Ingame Performance with AMD Ryzen "Zen" CPUs

"
miljan wrote:

I think higher clock speed will stay more important than having two more cores in gaming in future (6vs8). People said similar things about older multi core amd CPUs (dont remember the name of the architecture )and we see now, that they actually didn't do that good

I saw an interesting graph a couple of days ago:

Yellow bar is relevant here, apparently over the last 5 years games learned how to utilize more than 4 cores. This trend will likely continue so in order to be future proof I would still get an 8-corer instead of a faster 4-corer. Maybe a 6-corer as a compromise, depending on how overclockable it is compared to an 8-corer.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
miljan wrote:

I think higher clock speed will stay more important than having two more cores in gaming in future (6vs8). People said similar things about older multi core amd CPUs (dont remember the name of the architecture )and we see now, that they actually didn't do that good

Yellow bar is relevant here, apparently over the last 5 years games learned how to utilize more than 4 cores. This trend will likely continue so in order to be future proof I would still get an 8-corer instead of a faster 4-corer. Maybe a 6-corer as a compromise, depending on how overclockable it is compared to an 8-corer.

Explained: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylvdSnEbL50
> Alt Arts for Sale: /view-thread/3260276

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!
"
Doe wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
miljan wrote:

Explained: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylvdSnEbL50

Better watch this one as it is less biased (and actually does the testing him self) compared to that channel that is well known for being very pro AMD and that doesnt do testing himself, but relies on other sites, where he chary pics the ones that suites him better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76-8-4qcpPo
Last edited by miljan on Mar 13, 2017, 3:59:47 PM
Dont forget 1 thing.
POE will be soon on XBOX.
And XBOX uses AMD's cpu's.

Also many other games are both consoles(Xbox,PS4) and pc's.
So AMD ryzen is not a bad choise for future.
Most gaming companys will for sure optimise they game engine.
First example is ashes of the singularity. We saw up to 35% performance boost.
"
pmpindu wrote:
Dont forget 1 thing.
POE will be soon on XBOX.
And XBOX uses AMD's cpu's.

Also many other games are both consoles(Xbox,PS4) and pc's.
So AMD ryzen is not a bad choise for future.
Most gaming companys will for sure optimise they game engine.
First example is ashes of the singularity. We saw up to 35% performance boost.

This is all about OS/Firmware/BIOS atm. There will be more coming soon =)

I ordered my Ryzen, missing the am4 bracket for the cooler atm, should arrive this week, so i can finally come up with some numbers =)

Ryzen Specs

AMD Ryzen 1700x
16GB (2x 8192MB) G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 DIMM CL14-14-14-34 Dual Kit
Asus CROSSHAIR VI HERO X370
EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750w(The Mobo needs 8 + 4Pin for CPU)
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (OS Drive)
2*Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (File Drives)

Fractal Design Define S (Case)
Alphacool KOI Eisbär 360 (CPU Cooler)
3* NF-A14 PPC 2000PWM (Case Fans)

Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extrem (will be replaced in a month for a 1080ti, not sure which i will pick)

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!
Last edited by Doe on Apr 3, 2017, 8:40:53 AM
One major thing AMD has going for it over Intel, is AMD doesn't change chipsets every 2 gens like Intel does. So a decent AM4 socket motherboard purchased right now with support for higher end DDR4 memory will still be a decent motherboard in 5 years. You'll be able to just slap a new CPU in that AM4 motherboard. You have a wider range of upgradeability, for a longer period of time if you go with AMD.

And unless you have a retail license, Windows won't transfer if you replace your motherboard. The license is tied to your motherboard, so that's another $100-$130 you save for not having to buy another OEM license after you upgrade your processor.

For this reason, I'd say Ryzen is a good choice for someone building a budget PC. Just don't go too cheap on your motherboard. Get a decent mid range motherboard, so if you decide to upgrade your CPU in 4-5 years, and put faster ram in, you have the option of doing so.

If you're an enthusiast gamer who builds new PCs every 2 years, there is no reason to not stick with Intel.

FYI, I5 2500k, if it's OC'd to at least 4.5ghz is still good for 95%+ of games, meaning it won't bottleneck on a 60hz monitor. That's a 6 year old CPU. The games it does CPU bottleneck on, also bottleneck on newer CPUs in most cases, because the game/s are unoptimized junk. Recommended specs I7 4770k, yeah, still runs 60fps on an OC'd I5 2500k in every case I've seen.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Apr 3, 2017, 11:53:31 AM
"
K3ll06s wrote:
Hiho,
First my specs :)http://valid.x86.fr/eyqpg8

Asus Crosshair VI Hero, G-Skill 16GB 3200-Cl14, Ryzen 7 1800x with a Macho Rev. B from Thermaltake, Asus R9 280x and a M.2 Samsung Evo

PoE runns in DX11 at over 180 FPS and if someone fools around with the physics im dropping down to 100 ^^ Frametimes are at 6ms-11ms

BUT, if you plan on upgrading soon be aware that most of the Software is kinda Beta-Stage. Windows is strange sometimes, it wont load anything and i have to restart.
The BIOS versions are okayish but not stable on most settings and alot of Ram isnt supported
So ATM im running a low-freq Cpu (3.8ghz 1.35v) to get "enough" power on low heat.
But here is my system at a higher clock http://valid.x86.fr/2bdura
I tried to get it over 4Ghz, but system was unstable and since i cant read the temperatures on windows i didnt fool around and waiting for a better BIOS. I hope i will get it to 4.15-4.2 Ghz in the long run :)

If you are aware of these problems then go ahead and try it out, the price/performance is amazing, alot of applications at the same time are no problem and imo its a future proof investment.

Benchmarks are available all over youtube, but handle with care it's a new tech and some things have to be adapted to get even more fps, so i hope the industry will give them a try and make use of the 8-16 threads :)

Question what settings are you running at? I have 1700X at stock frequencies and a 290X gpu and I'm getting 40-60 fps. It just seams odd.
"
"
K3ll06s wrote:
Hiho,
First my specs :)http://valid.x86.fr/eyqpg8

Asus Crosshair VI Hero, G-Skill 16GB 3200-Cl14, Ryzen 7 1800x with a Macho Rev. B from Thermaltake, Asus R9 280x and a M.2 Samsung Evo

PoE runns in DX11 at over 180 FPS and if someone fools around with the physics im dropping down to 100 ^^ Frametimes are at 6ms-11ms

BUT, if you plan on upgrading soon be aware that most of the Software is kinda Beta-Stage. Windows is strange sometimes, it wont load anything and i have to restart.
The BIOS versions are okayish but not stable on most settings and alot of Ram isnt supported
So ATM im running a low-freq Cpu (3.8ghz 1.35v) to get "enough" power on low heat.
But here is my system at a higher clock http://valid.x86.fr/2bdura
I tried to get it over 4Ghz, but system was unstable and since i cant read the temperatures on windows i didnt fool around and waiting for a better BIOS. I hope i will get it to 4.15-4.2 Ghz in the long run :)

If you are aware of these problems then go ahead and try it out, the price/performance is amazing, alot of applications at the same time are no problem and imo its a future proof investment.

Benchmarks are available all over youtube, but handle with care it's a new tech and some things have to be adapted to get even more fps, so i hope the industry will give them a try and make use of the 8-16 threads :)

Question what settings are you running at? I have 1700X at stock frequencies and a 290X gpu and I'm getting 40-60 fps. It just seams odd.

GPU bottleneck there, when iam playing poe my GPU usage is mostly 95-100% while CPU is arround 20-30% with mtulithreading on. (DX11Beta, everything lower than DX11 Seems to be not that gr8 with Ryzen)

FPS is most of the time 100+ (while action is going on), if i having pingspikes (100+ms with lockstep) you have some fps drops below 100, but that's more a lockstep thing not a hardware issue.

A little off topic, but since scaling my build plans down from a 4K build to a 1080p streaming build I have been thinking more about a Ryzen processor.

I also purchased a refurb EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti CLASSIFIED GAMING ACX 2.0+ straight from EVGA's "B Stock Page" so I have a 1 year warranty and everything.

Cost me $290, and it will tear through everything in 1080p no problem.
anything is everything
"
Manocean wrote:
A little off topic, but since scaling my build plans down from a 4K build to a 1080p streaming build I have been thinking more about a Ryzen processor.

I also purchased a refurb EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti CLASSIFIED GAMING ACX 2.0+ straight from EVGA's "B Stock Page" so I have a 1 year warranty and everything.

Cost me $290, and it will tear through everything in 1080p no problem.

ye i tested a couplestream setups already. (zotac 980 involved here and a 1700x)

i can fairly do 1080P30FPS on medium/low profile with 60ish%cpu usage playing poe w/o noticing streaming it.

if u are overall interested in some stream setting tests i can do that for you (even live if u want), just shot me a pm or pm me a way to get in chat with u :P

Last edited by Doe on Apr 13, 2017, 9:55:39 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info