Pro Vax or Anti Vax

"
Perq wrote:
If you want pandemics, sure, throw them all away. :2

Seriously tho, the rise of alternative medicine, flat earth theorists, and all other sort of conspiracy theorists makes me wonder when the next WWIII will blow up in our faces. Because at this point is isn't even question of if, but when... :(

All this is a sign that society is sick. When society is sick and people feel there's something wrong - or a lot of somethings - they start embracing all sorts of ideas contrary to the established ones. Some people, like Scrotie, are intelligent and skeptical, so they go about it in a rational manner: Why should we think the establishment has our best interest in heart? I don't. Who said we should trust anything they tell us? I think we should question everything. These people are more of an exception. The majority goes, well, alternative something.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Not saying that you should, nor that I do. But saying that Earth is flat cuz government is lying to you won't bring you nowhere near to what they are doing with your life. :P
Being alternative to someone who is wrong doesn't necessarily makes you right. It can simply make you wrong in other way.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Yes, of course. I'm just saying everyone is being alternative to the best of their ability, and not everyone is blessed with a big, throbbing brain :P
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
I think as long as you don't have some condition that you could worsen with vaccines (ie weak immune system etc), the risk/reward system says there's no reason not to vaccinate.

I was raised by a very carebear mother who had (well, she still has) a bad condition of a sort that I hereditary have in a very very small way. Anyhow, I was never vaccinated after the initial time when I was like 3.
I also pretty much almost never taken antibiotics. And I don't take medicine when I don't have to (ie shit like painkillers, aspirin, anethstesia at dentist's office etc)

looking back I'm prolly healthy enough with that condition being negligible none of these things would've hurt me. and I'm pretty sure if my kids don't have a trace of that or similar condition, I'm vaccinating them for sure. with that said, I will always suggest everyone take only as much medicine as they really need and not overdo it.

finally, medicine is important, but it's also important to research shit and question doctors decisions. this is more in general, but extremely important. you can't just accept what one guy tells you on some 'they know more than me' shit.
there were second opinions that saved people I know from being misdiagnosed and having to take some very powerful medicine they didn't actually need. all while paying thousands of dollars.
@Grepman: Couldn't agree more with everything you said.

About the situation with doctors in my country: per current statistics, 90% of Bulgarian medical students leave the country to work abroad after graduation. You can imagine the average quality of our remaining physicians. The result is, if you have a medical issue, you'd better collect as much information on it as you can, because to expect a doctor will help you would be naive.
Last edited by Bars on Feb 28, 2017, 3:12:06 AM
"
Bars wrote:
"
Perq wrote:

Seriously tho, the rise of alternative medicine, flat earth theorists, and all other sort of conspiracy theorists makes me wonder when the next WWIII will blow up in our faces. Because at this point is isn't even question of if, but when... :(
All this is a sign that society is sick. When society is sick and people feel there's something wrong - or a lot of somethings - they start embracing all sorts of ideas contrary to the established ones. Some people, like Scrotie, are intelligent and skeptical, so they go about it in a rational manner: Why should we think the establishment has our best interest in heart? I don't. Who said we should trust anything they tell us? I think we should question everything. These people are more of an exception. The majority goes, well, alternative something.
The biggest problem I see in conspiracy theories is the failure to consider the potential for false dichotomies. For example, consider the Matrix trilogy: the Matrix was a false narrative and the apparent alternative, the Oracle, was also a false narrative. This structure has numerous and obvious advantages over a mono-narrative propaganda structure, which begs the question: if we assume powerful forces are conducting a massive campaign to keep the public away from the truth of a matter (presumably, for their continued exploitation of a situation), then why wouldn't they adopt a double-layered propaganda strategy? Limited resources? Incompetence? Negligence?

Even this thread's title assumes a dichotomy, two narratives. Not three or more.

For example, consider this possibility: in a case of standard corruption, the CDC regularly overpays for vaccines and covers up widespread instances of very poor product quality, so long as such imperfections are more placebo than plague. No global conspiracy to reduce population or spread autism; those are manufactured "Oracle-tier" false narrative. Then, if someone calls for an audit of the CDC, the "anti-vaxxers" take to the news praising the move as a strike at the heart of the evil Illuminati, and the "pro-vaxxers" condemn the move as sympathetic to insane conspiracy theorists and attempt to block an audit.

Because of this, when I see conspiracy theories popularized, my gut instinct is indeed to disbelieve the official narrative. However, this is not matched by an inclination to believe the popular counter-narrative; instead, I tend towards viewing both more critically.

Just some food for thought.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 28, 2017, 3:22:35 AM
@Scrotie: also agree with that. It's an old propaganda trick: maintain a main narrative, then use agents to oppose this narrative with an utterly ridiculous, insane counter story. This creates the opportunity to use two logical fallacies with impunity:

- if you're against the main narrative, you're with the ridiculous counter story
- the counter story is ridiculous and insane, thus the main narrative is correct

Information contamination is the main issue. Orwell looked at the Soviet totalitarian regime and warned against a society built on information control and scarcity; Huxley looked at the developing Western world and predicted information overload to the point where it all fades into a kind of background noise. It seems Huxley was right.

It's getting increasingly difficult to find reliable information nowadays, especially on politically or financially loaded issues.
Last edited by Bars on Feb 28, 2017, 3:58:22 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Bars wrote:
"
Perq wrote:

The biggest problem I see in conspiracy theories is the failure to consider the potential for false dichotomies. For example, consider the Matrix trilogy: the Matrix was a false narrative and the apparent alternative, the Oracle, was also a false narrative. This structure has numerous and obvious advantages over a mono-narrative propaganda structure, which begs the question: if we assume powerful forces are conducting a massive campaign to keep the public away from the truth of a matter (presumably, for their continued exploitation of a situation), then why wouldn't they adopt a double-layered propaganda strategy? Limited resources? Incompetence? Negligence?

Even this thread's title assumes a dichotomy, two narratives. Not three or more.

For example, consider this possibility: in a case of standard corruption, the CDC regularly overpays for vaccines and covers up widespread instances of very poor product quality, so long as such imperfections are more placebo than plague. No global conspiracy to reduce population or spread autism; those are manufactured "Oracle-tier" false narrative. Then, if someone calls for an audit of the CDC, the "anti-vaxxers" take to the news praising the move as a strike at the heart of the evil Illuminati, and the "pro-vaxxers" condemn the move as sympathetic to insane conspiracy theorists and attempt to block an audit.

Because of this, when I see conspiracy theories popularized, my gut instinct is indeed to disbelieve the official narrative. However, this is not matched by an inclination to believe the popular counter-narrative; instead, I tend towards viewing both more critically.

Just some food for thought.

Another food for though: Contergan.

http://thalidomide.org/web/facts/.

Yeah, that shit is prescribed again..
"
It's getting increasingly difficult to find reliable information nowadays, especially on politically or financially loaded issues.

Quite true.

Vax is the same problem as democracy problem or communism problem.
Take some really good idea and turn it to shit by corrupting it with money, greed and power.
"
poor_hobbit wrote:
"

Quite true.

Vax is the same problem as democracy problem or communism problem.
Take some really good idea and turn it to shit by corrupting it with money, greed and power.

Like PoE?

/snap

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info