Sure there is plenty of ideas out there, but: how to Fix Armour/Eva stupidly easy.

Maybe they should rework life leech.

Rethink it - melee attacks shall have access to instant leech. Spells shall generally not.

Baseline:
- 35% of melee life leech apply instantly.
- Add leech rate nodes in spell areas.

Vaal Pact: Additional 25% of melee life leech apply instantly.
Atziri's Acuity: Additional 30-40% of melee leech apply instantly on critical strike.

Atziri's Acuity cannot be allowed spell leech as then everyone would need that item to be viable - and it seems fitting with its theme.

This will allow melee the defensive advantage over ranged that it needs, and it will force ranged to play more carefully with a larger es pool that can automatically recharge if they need to withdraw. Allows improved balancing of content.

It will bring out the ES-melee builds like the good old dagger-es. Therefore move vaal pact down to between marauder and duelist.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Feb 26, 2017, 9:01:58 PM
"
adghar wrote:
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

I would never run that map unless SRS, traps, totems, and ranged.

Meanwhile, top-end CI builds steamroll that Map with zero issues.

honestly Id just steamroll maps like that all day every day on pretty much any character I would make, be it life or es.

Honestly Vol blood is the 1 issue, it doesnt come around often, Ive died to it twice in the last 2 years, but the potential is just terrifying endlessly. I think theyre gonna fix it for 3.0.

for me, thats it, I dont rly see the es/life thing as that big a deal if they fix that mod. In the last 2 years Ive been 1 shot 3 times on properly defended characters that I can remember, 2x vol blood, once to a crit molten shell from magnus the exile. I died once that felt pretty bs to a vaal DD from bameth who basically spawned and instantly nuked the whole screen, not a technical 1 shot but a mass burst. Thats pretty much it for serious life builds, 4 deaths that I can recall. Theres been other deaths of course but were talking about bad glass cannon characters made knowing they were gonna die a fair bit but just designed to get what I needed to get done in a league for challenges and making wealth etc, stuff thrown into situations where its obvious ur gonna die but you just need the loot or challenge from that boss so you do it. Es builds theres been a couple of deaths on proper characters and again, quite a few deaths on shit tier zerg characters.

I dont really see that theres that much wrong with the balance in all honesty. I dont think ele spell damage is really as scary as people say, I dont think 1 shots are a big deal outside of vol which I think will be sorted in 3.0. If I see any problem its simply boss facetanking off the back of vinktar flasks, thats just silly cheese and the flask shouldnt exist, it fucks up the leech balance changes they made where spells had to use the curse for leech which had an effectiveness penalty on bosses. VP leech tanking in general is a bit of an issue I guess, Ive never rly felt the need to do it tbh but I guess a lot of builds that should be dying are not dying so whatever, probably gonna get nerfed, not rly gonna effect me either way.

I think the whole es v life thing has been made such a big deal of that people have convinced themselves its a massive problem, with all the talk surely it has to be right? I dont rly see it, anyone can leech tank with vp, hardly anything 1 shots anyone with decent defenses, its a bit out of balance but its not a massive issue, knock like 4% es off the average ci build, fix vp and call it a day, job done.

"
Serge91 wrote:

I have to admit that i didn't ever tried a hybrid arm/eva build in like 7 years of game, so I won't comment on that xD

Its orders of magnitude better than pure ar or pure ev unless you mimic hybrid in some way, eq armour + high block or evasion + lightning coil & ToH.
"
Serge91 wrote:

The example of CI is particulary significant, coz it really reaches a point where using gear with EV/ARM is really useless and unconvenient. And if the spikes of damage remains so much high, i don't see how the things could be change.

I dont think its useless, ci with evasion is significantly better than pure ci imo, to the point where I dont think Id ever play pure ci again. I would pretty much always go for either hybrid with evasion or aegis armour + block.
"
Crackmonster wrote:

Rethink it - melee attacks shall have access to instant leech. Spells shall generally not.

Baseline:

Atziri's Acuity: Additional 30-40% of melee leech apply instantly on critical strike.

Atziri's Acuity cannot be allowed spell leech as then everyone would need that item to be viable - and it seems fitting with its theme.

This will allow melee the defensive advantage over ranged that it needs, and it will force ranged to play more carefully with a larger es pool that can automatically recharge if they need to withdraw. Allows improved balancing of content.

That would be difficult because there are ranged skills that use melee weapons (ST, LS). And many gems that have melee tag are designed for range.
Oh and turn energy shield into a rating with diminishing returns.

Meaning that if you get super high es on pretty much all slots, then because of the diminishing returns you will not get as astronomically high es as you currently can, and it will finally bring at least some stability to inner-es build balance.

Because of the way energy shield primarily scales from gear needing to be rare and have super high rolls - and because that makes energy shield by itself the naturally highest scaling lifetype in the game with perfect gear, it means that es will be mostly balanced around builds maximizing that aspect so as not to break the game. But also, in trying to protect interesting es builds that use unique items and therefore have less pool, es is allowed to scale too high if one goes all in on scaling it, because there is such large disparity between the poolsize of potential es builds that it is hard to bring super scaling builds in line without ruining the other.

A change like suggested will mean builds can more easily reach an acceptable level of ES, but will also make it less possible to super scale es - and allow es builds to use more uniques/lesser gear without suffering abysmal poolsize, which better reflects their passive investment into increasing es.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Feb 26, 2017, 7:45:56 AM
"
Ceryneian wrote:
"
Crackmonster wrote:

Baseline:

That would be difficult because there are ranged skills that use melee weapons (ST, LS). And many gems that have melee tag are designed for range.

Well, as far as ST and LS goes.

Spectral throw is an attack but it is not melee, it just benefits from weapon nodes. Lightning strike has two parts, first is a melee hit that would have instant leech, the second part are the projectiles which are an attack but not melee and so do not benefit.

GG are pretty strict on their classing - melee abilities are generally just inferior to ranged ones that is why we see mostly ranged/spell builds etc because while there are a few, the ranged melee skills are mostly not really competitive with the best ranged skills in terms of clearspeed because they are not true ranged.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Feb 26, 2017, 8:10:43 AM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I dont rly see the es/life thing as that big a deal if they fix that mod. In the last 2 years Ive been 1 shot 3 times on properly defended characters that I can remember, 2x vol blood, once to a crit molten shell from magnus the exile. I died once that felt pretty bs to a vaal DD from bameth who basically spawned and instantly nuked the whole screen, not a technical 1 shot but a mass burst. Thats pretty much it for serious life builds, 4 deaths that I can recall. Theres been other deaths of course but were talking about bad glass cannon characters made knowing they were gonna die a fair bit but just designed to get what I needed to get done in a league for challenges and making wealth etc, stuff thrown into situations where its obvious ur gonna die but you just need the loot or challenge from that boss so you do it. Es builds theres been a couple of deaths on proper characters and again, quite a few deaths on shit tier zerg characters.

I think the whole es v life thing has been made such a big deal of that people have convinced themselves its a massive problem, with all the talk surely it has to be right? I dont rly see it, anyone can leech tank with vp, hardly anything 1 shots anyone with decent defenses, its a bit out of balance but its not a massive issue, knock like 4% es off the average ci build, fix vp and call it a day, job done.

Lets be real here I have played a life build to lvl 100 and several others to 96, 97 and 98.
And my experience is volatile is one out of many issues life has. But other aspects are pathing efficiency big times (which will hopefully handled in 3.0 or 2.3). Es travels far cheaper in terms of nodes than life. Life is not able to scale like ES in any way thanks to CI and huge base ES values on gear and 20% ES enchantment on rings/amus. ES manages therefore to have a lot more damage and the ability to focus on quadruple damage jewels as well as nicely (for ES builds) placed aura nodes which are located near the major es clusters. All this plus instant leech and bigger buffer (vinktars not neccessary) make ES stand out by far and its not like good life gear is cheap amyway.

I also think that you do not really have the experience to make a judgmenet about ci vs life. You play with mirror gear and id like to see you commenting in the forums after someone took away your toys and then you had to play a life build for end game content - id simply love to see your comments this way (im sure they would be different). I have switched to pure ES builds after playing life for a very long time. Because i have the experience to say ES is better by several magnitudes than life. People saying otherwise either dont know the game or follow a personal agenda (having ES builds and want them to be superior by d). And btw Evasion as well as Armour and block is trash if you can tank any hit in the game and leech full to instant. Totally useless to gear for it with a given ES Threshold.

Im also not sure what you metrics are for builds being strong? For me it is kill any boss in the game without the danger of dying (not deathzerging or dodging damage mods) second and third factors are killspeed and gameplay. I would be happy if you could send me a video of one of your life build guides beating shaper and/or his guardians just so i know your metrics of being strong. As understanding your metrics would maybe help me solve contradictions regarding your forum history. I remember you being one of the main agenda pushers for ES being superior to life.

If life is fine then here is my standpoint about future of ES:

- ES values on gear has been retroactivley halved
- ES values on skilltree nodes were halved
- Block cap is now 50% (shields block values has been reduced)
- Ghost reaver removed from the game
- Instant leech removed from the game
- Nerf the shit out of daggers and crit multiplier
- CI no longer grants immunity to chaos damage instead gives chaos damage can not bypass energy shield.
Lets take a look at some ES items:
- Skyforth stun based on 200% of mana instead of 500%, any form of Chayula not granting stun immunity anymore (retroactive)
- Aegis Auror block was reduced to 25%, Special Tag line: Does not improve its blockchance with rumis flask
- Crit cap is now 50% and multiplier cap is now 300%
- Curses used as auras lose 50% of effectivity for each other curse activated as aura.
- General aura cap is 3 Auras

Those notes would be terrible but I think after those changes life would be equal to ES (both would be equally shit).

Last edited by zzang on Feb 26, 2017, 12:28:30 PM
"
zzang wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I dont rly see the es/life thing as that big a deal if they fix that mod. In the last 2 years Ive been 1 shot 3 times on properly defended characters that I can remember, 2x vol blood, once to a crit molten shell from magnus the exile. I died once that felt pretty bs to a vaal DD from bameth who basically spawned and instantly nuked the whole screen, not a technical 1 shot but a mass burst. Thats pretty much it for serious life builds, 4 deaths that I can recall. Theres been other deaths of course but were talking about bad glass cannon characters made knowing they were gonna die a fair bit but just designed to get what I needed to get done in a league for challenges and making wealth etc, stuff thrown into situations where its obvious ur gonna die but you just need the loot or challenge from that boss so you do it. Es builds theres been a couple of deaths on proper characters and again, quite a few deaths on shit tier zerg characters.

Lets be real here I have played a life build to lvl 100 and several others to 96, 97 and 98.
And my experience is volatile is one out of many issues life has. But other aspects are pathing efficiency big times (which will hopefully handled in 3.0 or 2.3). Es travels far cheaper in terms of nodes than life. Life is not able to scale like ES in any way thanks to CI and huge base ES values on gear and 20% ES enchantment on rings/amus. ES manages therefore to have a lot more damage and the ability to focus on quadruple damage jewels as well as nicely (for ES builds) placed aura nodes which are located near the major es clusters. All this plus instant leech and bigger buffer (vinktars not neccessary) make ES stand out by far and its not like good life gear is cheap amyway.

I also think that you do not really have the experience to make a judgmenet about ci vs life. You play with mirror gear and id like to see you commenting in the forums after someone took away your toys and then you had to play a life build for end game content - id simply love to see your comments this way (im sure they would be different). I have switched to pure ES builds after playing life for a very long time. Because i have the experience to say ES is better by several magnitudes than life. People saying otherwise either dont know the game or follow a personal agenda (having ES builds and want them to be superior by d). And btw Evasion as well as Armour and block is trash if you can tank any hit in the game and leech full to instant. Totally useless to gear for it with a given ES Threshold.

Im also not sure what you metrics are for builds being strong? For me it is kill any boss in the game without the danger of dying (not deathzerging or dodging damage mods) second and third factors are killspeed and gameplay. I would be happy if you could send me a video of one of your life build guides beating shaper and/or his guardians just so i know your metrics of being strong. As understanding your metrics would maybe help me solve contradictions regarding your forum history. I remember you being one of the main agenda pushers for ES being superior to life.

ES has been superior to life for a very long time. It's just other factors were covering it up. A 10k ES CoC Cyclone Discharger was magnitudes of orders better than a Mjolner character.
"
zzang wrote:

I also think that you do not really have the experience to make a judgmenet about ci vs life. You play with mirror gear and id like to see you commenting in the forums after someone took away your toys and then you had to play a life build for end game content - id simply love to see your comments this way (im sure they would be different).....

I remember you being one of the main agenda pushers for ES being superior to life.

the majority of my playtime is spent in leagues. I have a mirrored dagger and a mirrored sword, I dont have any other mirrored gear, Id say about 90% of my other gear comes from leagues. This is what my ranger in breach was using...

Spoiler

I had a 300pdps gemini claw that I sold, my claw in standard is 400pdps.

This was a deathzerg character, I went dual wield just for speed to get what I wanted done asap. On a proper character I would have used a shield and a lightning coil. A 6L coil would have been cheaper than this ev armour though, a lot cheaper. All this gear I just linked I had in the first week of the league. Its essentially the same as the gear I use on standard, in 5 days it will be gear I use on standard. Claw was 3/4 of the damage, I offset that with dual wield.

I dont just camp standard with mirrored gear and no clue what its like to play without it. I never level characters in standard, all those characters over there hit 88-94 in a league. When it comes to toys, I have toys in a league within days of the start, its all the same thing. I have a 440 pdps kriss in standard that I use, but its the same one I use on ci and life chars, so Im not sure how that effects my judgement comparing them, if anything I think ci scales better with wealth and playing in standard warps perception towards es more than life.

Im def not an agenda pusher for es being better than life, I do think it is better than life, and I often defended it back when people were saying ci is shit. I dont think the gap is this massive thing though. I think if you tilt something like leech far enough you could reverse the situation without touching anything else to do with ci.

My metrics, I dont judge builds by a specific boss encounter like uber atziri or shaper. I go on general red tier mapping. Speed, how many of the map bosses theyre comfortable with, the sort of mods they care about etc. The specific big boss farms, the guides are out there, the theory is out there, theres people in my guild who farm those things non stop. You can kill those bosses consistently with characters who are not really great mappers, that sort of thing doesnt really interest me. I care about endgame mapping, if you want to farm uber you can just level a dedicated uber killer tailored to that specific fight, it might suck against 50% of red map bosses and clear maps like a snail but totally trivialise that one encounter. Theres plenty of videos of people killing stuff like shaper with 6k life builds that honestly dont have great defenses, they just avoid the beam/balls and place the vortexes well. Both shaper and uber have been done with the ci/eb builds that have 1 hit point, are they strong builds that can handle a week of red tier mapping? Hall of Grand Masters is similar, hege destroyed that map with his trapper but quite openly said he would struggle to clear a map with that character, its just built to take on intense single opponents. I care about day to day mapping pretty much exclusively.

Good life gear is way cheaper than good es gear. I dont know that es always has more damage, on life builds you can use things like rats nests etc without much care, youre not gonna use a rats nest on a ci build. The jewel point is correct for sure, but I feel like tis kind of hard to judge because the sort of builds you would make with ci camp the top, where theres little life, so to make a direct comparison you have to look at a life spell build which is out of its area. Do ci get more damage going RT 2h axe than a life based duelist or marauder? I know what youre saying, you can make a more compact tree, you struggle less for hp nodes, for sure, and that lets you get more damage certainly for a spell build.

I think if they gutted vol blood and vp the tables would turn completely, and all these other factors wouldnt be enough to stop life being better than es for the vast majority of builds. Its not that I dont agree with these other areas where ci has advantages, but theres disadvantages to using es too, I dont see it as hugely 1 sided.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
zzang wrote:

I also think that you do not really have the experience to make a judgmenet about ci vs life. You play with mirror gear and id like to see you commenting in the forums after someone took away your toys and then you had to play a life build for end game content - id simply love to see your comments this way (im sure they would be different).....

I remember you being one of the main agenda pushers for ES being superior to life.

the majority of my playtime is spent in leagues. I have a mirrored dagger and a mirrored sword, I dont have any other mirrored gear, Id say about 90% of my other gear comes from leagues. This is what my ranger in breach was using...

Spoiler

I had a 300pdps gemini claw that I sold, my claw in standard is 400pdps.

This was a deathzerg character, I went dual wield just for speed to get what I wanted done asap. On a proper character I would have used a shield and a lightning coil. A 6L coil would have been cheaper than this ev armour though, a lot cheaper. All this gear I just linked I had in the first week of the league. Its essentially the same as the gear I use on standard, in 5 days it will be gear I use on standard. Claw was 3/4 of the damage, I offset that with dual wield.

I dont just camp standard with mirrored gear and no clue what its like to play without it. I never level characters in standard, all those characters over there hit 88-94 in a league. When it comes to toys, I have toys in a league within days of the start, its all the same thing. I have a 440 pdps kriss in standard that I use, but its the same one I use on ci and life chars, so Im not sure how that effects my judgement comparing them, if anything I think ci scales better with wealth and playing in standard warps perception towards es more than life.

Im def not an agenda pusher for es being better than life, I do think it is better than life, and I often defended it back when people were saying ci is shit. I dont think the gap is this massive thing though. I think if you tilt something like leech far enough you could reverse the situation without touching anything else to do with ci.

My metrics, I dont judge builds by a specific boss encounter like uber atziri or shaper. I go on general red tier mapping. Speed, how many of the map bosses theyre comfortable with, the sort of mods they care about etc. The specific big boss farms, the guides are out there, the theory is out there, theres people in my guild who farm those things non stop. You can kill those bosses consistently with characters who are not really great mappers, that sort of thing doesnt really interest me. I care about endgame mapping, if you want to farm uber you can just level a dedicated uber killer tailored to that specific fight, it might suck against 50% of red map bosses and clear maps like a snail but totally trivialise that one encounter. Theres plenty of videos of people killing stuff like shaper with 6k life builds that honestly dont have great defenses, they just avoid the beam/balls and place the vortexes well. Both shaper and uber have been done with the ci/eb builds that have 1 hit point, are they strong builds that can handle a week of red tier mapping? Hall of Grand Masters is similar, hege destroyed that map with his trapper but quite openly said he would struggle to clear a map with that character, its just built to take on intense single opponents. I care about day to day mapping pretty much exclusively.

Good life gear is way cheaper than good es gear. I dont know that es always has more damage, on life builds you can use things like rats nests etc without much care, youre not gonna use a rats nest on a ci build. The jewel point is correct for sure, but I feel like tis kind of hard to judge because the sort of builds you would make with ci camp the top, where theres little life, so to make a direct comparison you have to look at a life spell build which is out of its area. Do ci get more damage going RT 2h axe than a life based duelist or marauder? I know what youre saying, you can make a more compact tree, you struggle less for hp nodes, for sure, and that lets you get more damage certainly for a spell build.

I think if they gutted vol blood and vp the tables would turn completely, and all these other factors wouldnt be enough to stop life being better than es for the vast majority of builds. Its not that I dont agree with these other areas where ci has advantages, but theres disadvantages to using es too, I dont see it as hugely 1 sided.

1) Good life gear is not cheaper than good ES gear if we're talking about comparable life pools versus spells/volatiles, which is what really matters the most endgame anyways. ES can break 8k with relatively bad gear that is very affordable, you have to wear a Kaoms to break 8k on life. Getting 10k isn't even that hard now adays with inclusion of Essences and extra currency that is dropped between boxes, rogue exiles, etc. I had a 10k+ ES Flameblaster Witch within a week, it wasn't even that hard. I was pushing 12k+ by the end of the 2nd week, and that was with minimal play time.

2) ES will always be more point efficient with the way things are setup currently. For crit builds, ES is insanely more point efficient, and we all know how idiotically broken crit is in general still.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info