Health Thread

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/weight-control/health_risks_being_overweight/Pages/health-risks-being-overweight.aspx

Exiles, in our societies there has been a trend normalizing being unhealthy in some social circles. Most people that are overweight are aware, and not proud of it, we can't shame them but we can inform them of the risks and how to make a change.

If you accept the risks and make the conscious decision to be unhealthy I cannot stop you and your freedom to do so, even though it increases my insurance premiums.

Read the health risks and use this thread as a discussion for exercises, nutrition, and support.

We should all strive to be healthy, for our friends, for out families, and so we can game well into old age.

Ask any questions about exercises, nutrition, and support here and I will try my best to provide a well researched answer.
anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on Feb 25, 2017, 8:39:03 AM
Last bumped on Feb 26, 2017, 9:55:34 AM
This being said, you can be thin and unhealthy! I used to be at the peak of my gaming binge. We can talk about that too although it is a much smaller problem.
anything is everything
Could you please cite some examples of "normalizing" unhealthy behavior? From my experience, much of what gets read as "normalization" comes down to reminding people with self-esteem issues that simply being fat does not make them inferior human beings, and combatting fat-shaming.

And speaking of which...

Are you aware that fat-shaming, i.e. reminding fat people of how unhealthy their lifestyle is, actually leads to more weight gain?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/12/fat-shaming-on-the-london-underground/418110/

"
Last year, a survey tracking 3,000 people in the U.K. found that those who reported weight discrimination gained an average of two pounds over the study’s four-year window; those who hadn’t experienced weight discrimination lost an average of a pound and a half over the same time period. A similar study out of the Florida College of Medicine, published in 2013, also tracked people over four years, and found that people who reported weight discrimination at the beginning of the study were 2.5 times more likely to be obese by the end of it. And in 2012, researchers from Yale University found that people rated anti-obesity campaigns with negative or accusatory messages as less motivating than ones with more neutral slogans, like “Let’s Move.”

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the number of obese people unaware of the health risks thereof are similar to the number of smokers unaware of the health risks of smoking. It's everywhere. It's taught in schools, in health classes, on billboards. Everyone and their dog knows that obesity is really bad for you. Simply reminding people of that doesn't help.

But we know that stress leads to overeating in some people. We even have isolated the biochemical pathways demonstrating that this is the case. And for many obese people, particularly those trying and failing to lose weight (and statistically, this is almost every single one who tries, because losing weight and keeping it off is obscenely difficult), the fact that they are failing is a constant source of stress. Constantly reminding them of the cost of their failure isn't helping anyone.
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
IGN: HopeYouAreFireProof
This is our minister of Health in Québec:

This is a crisis in deny.
"
diablofdb wrote:

Why can't a fat person be minister of health? Do you think he doesn't know that obesity is unhealthy? The man was a radiologist. Do you think at no point during his medical education, the concept of obesity being unhealthy passed by him? You're valuing his appearance over his competence on the job. Why?
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
IGN: HopeYouAreFireProof
"
"
diablofdb wrote:

Why can't a fat person be minister of health? Do you think he doesn't know that obesity is unhealthy? The man was a radiologist. Do you think at no point during his medical education, the concept of obesity being unhealthy passed by him? You're valuing his appearance over his competence on the job. Why?

First of all, he's a terrible minister that recieved money from some private corp, he's a very corrupt man.

And hum.... how to say it.... is your dentist had a mouth like this:

Spoiler

would you trust him???

I'm sorry but, someone who cannot even take care of his own health shouldn't be in charge of the whole health system. My sincere opinion, call me judgmenental or tell me I'm wrong but that's what I think.
Everyone needs to get off of the smokes and booze too!
Society in general needs to expand their understanding of 'health' first. We tend to hyper focus on only body fat %, especially women, and ignore muscle composition so we end up being unhealthy at either end of the fat % spectrum.

Everyone, including women, should strive for a low body fat % with higher muscle composition. That's our ideal body. (higher muscle composition being something natural, men/women's american ninja warrior body for example, not something like a steroid using body builder)

A great place to start as far as diet is concerned is eliminating carbs down to a few pieces of fruit a day and increasing the amounts of fats, plant and animal. And then of course eliminate processed foods and eat more vegies etc.

As far as exercise is concerned walking with some sprinting is good enough for lower body strength and general cardio but focus on upper body as well. You don't need weights, machines or a gym for upper body just do simple push and pull exercises - push ups, pull ups, any activities that you have to push to hold your body weight up and pull, meaning you have to hang on with your grip, to keep your body weight from falling.

If both men and women would do these simple diet and exercises we'd all be much healthier.
"
Are you aware that fat-shaming, i.e. reminding fat people of how unhealthy their lifestyle is, actually leads to more weight gain?

Simple reminding is already fat shaming now? Jesus, the snowflake society... The better question is: does cuddling people into accepting a suicidal lifestyle lead to more weight loss?

Having a clinically obese health minister sends the wrong message: do as I say, not as I do. Public officials are handsomely paid and should strive for excellence & lead with example.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Feb 25, 2017, 10:10:49 AM
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
A great place to start as far as diet is concerned is eliminating carbs...

This is a total enigma to me. Ok, I can quite easily eliminate sugars, candy, snacks, fastfood, etc... but I cannot eliminate things like bread. Breakfast without bread? Impossible, unimaginable. Potatoes are also a very basic food around here, used in many meals.

As for excercise: a combo of hiking-jogging-running is the cheapest activity available and has the best time-investemnt / effect ratio. Swimming is great too, but already more time/money consuming (driving to a pool, etc). You can also drive a bicycle to work / school, instead of taking a car, if possible.

Nowadays we sit a whole fking lot and every cardio activity that you can do helps, like just going up and down the stairs a few times.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info