Can someone explain to me what "SJW" and "PC" mean?

SJW is a term used to describe people who attempt to "right" a "wrong" but actually just wind up making things worse. Sometimes it's due to ineptitude, sometimes due to being too extreme -- but the key is that they push it too far and wind up hurting their cause.

PC can either refer to specific jargon invented in order to avoid potentially offensive terms, OR to describe behavior which is calculated to be as inoffensive as possible.

Both terms have become overused, overapplied, and hyperbolicized to the point of near-meaninglessness. PC, at least, started out as a legitimate term, and has changed over time. SJW pretty much started out that way.

To the point of Scrotie and 鬼殺し's disagreement, while in some cases, your argument can be valid (a member of the Aryan Brotherhood using the term "African-american" instead of any number of other terms which they may actually want to use), in many cases being "PC" is simply a matter of picking your phrases more carefully.

Examples:

Many people online unintentionally use the abbreviation "Jap" or "JAP" for Japan/Japanese. Not only is this incorrect (the official 2-letter abbreviation is JP, and the 3-letter abbreviation is JPN), but it is offensive due to... historical reasons.

Likewise, many people use the term "gyp" or "gypped" (sometimes spelled "gipped"), which unbeknownst to them is a reference to the stereotype of the Romani (or Gypsy) peoples' supposed untrustworthy business practice.

This isn't limited to English or Westerners, either -- many Japanese people use the term "gaijin", which (incorrectly in my opinion, but still) is viewed as offensive by some non-Japanese people.

Now, if you for some reason have a dislike of the Japanese and/or Romani people (or foreigners if you're Japanese), then that could fall into the "but saying the more polite term is just lying/lying by omission" argument above.

But most people aren't terribly racist, and simply do such things out of ignorance. So in most cases, trying to be "PC" is simply being aware of what things are likely to unintentionally offend certain people, and trying to avoid doing them.

On the other hand, it gets taken too far. Handicapable or Differently-abled just sound like condescension to me personally, and this whole trigger BS makes me glad that I don't live in the US at the moment. I've been through some for real crazy **** in my life, and whenever something reminds me of it, I don't throw a hissy fit about it.
IGN Stuns_McNutshot | Ichimans_McIchimans | Balls_McCritterson
Last edited by tsftd on Mar 12, 2017, 9:30:23 AM
SJW are basically people who fight for "the right thing to do" while acting like fascists.
SJW- a cultist plague. Thankfully a self-purging one through the magic combo of low birthrates and embracing [Removed by Support]. The latter will eventually consume them whole if they ever reach critical mass. Although in the long run a thorough vetting/purge of certain parts of the academia is required, since parts of it have turned into prime infection grounds for the pathogen.

PC- silly self censorship by thin-skinned people for thin-skinned people. Like all censorships before it, this too will eventually find its way into the great garbage dumpster of history. All it takes is a good dose of common sense, mortal danger and basic human nature.
Last edited by Patrick_GGG on Mar 13, 2017, 11:17:46 AM
"
diablofdb wrote:
SJW are basically people who fight for "the right thing to do" while acting like fascists.

So SJW = Trump and his followers?
"
Sig556 wrote:
SJW- a cultist plague. Thankfully a self-purging one through the magic combo of low birthrates and embracing Allah's goatfuckers. The latter will eventually consume them whole if they ever reach critical mass. Although in the long run a thorough vetting/purge of certain parts of the academia is required, since parts of it have turned into prime infection grounds for the pathogen.

PC- silly self censorship by thin-skinned people for thin-skinned people. Like all censorships before it, this too will eventually find its way into the great garbage dumpster of history. All it takes is a good dose of common sense, mortal danger and basic human nature.

Ironically I predict this post will get censored by those awful PC SJW moderators.
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
IGN: HopeYouAreFireProof
Last edited by Budget_player_cadet on Mar 13, 2017, 11:09:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info