The free marketplace of ideas and the power of controversy

"
Did CPAC shut down free speech when they rescinded Milo's invitation? Because I'm not asking for anything more than that.

Is CPAC a private or public organization? If private they can do whatever they want and revoke invitations to whomever they want.

Schools that finance themselves from public money (even if just partially), OTOH cannot just shut down speakers that have been invited by student organizations attending that school. Especially if they do it in a violent / illegal manner.

If some students want to listen to Milo - they should be able to
If some students want to listen to conservative creationist theories - they should be able to
If some students want to listen to liberal gender theories - they should be able to

...etc. regardless if you or I agree with those theories.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:
"
Did CPAC shut down free speech when they rescinded Milo's invitation? Because I'm not asking for anything more than that.

Is CPAC a private or public organization? If private they can do whatever they want and revoke invitations to whomever they want.

Schools that finance themselves from public money (even if just partially), OTOH cannot just shut down speakers that have been invited by student organizations attending that school. Especially if they do it in a violent / illegal manner.

If some students want to listen to Milo - they should be able to
If some students want to listen to conservative creationist theories - they should be able to
If some students want to listen to liberal gender theories - they should be able to

...etc. regardless if you or I agree with those theories.

The university allowed it, it is the students that protested. The legal loophole is that the university cannot, the student organizations can. Harass the student organizations until they rescinded their invitation. It is true.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info