How the AoE changes affect Melee Splash and Slayer's Impact

These calculations assume that Melee Splash and Impact both continue to have a base radius of 14, as no mention of base radius changes for either were in the manifesto.

Old Calculations: π(Radius+AoE modifiers)^2
New Calculations: (πRadius^2)x AoE modifiers

Current L20 Melee Splash: 871.96 area
New L20 Melee Splash: 849.73 area (-2.6% difference)
Current L20 Melee Splash+ L20 Inc AoE: 1684.72 area
New L20 Melee Splash+ L20 Inc AoE: 1266.10 area (-24.9% difference)

Current Slayer Impact: 814.33 area
New Slayer Impact: 800.47 area (-1.8% difference)
Current Slayer Impact + L20 Inc AoE: 1460.31 area
New Slayer Impact + L20 Inc AoE: 1103.70 area (-24.5% difference)

Essentially, if you're just using Melee Splash or Impact without any additional modifications, the AoE is going to be roughly the same as what you're used to. But investing in AoE won't scale the size as large anymore.
Last bumped on Feb 26, 2017, 9:22:45 PM
I kind of get the desire to un-aoe melee since offscreening stuff as "melee" is absurd. On the other hand, single target attacks are fairly useless in clear speed meta and something tells me spell aoe wasn't nerfed enough (in some cases at all) to close the gap.

Also you should keep in mind one aoe cluster is modest: the losses with heavy investment in aoe will be dramatic.

A bit rip as Slayer with Headsman.

Still waiting on how Flameblast and Cyclone for example fairs on this aoe change.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
Still waiting on how Flameblast and Cyclone for example fairs on this aoe change.

Flameblast (and firestorm) were conspicuous in their absence from that manifesto post.
"
ladish wrote:

Flameblast (and firestorm) were conspicuous in their absence from that manifesto post.

Just pointing out those two as examples, GGG did not name all the AoE skills in the changes. Probably saving the rest for patch note day.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Feb 26, 2017, 8:48:26 PM
im so triggered by this nerfing of melee splash its blowing my mind someone hold me omfg what the hell are they doing is this real life TRIGGEREDSPOLGFKJSDGLKSDJG
ded gaem
by the way is thats true then the images on developer blog is wrong
ded gaem
"
Stormsg wrote:

yeah, Chess wasn't accounting for compensatory buffs, i'd trust the game developers to know their latest math changes more than forum posters :P
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
adghar wrote:
"
Stormsg wrote:

yeah, Chess wasn't accounting for compensatory buffs, i'd trust the game developers to know their latest math changes more than forum posters :P

Well I checked the math myself and it checked out, so unless GGG is not telling us the whole story (e.g. maybe base radius got buffed from 14) then its an overall nerf. But even if its exactly the same I'm still not happy because its not a significant buff at all.
ded gaem
"
adghar wrote:
"
Stormsg wrote:

You can do the math yourself if you'd like. The area of a circle is π times the square of the radius. Current Melee Splash grants 1% increased radius for each level after the first, meaning, 19% increased radius at level 20. Regarding Melee Splash, with the information given in the post, we get this:

π(14x1.19)^2 -> π(16.66)^2-> 277.5556π -> 871.96

The changes to Melee Splash make it grant 2% more area for each level, meaning it won't modify the final total until after we square the radius. Thus, we get:

[π(14)^2] x 1.38 -> 196π x 1.38 -> 615.751 x 1.38 -> 849.737

These calculations were made with the information stated in the manifesto, and assuming that anything not specifically mentioned was unchanged. You're more than welcome to double-check my math as well, and I'll correct anything that's inaccurate or is updated with new information.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info