(2.6) 20 charge Surgebinders Onslaught EK Raider.

Important: Update schedule: I intend to improve and correct the build until the end of 2.6. I have a list of updates and corrections at the bottom of the build.

Important: Questions, advice, and corrections: I want this Surgebinders to be as good as I can make it. To that end, I will do my best to answer any questions people have if you post them here. I also welcome advice for improvements (polite advice), and any mathematical corrections.

INTRODUCTION:

Greetings all, as this will be my first build guide. I am still new to this, so this build is by no means perfect. However it should be a reasonable jumping off point for those who want a sweet charge orb rave party such as myself.

I will be detailing the specific build version that I chose to play, a Raider, taking advantage of her frenzy charge and onslaught ascendancy passives. It also should be quite viable, if not better, to play as an Assassin utilizing the noxious strike passive and blood rage skill in favor of the Raiders abilities.

BUILD CONCEPT:

I want to make those Surgebinders WORK. I also want to have a super sick glowey charge orb rave with all my friends (I totally have friends).

A max roll Surgebinders provide a 7% bonus to spell, physical, and elemental damage, per power, frenzy and endurance charge respectively. The core of this build is maximizing the benefits of having as many of those sweet, shiny, succulent, charges as is reasonable; while minimizing the obvious efficiency problems in a build that requires so many charges. It uses Ethereal knives, hatred, and herald of ash to milk the Surgebinder gauntlets for all they are worth, while also taking advantage of some of the newly buffed (2.6) uniques.

LIGHTING FAST OVERVIEW:

- 20 Total charges. 5 Power, 8 Frenzy, 7 Endurance.
- Other buffs: Hatred aura, Herald of ash, near permanent doubled effectiveness Onslaught.
- Main 6 link: Ethereal knives>Poison>Added fire damage>Increased critical damage>Pierce>Spell echo/Culling strike (I explain these choices in the gem section.)
- Primary defenses: 155% increased maximum life, 98.8% increased max energy shield, 354% increased evasion with max Frenzy charges.
- Secondary defenses: 7 total endurance charges. A whopping total of 210 + 4.4% of max life regen per second. +25 life on kill. Onslaught grants an extra 15% chance to Evade projectiles and a 25% chance to evade melee attacks.
- Elemental resistances: 44% increased elemental resistances with max frenzy charges, before gear.
- Curses: Any of Projectile weakness, Poacher's mark, Assassin's mark, Warlord’s mark.
- Bandits: +40 life, +1 passive OR +5% increased cast speed, +1 max Endurance charge.

PASIVE TREE LINK:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAIBAABeAdEDHgUtBx4ILg3RDkgPqxB7ES8RlhLhEvEVIBa_FyYZihmOGbQfQSLqI_YkiyT9JpUrCi1NLYMvcjIBNj053T7PQdBDMUPnRnFJE0lRS1dNklFHVP5VS1WFWhpb9F3yX7Bh4mHrYqxjQ2qMa5BsjG-ecFJ07XXLdf15oXpTeoR674MJhG-ExYTvidOJ4IuZjDaNfY1-kx-VLpcGm42btZ2qnsShIqJAotmi6qOKpcumvq_rsNiyGbQMtUi5b73mvjq-p8DjwQDDM8M6xKLIFMpKzZjPetCt037UQtrB2xrjhOZY51TqYutj7YPuDu968NXxs_T49Uv1b_aj-WP_3g==

PROS:
Spoiler
- This build is fun, frantic, and fast as hell, encouraging you to rush maps to keep all your charges up.
- It levels remarkably well with some decent leveling gear, and requires very little respecing depending on personal preference.
- Relatively inexpensive, requiring less than 15 chaos to buy its core items.
- Scales exponentially with more endurance investment.
- Awesome for party play with Hatred aura and 20 rave power orbs shared with the Conduit keystone.
- As far as I can tell it should be hardcore viable with its reasonable defense mechanics. Take this with a grain of salt, as my internet is hot garbage and I die during disconnects all the time. Due to this I have never even attempted hardcore.

CONS:
Spoiler
- Not new player friendly.
- Leveling requires you to know what you are doing, and getting intelligence and strength while leveling is a problem.
- Mana sustain is really annoying while leveling, but can be solved with some mana leach items.
- Despite the low budget, gearing can be exhausting.
- Reflect is very difficult to deal with.

THE SYNERGY:
Spoiler
This is the synergy that allows for efficient cramming of elemental, chaos, physical, projectile, spell, and crit damage all onto the same attack.

First we need an skill that befits fully from the Surgebinders buffs. The max Surgebinders provide a 7% bonus to spell, physical, and elemental damage, based off of the number of charges the character has. As the Surgebinders are based around charges, we also need a skill that utilities the charges themselves. We start as the ranger, so we need a projectile damage skill to take full advantage of our starting position. That narrows our selection to spells that deal physical damage, are a projectile and can crit, as we can resort to other methods to get our elemental damage. Boom, ethereal knives.

Now that we have our skill, we need to set about scaling it. Here are a few numbers:

Surgebinders 7% buffs provide us with: 35% increased spell damage (5 Power charges), 56% increased elemental damage (8 Frenzy charges) and, 49% increased physical damage (7 Endurance charges)

If we pretend that we got all max rolled uniques, adding our passive tree, Surgebinder buffs, charge buffs,other uniques, and skill gems we get these numbers:
- 32% increased damage.
- 248% increased physical damage, 30-92 added physical damage.
- 166% increased projectile damage.
- 130% increased chaos damage, 15% physical damage as extra chaos damage (Total of 40% when using Atzri's Promise)
- 100% increased elemental damage, 35-45 added lighting damage, and 96% physical damage as extra elemental damage (Total of 111% when using Atzri's Promise).
- 96% increased spell damage
- 39% increased poison damage
- 422% increased crit chance, 188% increased crit multiplyer.
- 84% increased cast speed.

That is a ton of damage potential, and combined with the poison support gem it scales even more ridiculously. Poison deals 8% of an attack physical and chaos damage per second for two seconds. Just with those numbers and Atzri's Promise alone it would be good, but the Poison support gem also inherits the damage types of its supported attack gem, making it scale from projectile and spell damage as well.

CHARGE TOTAL AND UPKEEP:
Spoiler
The charges are the all important rave party part of this build and their totals and upkeep are all important.

Charge totals:
- Power, 3 base, +1 passive tree, +1 Storm Prison, total=5
- Frenzy, 3 base, +3 passive tree, +1 ascendancy, +1 rare boots. total=8
- Endurance, 3 base, +1 passive tree, +1 Kaom’s way, +1 rare belt, +1 bandits total=7

Upkeep: More specific upkeep numbers are posted in the numbers section, but suffice it to say, as long as you have trash to kill, or rares to smack you will have most to all the required charges. If you ever find you are running low on a charge type, bring along its respective curse and the boost supplied should provide everything you need.

ONSLAUGHT CAST AND MOVEMENT SPEED:
Spoiler
Onslaught and the Raider's Avatar of the Chase ascendancy grants the 40% increased cast speed required for the builds dps.

It also provides a 40% movement speed buff. When combined with the 2% per frenzy charge (8 max frenzy charges) movement speed buff from the Raider's Avatar of the Slaughter ascendancy, we get a hilarious total of 56% increased movement speed before boots, and before the silly amount of increase granted by a good Rotgut flask.

Onslaught is granted on kill and stays for 4.2 seconds. More detailed numbers in the numbers section.

GEM SETTUP AND EXPLANATION:
Spoiler
Main attack:
- 4-link: Ethereal knives>Poison>Added fire damage>Increased critical damage
- 5-link: Ethereal knives>Poison>Added fire damage>Increased critical damage>Pierce
- 6-link: Ethereal knives>Poison>Added fire damage>Increased critical damage>Pierce>Culling strike/Spell echo

Ethereal knives: For this builds odd scaling, demanded by the rangers starting position and the surgebinders ability, I needed an skill that: Was a spell, dealt physical damage, had projectiles, could crit, and was easy to add chaos and elemental damage to. Ethereal knives was really the only option.

Poison support: This build gets a TON of mileage out of poison. Poison scales with an attacks Physical damage, Chaos damage, poison damage, and Damage Over Time. It also inherits scaling of the gem it supports, meaning it also scales with spell and projectile damage. This build scales every one of its damage types excluding DOT, and with multiple applications of poison it melts things to slag. Popping the Atari's promise flask with this gem makes it even more devastating, as it scales even more with the extra Chaos damage provided.

Added fire damage support: In any other build this would be a spell echo gem. However, this build gets large boost to cast speed from its near permanent onslaught buff, and is in need of elemental damage it can scale with the Surgebinders ability's.

Increased critical damage support: With 5 power charges floating constantly around your head and some other passive crit sources, this build crits all the time. This gem is a huge damage boost given all the other scaling the build has.

Pierce support: More projectile damage, and a chance for those projectiles to hit more people. Whats not to love.

Culling strike support: This one is a bit iffy It is a good gem, it scales the builds damage to even more insane amounts, however, it could also be very easily replaced by spell echo or mana leach.

Buff set up:
- 4-link: Hatred>Herald of ash>Empower>Enlighten

Hatred + Herald of ash: These are the builds very important source of elemental damage. Given that the build has so much physical scaling, a %of physical as added elemental damage is a much better boost that other sources.

Empower: Higher gem level = more dps = less problems

Enlighten: Needed because of empower.

Enduring cry

Enduring cry>Improved AOE

Enduring cry: The most reliable source of endurance charges by far. Awesome for leveling, awsome for endgame, awesome all the time.

Improved AOE: Makes all the stuff better. Just do it.

Other stuff:
Throw a curse + AOE support in there somewhere, Any of Projectile weakness, Poacher's mark, Assassin's mark, Warlord’s mark, and you're good.

GEAR AND BUYER'S GUIDE:
Spoiler
The build is formed around a large number of specific items. I still need to buy some of the items, so not all are linked yet.

Uniques: Surgebinders, Storm Prison, Obliteration, The Restless Ward. Kaom’s Way, Ring of blades.

Rares: +1 max endurance charge belt, Agate amulet with high intelligence and lots of elemental resit and hp, +1 frenzy charge boots with elemental resist + movement speed OR Dark ray vectors.

Flasks: Rotgut, Atziri's Promise, Jade flask of reflexes. Then any burn/chill/bleed/shock negating flasks that you can find.

Leveling items: The Blood dance, The Three Dragons, Le Heup of All, Kaom's sign.

With some optional items: Voll’s devotion, Dark ray vectors, Doedre’s Elixir, Sin’s rebirth, Taste of hate.

Most of the necessary core uniques are laughably low priced, with Surgebinders, Storm Prison, Obliteration and Rotgut sitting at about an Alk at time of writing. Ring of blades and Atziri's Promise are a bit more expensive siting at 1-2 chaos. And Kaom’s Way is the most expensive at 5 Chaos.

The expense starts to go up when looking for the boots, amulet and belt. Getting what you need with some elemental resistances thrown in can be difficult and expensive, so set up a Whoop search and hope for a good deal.

DETAILED BUYERS GUIDE:

Here's a detailed breakdown of the most important stats needed on the items, and why. Variable stats are listed in order of importance to the build, and then explained. All of the gear prices I list are based of of the legacy league prices at time of writing.

Uniques:
Spoiler
- Surgebinders: Spell damage, physical damage, elemental damage, armour and evasion.

These suckers are the core of your build, so find a good pair. You can skimp a bit on the elemental damage, but get as close to a 7%,7%,7% pair as you can.

- Storm Prison: Power charge on kill, Physical damage, Mana regeneration,spell damage,lightning Damage.

This wand does a ton of things for this build so again, get a good one. Power charge on kill is stupid important, don't settle for anything under 33%. Physical damage and mana regen are rather interchangeable in importance depending on your personal preference. Lighting damage is your dump stat.

- Obliteration, Physical damage as extra chaos damage, Physical damage, spell damage, Critical strike chance.

Just get a 15% Physical damage as extra chaos damage on this one trust me. The added Physical damage and spell damage are both super important, as this wand does a ton for you base damage. Critical strike chance is nice but your power charges are a better source.

- The Restless Ward: All stats are equally important except for maximum mana.

Splurge and get the best one you can. This is a massive source of your staying poer, and you will want to invest a ton of currency into it to get at least a 5 link.

- Kaom’s Way: Life, Strength, life gain on hit.

Honestly you can get away with almost any stats on this ring. The endurance charge and life regen per endurance charge are what we are after.

- Ring of blades: As close to a 15% physical damage boost one as you can get. You mostly just need it for its threshold capability.

Rares:
Spoiler
- Corrupted +1 max endurance charge belt

You can get away with a basic cheap one for a while, but you really want some life and elemental resistance on this sucker. Keep a look out for good deals.

- Awesome agate amulet

You will want at least 20 intelligence. Get as much resistance as you can get as well, with life and ES being a very important second.

- Corrupted +1 frenzy charge boots

These are boots y'all. Get movement speed, elemental resistances and Evasion+Energy shield. You could also change these out for Dark ray vectors, but only if you have some seriously steller Heath, elemental resistance and Energy shield rolls on the rest of your equipment.

Flasks:
Spoiler
- Rotgut: Increased charges used (You want the 50% not the 100%), Movement speed.

As your lord and savior Sonic commands, you gotta go fast. This flask is Awesome for this build you gain Frenzy charges so fast consuming them barely maters, and max 8 frenzy charges + some of the Raiders ascendancy skills mean a whopping 22.4 second duration Onslaught.

- Atziri's Promise: Extra chaos damage, Extra elemental damage.

Drink pot. Kill all things. This flask give a massive damage bonus to this build, as it scales so many damage types.

- Jade flask of reflexes.

Even more awesome damage avoiding potential. Try to get longer duration as well.

Leveling items:
Spoiler
- The Blood dance: These boots are freaking great for leveling this build. Movement speed per frenzy charge, life regen, 6% increased damage to low life enemy per frenzy charge Woo! And yet again they are super cheap! However, like the Dark ray vectors, there are problems. You lose a max frenzy charge, witch is huge. They also have a low evasion, and no other defensive stats including elemental resistances. Great for leveling, but otherwise use at your own discretion.

- The Three Dragons: This is cheap, easy to find, low leveled, and provides a very much needed 30% boost to all elemental resistances.

- Le Heup of All: Rather pricey, but gives some much needed intelligence and strength, along with the much needed elemental resistance. Throw in a flat damage boost, and if you get one that is good enough it can carry you well into end game.

- Kaom's sign: A cheap way to get +1 max endurance charge until you get its much better older brother Kaom's way.

Optional equipment:
Spoiler
- Voll’s devotion: This amulet is good stuff. It ensures a near constant flow of endurance charges meaning more durability. It costs an more than an exult though and its not necessary unless you have some spare cash.

- Dark ray vectors: Lets face it, these boots are awesome for this build. Even more movement and dodge in top of everything else, good lighting resistance, and yet again super inexpensive. However, these are amour/evasion boots, and unless you get some serious Energy shield and elemental resistances from your other equipment, they are simply not worth it.

- Doedre’s Elixir: Gives you some charges to start of your rampage. Also hurts you. Very cheap, so it could be used for leveling I guess. Rotgut negates the need for it though.

- Sin’s rebirth: Damage for dolla's y'all.

- Taste of hate: Even more damage for even more dolla's.

DA BORING NUMBERS
Spoiler
Damage and associates:
Spoiler
- Total damage: 4% increased total damage per frenzy charge (8 max) for a total of 32% increased damage.
- Skill damage. 38% increased skill damage from culling strike.
- Physical: 124% increased physical damage from passive nodes. Up to 60% increased physical damage from Storm Prison. Up to 15 % increased physical damage from Ring of blades Up to 7% increased physical damage per endurance charge (max 7) from Surgebinders, totaling 49%. Up to 30-92 added physical damage from Obliteration. Total of 248% increased physical damage + 30-92 added physical damage.
- Projectile: 147% increased projectile damage from passives. 19% increased projectile damage from peirce support gem. Total of 166% increased projectile damage.
- Chaos: 130% increased chaos damage from passives. 15% physical damage as extra chaos damage from Obliteration.
- Elemental: 44% increased elemental damage from passives. Up to 7% increased elemental damage per frenzy charge (8 max) from Surgebinders totaling 56%. 15% physical damage as extra fire damage from Herald of ash. 44% physical damage as extra fire damage from Added fire damage. 37% of physical Damage as extra cold damage from Hatred. Up to 35-45 lightning damage from Storm Prison. Total of 100% increased elemental damage, and 96% physical damage as extra elemental damage.
- Spell: 12% increased spell damage from passives. Up to 15% increased spell damage from Storm Prison. Up to 35% increased spell damage from Obliteration.Up to 7% increased spell damage per power charge (5 max) from Surgebinders totaling 34%. Total of 96% increased spell damage.
- Crit: 140% increased Crit chance from passives. 50% increased crit chance per power charge (5 max) totaling 250%increased crit chance. Up to 32% increased crit chance from Obliteration. Totaling 422% increased crit chance. 85% crit multiplyer from passives. 103% crit multiplyer from Increased critical damage support. Totaling 188% increased crit multiplyer.
- Cast speed: 16% increased cast speed from passives. 4% increased cast speed per frenzy charge (7-8 max) totaling 28-32% increased cast speed. Onslaught grants 40% increased cast speed. Totaling to a maximum of 84% increased cast speed.

Defenses:
Spoiler
- Life: 155% increased maximum life from passive nodes. +52 life from strength.
- Energy shield: 75% increased energy shield from passive nodes passive nodes. 24.8% increased energy shield from intelligence. Total of 98.8% increased energy shield.
- Evasion: 262% increased evasion from passive nodes. 60% increased evasion from dexterity. 4% increased evasion per frenzy charge. For a total of 354% increased evasion with all Frenzy charges. Onslaught also grants a 15% chance to Evade projectiles and a 25% chance to evade melee attacks during its duration.
- Endurance charges: 7 total. Making for a total of 28% physical and elemental Damage reduction/resistance.
- Life Regen: 1.6% life regen from the passive tree, and a monumental 30 life regen per second per endurance charge from The Restless Ward plus another 0.4% of max life regen per endurance charge from Kaom’s sign. For a whopping total of 210 + 4.4% of max life regen per second when all 7 endurance charges are up.
- Life on kill: Total of +25 life on kill from passive nodes
Elemental resistances: 16% from the passive tree + 4% per endurance charge (7 total) makes for 44% increased elemental resistances. This must be built around with gear.

Buff sustain:
Spoiler
- Acquiring all charges: The Conduit passive tree cluster to gives a total of 12% to gain a Power, Frenzy or Endurance charge on kill. It is possible, but not particularly necessary, to craft an extra 16 chance gain a Power, Frenzy or Endurance charge on kill to an off hand wand, using an Essence of Horror for leveling.
- Acquiring Power charges: The Storm Prison unique wand adds up to a 35% chance to gain a power charge on kill.
-Acquiring Frenzy charges: The Way of the Poacher Raider ascendancy node grants a 20% chance to gain a frenzy charge on kill, and whenever you hit a rare or unique.
-Acquiring Endurance charges: A corrupted talisman would provide a 10% chance to gain an endurance charge on kill. Or for those with more dolla dolla bills, the Voll’s devotion unique amulet, grants endurance charges whenever a power charge wears off or is consumed.
-Charge duration: The duration of all charges is increased 100% by the Restless Ward. Various passive nodes bring the total charge durations to: Power 118%, Frenzy 190%, Endurance 118%. With the optional Valls devotion amulet, power and endurance charge durations are decreased by 30%.
- Onslaught: The Rapid Assault Raider passive node grants Onslaught for 3 seconds on kill. Other nodes grant 40% increased Onslaught duration, bringing the total duration to 4.2 seconds.

UPDATE HISTORY:
Spoiler
3/9/17:
- Fixed some spelling and math errors.
- Added an explanation to the gem section, along with a 4 and 5 link setup.
- Rearranged some minor things that made more sense being somewhere else in the guide.
- Fixed the massive text wall in the combo section.

3/14/18:
- Fixed more spelling errors.
- Made some changes to the gem section.
- Added a section for leveling gear.
- Moved some stuff around in the gear section based on leveling experience.

Last edited by Myithic on Mar 15, 2017, 12:28:12 PM
Last bumped on Apr 11, 2017, 11:05:09 PM
This build looks wild. Going to level it today. How far have you managed to get it?
Last edited by FuccBoi3001 on Mar 17, 2017, 5:50:49 PM
I love the detail in this guide! One thing that I can see that would make it better is a good leveling section detailing passives trees at certain level increments, which ascendancy points to take in which order, at what level to start wearing the certain uniques of the build and how does that change the playstyle when you are able to equip them.

Im definitely going to start this build up and give it a shot, i'll keep you posted on how it goes.
Alright, I've hit level 70 with this character but I'm running into a pretty big problem.

It is impossible to play this character without Mana Leech support but because of that my dps sufffers pretty substanitally - how would I circumvent this? Currently running a 5l with EK - Added Fire - Poison - Spell Echo - Mana Leech and its kind of dreadful atm because its essentially a 4l lol
Last edited by FuccBoi3001 on Mar 19, 2017, 3:17:35 AM
The %Physical damage on the weapons doesn't add any damage whatsoever. Just so you know, since EK is a spell it only gets spell damage from weapons and so on. But if it's %physical damage on passive tree or belt then it adds up since the %physical damage only affects the physical damage on the weapon. So if there is 50-100 Physical damage on the weapon 50%physical damage will grant 75-150 damage only to the weapon and not to the actual spell EK.
how do you management mana issue with ek, with vinktar as the only mana leech option?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info