Question on "The Retch" unique dmg mechanic

So lets assume you have endless hunger from the slayer ascendancy, that you have 1000 hp, and are fighting an enemy with infinite hp.

Now lets say you do 1 million dmg in one hit, with 100% leech, that will start a leech instance of 200 hp/sec given the leech cap of 20%; and as I understand the retch, it will deal 400 dmg/sec. This will continue untill the full 1 million dmg has been healed, and twice that has been dealt as damage (5000 seconds).

Now there are two enemies, all stats are the same as before, and you hit each enemy once. Is the retch able to add two dmg instances, essentially ignoring the leech/dmg cap as long as the dots are spread out?

From what I have been able to gather, the retch deals twice the damage of an active leech instance, however, is a leech instance active if it isnt healing you?

Given the fact that the retch stops dealing damage when you reach full life, it seems to me that it must care whether the leech instance is healing you, yet with endless hunger that is no longer a factor, with has led me to wonder if the leech cap then limits it.

Thanks for any answers you might be able to give me!
Last edited by Oaken on Feb 25, 2017, 8:05:34 PM
Last bumped on Feb 26, 2017, 3:39:39 PM
Sorry, can't confirm your main question, but I need to make a nitpick.

At 1000 maximum life, you can't reach 200 Life/sec with one hit unless you have 900% increased leech rate. Each leech instance is 2% of maximum Life times increased leech rate no matter if you deal 5 damage or 5 billion damage or leach 0.1% of damage or 106% of damage.

As for my educated guess about your main question - leech instances probably work just like normal damage over time, where you can have any number of effects on an enemy, but only the highest one is applied. To that end, I would guess with Endless Hunger you can safely deal Retch damage to multiple enemies with no problem.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
You are completely right on the leech part, that detail somehow slipped from my mind. As for my question, I expect the same, since if you aoe a pack, it is very easy to reach max leech, effectively making the retch deal no damage to a portion of the pack. In any case, thanks for the input! :)
"
Oaken wrote:

Given the fact that the retch stops dealing damage when you reach full life, it seems to me that it must care whether the leech instance is healing you, yet with endless hunger that is no longer a factor, with has led me to wonder if the leech cap then limits it.

Not sure if my answer helps but according to the pretty famous "the endless retch" build here:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1655814

If i understand right you can convert your damage to lightning and make the retch deal instant damage with slayer and legacy vinktars. In this case there is no leech cap. Dont know about non instant leech.
"
zzang wrote:
"
Oaken wrote:

Not sure if my answer helps but according to the pretty famous "the endless retch" build here:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1655814

If i understand right you can convert your damage to lightning and make the retch deal instant damage with slayer and legacy vinktars. In this case there is no leech cap. Dont know about non instant leech.

Well, it can also be done with Vaal Pact.

I actually made the Endless Retch build (you can check my characters - ForgotToSpinAgain).

"
Oaken wrote:
From what I have been able to gather, the retch deals twice the damage of an active leech instance, however, is a leech instance active if it isnt healing you?

If you have the Endless Hunger, then the leech remains active until the leech reaches its full amount.

Unless your cap has been increased, no matter how many enemies you hit, no matter how many leech instances you get, it'll be capped.

The Retch's mechanic interacts individually per enemy. It counts towards each individual leech instance against that specific enemy.

At least this is how I see it, given how the mechanics of the Retch were explained by Dakoos and other sources. I could be wrong, and if I am, feel free to correct me.
Last edited by Sentilial on Feb 26, 2017, 7:52:21 AM
"
Sentilial wrote:

If they move VP between scion and duellist it would be great for the build. At least you wouldnt need a legacy vinktars for optimized performance or instant leech.

As i see it without Endless Hunger/Intsant leech the Retch is a noob trap item.
Last edited by zzang on Feb 26, 2017, 8:14:11 AM
"
zzang wrote:
"
Sentilial wrote:

If they move VP between scion and duellist it would be great for the build. At least you wouldnt need a legacy vinktars for optimized performance or instant leech.

As i see it without Endless Hunger/Intsant leech the Retch is a noob trap item.

It costs you 6 more passive points than usual to get Vaal Pact. It's the only way to do the Endless Retch build in a Temp League. I enjoyed the build greatly.
tldr

it works with vinktars though.. thats all i know lol
Last edited by CaoMengde on Feb 26, 2017, 3:40:13 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info