2.6.0 Area of Effect Changes

it would be cool you add these AoE or range markers in game so we can actually see the area/range that our skills will have.
Last edited by spideySWAG on Feb 27, 2017, 12:48:41 PM
I don't really understand how converting from radius to area has made anything more clear

radius was a linear measurement easily comparable using the distance unit charts that exist out there

now to calculate area you have to square root and then divide by pi? doesn't really make it more clear to me in any way I can tell

I mean we're trying to visualize the size of circles based on its area rather than the radius now

I don't see how that's in any way easier than just looking at how wide the circle is, I mean think about it: when you order pizza do they ask you to pick them based on their numerical area? no! they ask you for the diameter, when you buy balls of different sizes do they ask you about the volume or circular area? fuck no, they ask for the diameter

also area is not an exponential increase based on radius to all those who keep saying that that had to be nerfed

it is geometric in nature being a squared value of the NUMERIC equivalent of area which I don't think was a problem - most AOE's don't care as much about area coverage as distance reached, which means radius is the unit of measurement that is most intuitive to area (at least to me)

hell, you could even argue that area is a linear increase based on radius with that

EDIT: aside from the obvious nerfs to the sad, sad reave, ggg just took the pile of shit lying around that was mines and incinerated it lmao

EDIT: hah I just got how they buffed melee splash - they said they'd put it on par with other melee AOE skills - they did that by nerfing the other melee skills
Last edited by Cosmomancer on Feb 27, 2017, 2:26:13 PM
"
JalapenoBuck wrote:

They claimed it would be a moderate buff as long as you weren't previously massively investing in AoE.

That turned out to be completely false.

It's false only for skills that they didn't reworked. Those skills that got "passive" AoE buff got rly nice buff (see: RF picture)
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
Sweet, great information.

Edit- Soo i fully looked over it now and it seems that there are quite alot of heavy nerfs to area for melee. That really doesnt make sense in the long run especially with Ranged.

Melee splashes "buff" is soo minuscule that it isnt even funny, most people werent running Area of Effect gems either, but people who did now have been massively nerfed.

The one saving grace of some melee skills were their reach, but now it seems melee skills have been hit far harder than spells and ranged skills in terms of the area nerfs.

Soo basically, Ranged/Spell > Melee still, Area of Effect globally nerfed in most cases and melee hit harder than Ranged/Spells in the long run in terms of Area of Effect nerfs.

EDIT 2 - The even bigger question now is, does 15-20% Less Area of Effect modifiers still exist in 2.6 ? They were already huge, i mean HUGE nerfs to melee when it was introduced. If Less Area of Effect still exists its going to make playing melee skills even more miserable because youll need the Area of Effect gem and nodes.

the nerfs affect all the area skills, but melee skills are rebalanced, this means that many spells are nerfed more than melee
I play with my friend LA assasin, who can clear 3 screens away in one blow on T13 map. 3 f**** screens at once. And they are butchering EQ AoE?

Are they dumb or so???

I was planning to play Legacy with some nice tanky EQ juggernaut. But now I'm going to spend next season on standard with my legacy RoTC ranger...
Anticipation slowly dissipates...
This looks for me like doing things for the sake of doing things. No sense at all right now.
AOE was the least problem in the current balancing. Instead of making meleee somehow viable for long term you even nerf it?

Im so disappointed and dehypes my for the upcoming legacy league
Melee splash AOE nerfed? seems legit, long overdue, all those video's of the Melee clear speed meta destroying entire screens and killing shaper in 2 seconds with OPOP Glacial hammer, now we just need some life nerfs and some buffs to the long suffering ES and spell casting builds.

This message has been brought to you by the society to meet nonsensically retarded information with deadpan sarcasm.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
I have been planning to play Oro's Berserker Cyclone... now?

No mention specifically on cyclone, but I imagine it is nerfed?
This is a nerf. Seriously, could you guys make this any more confusing? I think I'll stay on my PoE break a while longer. :D
Ouch. Right in the novas.

I could understand a general AoE nerf for clearspeed reasons. I could understand it if it went along a plain removal of increased AoE nodes in the skill tree. Because for now, I would rather gain 10 int than take any increased AoE node.

Hell ! I would settle for 5 int !
Last edited by polimeris on Feb 27, 2017, 1:33:04 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info