Atziri's Promise

This flask is absolutely amazing when it comes to boosting damage, as well as leeching life.
Not only does our physical damage produce extra chaos damage for us, but our physical damage gets converted to elemental damage to produce even more chaos damage!

Lion's Roar

This flask gives us a nice physical damage boost and provides extra armor on top of that!

My Current Gear

Note: Taste of Hate isn't necessary for the build, but makes for a good higher budget flask to use. I got mine as a drop, so that's why I have one. :D

Jewels

For jewels, we don't have many jewel slots, so I took a more defensive approach and looked for jewels that gave resists and % max health. Jewels that buff attack speed and crit chance are good as well. Also, a Warlord's Reach is pretty nice for quality of life, allowing us to hit enemies slightly further away, mitigating a bit the downside of Wild Strike being a name-lock, close range melee skill. You can get Warlord's Reach as a reward from the Through Sacred Ground quest in Act 2 Cruel.

Skill Gem Links

Wild Strike: Wild Strike + Increased Critical Strikes + Multistrike + Weapon Elemental Damage
+ Faster Attacks (5l) + Elemental Focus (6l)

Ancestral Warchief: (A good way to supplement your damage and deal with pesky ele reflect mobs)
Ancestral Warchief + Melee Physical Damage + Concentrated Effect + Faster Attacks +
Culling Strike (5l/ 6l) + Increased Area of Effect (5l/ 6l)

Auras/ Buffs: Hatred, Blasphemy + Assassin's Mark, Blood Rage
(possibly Herald of Ash too if you found some way to shoehorn it in)

Movement: Leap Slam + Faster Attacks + Fortify + Blood Magic

CWDT: Cast When Damage Taken (lv1 or so) + Immortal Call + Increased Duration
(Immortal Call works nicely with our Endurance charge generation from Smashing Strikes)
(It's also a good idea to socket this setup in a 4l with Blood Rage so Blood Rage can have increased duration too)

Miscellaneous: Summon Flame Golem (for some extra damage)

Videos

T11 Wasteland at lvl87: https://youtu.be/VioWFqi5NrU
Last edited by Soulcommando on Mar 25, 2017, 10:51:30 PM
Last bumped on Aug 3, 2017, 2:50:38 PM
This looks interesting. What about also running Witch for the Reflect reduction? Could make Ele reflect maps "do-able". Thoughts?
"
KamiKazeJEDI wrote:
This looks interesting. What about also running Witch for the Reflect reduction? Could make Ele reflect maps "do-able". Thoughts?

Elementalist seems pretty doable for wild strike. Mastermind of Discord would give an always up 25% penetration since Wild Strike counts as all elements, although it's not nearly as good as the 100% penetration of Inevitable Judgement. Pendulum of Destruction would give a pretty hefty damage boost, if only for a few seconds at a time.

However, I wouldn't go Elementalist just to run ele reflect maps when you can easily just roll over the mod. Also, if I went Elementalist, I'd most likely go CI and use daggers instead of staves to take more advantage of the Shadow tree. It might be doable but it would be a different build from this one at that point.
Last edited by Soulcommando on Mar 15, 2017, 9:36:59 PM
Hey everyone, I uploaded a vid of this build in action in a t11 map. It showcases performance in maps, breaches, and boss fights. I'll upload more videos later too.
Last edited by Soulcommando on Mar 19, 2017, 6:11:18 PM
hi for a leveling unique ,would you say that pillar of caged god is good for some levels or should i just get any rare while i get to lvl 60
I personally just used rare staves with decent damage mods on them until about lvl 52, where I tried out Martyr of Innocence. When I hit lvl 68, I sold the Martyr and picked up Hegemony's.
well so far my pillar of god has been better that any rare i have found so i will keep at it
another question i have can u show a example of recommend jewels and a basic guideline for the skill
tree because new players will have a confusing time choosing the right way since we go all over the
skill tree.

ED. also thanks for the build having fun so far and really powerful when getting to wild strike and having a 5 link set up. here is the weapon in question.

Last edited by HibramMaxwell on Mar 23, 2017, 11:47:45 AM
Hey everyone, I made some changes to the passive tree. I figured taking all of the Dex nodes through the Ranger tree was a bit wasteful, so instead I took a path through the Scion tree to pick up the evasion boosts. You'll lose about 50 Dex, but you can easily get most of that back by just taking one of the +30 Dex nodes with one of the points saved. The rest can be allocated to more life nodes to boost your lifepool.

Also, I decided to do away with regen entirely and just go with Vaal Pact and noticed a significant increase in survivability. The downside is running the labyrinth really sucks because we have to rely on life flasks and we no longer take advantage of the consecrated ground life regen. I wouldn't recommend going Vaal Pact until you pick up both the Duelist and Shadow life leech nodes and have completed all of the labyrinths first.
Last edited by Soulcommando on Mar 25, 2017, 11:45:10 PM
Can some1 fix passive tree? )
The lack of information in general towards Wild Strike is a little annoying but I figure I've narrowed it down to either something such as this or with a Raider.

I'd really like to roll an Inquisitor but I feel as though I need more information on how well it performs deep in the red as well as if a general leveling tree could be fleshed out in the case of this build.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info