So here's *another* reason why melee and the left side of the passive tree sucks

So here's a fun bit of statistics for you all, fresh from poe.trade:

400+ DPS bows, pure physical: start at 7 ex, ramp up to 30+ ex in the first 10 matches
400+ DPS bows, any damage type: start at 20c, ramp up to 50+ c/1 ex in the first 10 matches

400+ DPS 1h swords, pure physical: start at 15 ex, ramp up to 120 ex in the first 10 matches
400+ DPS 1h swords, any damage type: start at 1 alch, ramp up to 10c in the first 10 matches

I rest my case. Nobody wants melee weapons with added ele mods.
it is 'melee is meh' + 'melee elemental nodes are double meh' + 'ranged is just better' combo that makes these prices like that

want to cry? check how cheap 2h ele melee weapons are..
"
suszterpatt wrote:

I rest my case. Nobody wants melee weapons with added ele mods.

You are wrong, 1-h swords with ele mods are quite useful.
They're cheap becase 2 reasons:
1. 400 DPS ele swords drop much, MUCH more often than 400 DPS physical ones. It's because odds to get top tiers for physical mods were intentionally reduced by GGG, DRASTICALY!
2. Physical damage is easier to scale, cause many nodes in tree and strength provide it (even for projectile skills, if you get Iron Grip).
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
sidtherat wrote:
it is 'melee is meh' + 'melee elemental nodes are double meh' + 'ranged is just better' combo that makes these prices like that

want to cry? check how cheap 2h ele melee weapons are..

Well the first issue is that flat ele scaling means attackspeed, attackspeed, attackspeed, attackspeed, so a 2h weapon will always be worse than a 1h weapon because so much of the damage is not on the weapon, a blue attack speed only foil or claw might be better than a top rolled Axe or Mace, the new swords might be able to keep up, but even then once we add in the fact that you can use a shield or doryanis as a stat-stick fast 1hers always win in this scenario.

"
400+ DPS bows, pure physical: start at 7 ex, ramp up to 30+ ex in the first 10 matches
400+ DPS bows, any damage type: start at 20c, ramp up to 50+ c/1 ex in the first 10 matches

400+ DPS 1h swords, pure physical: start at 15 ex, ramp up to 120 ex in the first 10 matches
400+ DPS 1h swords, any damage type: start at 1 alch, ramp up to 10c in the first 10 matches

You can't compare like that. Ele DPS is and was always higher on weapons than physical dps. Just compare Oros with Doomsower, to see how different this is. And one of the reasons for this is that there are less ele scaling. If you would change that you would run into the issue that you would have to nerf all those weapons, because they would scale as well as physical ones.

I would argue that the first melee node for the marauder should be turned into melee damage as well as born to fight, but the rest is fine. As a templer you essentially are allowed to start with 70% increased damage with melee elemental weapons.

The issue for those builds isn't the nodes, it is that they lack penetration. If you are using only one type of damage you are usually fine with just the gem, but as soon as you have multiple elements you lack penetration which is the biggest damage killer that exists. In the worst case (and with the new elemental resistance mod on maps, that happens often) the Penetration gem offers more than 100% more damage for its element. So the issue is Penetration, the damage is mostly fine.
"
Nenjin wrote:
While not directly to the OP's point, there's another gripe I have with the melee/caster disparity.

Spells, except Chaos that I know of, benefit from both curses and penetration. Physical does not. Sure physical gets related curses, but where's my "Penetrates 20% of enemy physical damage reduction" passives and/or gems that casters and elemental damage dealers get to enjoy? Enemy armor just goes up and up and up as the game scales up, but enemy resistances don't as much.

the bolded is incorrect. most mobs in the game dont have more than 1k armour, which isnt anything. and most mobs dont even have that 1k.

apart from map mods and armoured rares, mobs have far, far more resists than armour in poe, and it isnt even close.

an enemy with 40% res is fairly common in maps. enemy with 40% phys reduction doesnt exist apart from map mods.
Last edited by grepman on Mar 23, 2017, 3:09:46 AM
"
Shppy wrote:

But if you start as a Marauder or Duelist, or just wanna be a melee in general? Well, hope you like physical, cuz you're gonna have to jump through a lot more hoops to scale any other pre-conversion type.

It's just stupid how melee is so heavily pigeonholed into physical base damage, especially in the bottom-left of the tree, while the upper-right of the tree is free to do whatever the hell type of damage they want.

While I agree (to degree), I want to point out that this certain area also has quite a few extremely efficient weapon-specific clusters. Witch also has those, but only one per element. Other than that, you have to get 3-pointers.

Also, the flavor checks out - if you want to go elemental melee attack, go str/int based character. A little bit more flexibility would work, tho.

So as I said - I agree that tree should offer more flexibility (especially Ascendancy trees, ehem ehem, Saboteur), but I'd be careful to not make everything the same.
I' think Ascendancy classes should be way more flexible. The most played Ascendancy classes atm are those which can be made into literally anything. Arguably they are also classes with generic passive trees... Food for though.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
grepman wrote:
"
Nenjin wrote:
While not directly to the OP's point, there's another gripe I have with the melee/caster disparity.

Spells, except Chaos that I know of, benefit from both curses and penetration. Physical does not. Sure physical gets related curses, but where's my "Penetrates 20% of enemy physical damage reduction" passives and/or gems that casters and elemental damage dealers get to enjoy? Enemy armor just goes up and up and up as the game scales up, but enemy resistances don't as much.

the bolded is incorrect. most mobs in the game dont have more than 1k armour, which isnt anything. and most mobs dont even have that 1k.

apart from map mods and armoured rares, mobs have far, far more resists than armour in poe, and it isnt even close.

an enemy with 40% res is fairly common in maps. enemy with 40% phys reduction doesnt exist apart from map mods.

That 40 res is very easy to get around with a penetration gem though, and weapon elemental damage scaling takes elemental damage scaling way beyond anything physical can do. You've got every bow build that isn't poison double dipping playing full elemental conversion for a reason.
A simple Fix for this would be to make different types of swords/weapons that can only roll specific types of mods. IE a class of sword that can't roll ANY elemental on it, they would have to create or fill in some shit mods to junk it up to keep every sword that dropped being op but right now the biggest difference between most of the weapons is simply what ilvl it is for the mods that can be rolled on it not what the base does. There was some attempt at this with dragoon swords and Coronal mauls to be weapons designed for specific types of builds but imho they both fall short, especially the Dragoon swords as the bleed % is too low to be reliable esp when things like voidheart exist or Vagans master craft. If you do a search on poe.trade for generic 1h weapons 400pds you get a wide range of weapons doing pretty much the same stuff. There should be more of an impact on weapon choice.

"
allbusiness wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
"
Nenjin wrote:

That 40 res is very easy to get around with a penetration gem though, and weapon elemental damage scaling takes elemental damage scaling way beyond anything physical can do. You've got every bow build that isn't poison double dipping playing full elemental conversion for a reason.
well thats another question whether or not thats significant, I just wanted to address his misconception, because he kinda had it backwards. Im fairly sure GGG specifically didnt add armoured enemies to not gimp phys/ partially phys builds
In case anyone's interested, here's a status update.

I've kept picking up and id'ing every single high droplevel rare 1-hander. I've also been alching every ilvl 77+ Dragoon Sword and Sai (ilvl 77 for a chance at T1 flat phys/attack speed, and I don't have enough alchs to do every other base type).

Here are all the items I found to date that aren't complete junk for a physical melee build:

Spoiler

What, how many did you expect?

I've been at this for about a year now. Even if we're using very conservative estimates, I rolled at least 3000 items, and only 1 of them was better than a 1c Scaeva.

At this point, I would like to suggest that GGG do a little experiment:

- Set up a bot that rolls ilvl 77+ rare 1h swords
- Let it roll 10,000 items
- Count how many end up with 300+ pDPS (i.e. better than Scaeva)
- Think about whether that rate is reasonable, in light of the fact that ele scaling is impossible on half the tree

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info