Sure there is plenty of ideas out there, but: how to Fix Armour/Eva stupidly easy.

"
15k es is more on par with like 25-20k armour in terms of investment needed.

To be fair, The Brass Dome has probably really distorted my sense of Armour availability. I wore it on my first real Armour-heavy build and it is just terribly effective against physical hits. I got 30k easy without even taking the double chest armour node for juggernauts, believe I'm up to 35k armour now. In contrast, my CI characters range from 6k to 10k ES despite me having items like
, not sure if that's because I just neglect these characters a lot or build them wrong or what.

It's one of the reasons why I support more availability of Armour (and probably Evasion, I don't have much experience there but Evasion seems strong enough as it is against its intended damage source, so Evasion probably needs something different like Kintsugi-like mechanics) on gear. Life characters kitted out in full perfect Armour gear should probably also be able to reach 30k to 6w0k Armour, maybe more, but I don't really see it that often other than on proof of concept tanks.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
The problem is that ES and life help protect against everything, while armor and evasion do not. Armor needs to work against elemental, and evasion needs to work against spells. Additionally incoming damage needs to be low enough where you're not likely to get 1 shot if you're an evasion character.
"
j33bus wrote:
The problem is that ES and life help protect against everything, while armor and evasion do not. Armor needs to work against elemental, and evasion needs to work against spells. Additionally incoming damage needs to be low enough where you're not likely to get 1 shot if you're an evasion character.

Armor mitigates both physical attacks and spells, while Evasion mitigates both physical and elemental attacks. Only elemental spells would be an issue to the AR/EV hybrid, but then you can use Enfeeble + Fortify to mitigate pretty much everything.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

Armor mitigates both physical attacks and spells, while Evasion mitigates both physical and elemental attacks. Only elemental spells would be an issue to the AR/EV hybrid, but then you can use Enfeeble + Fortify to mitigate pretty much everything.

And then you run a Hexwarded/Hexproof Map with monster crit, monster added damage, and blow up a Volatile Xblood in your face! Reep.

Not to mention all Map bosses have native 60% less curse effect...

I was gonna write a huge post about this one day, but might as well say it here. Life and ES are pretty balanced up to a certain point, like 2 ex total budget and Tier 11 to 15 depending on how well-optimised you want your build to be. However, when you get into top level end game, CI ES comes out further and further ahead, because all of the holes that are in ES defense get plugged in nice and tight. At the most basic conceptual level, Ar/Eva has this elemental spell hole (actually, if you get good Spell Block, you have powerful defense against elemental spell DPS as well, so the only concern becomes Elemental One-shots), while ES can't get as much Ar/Eva or Dodge, leaving it vulnerable to high enemy DPS, but strong against one-shots. However, high damage + Ghost Reaver + Vaal Pact fills in that hole nicely, especially since top endgame CI builds either get Stun Immunity or a very high Stun threshold, so they can DPS to their heart's content. This plugs up the last hole ES could have had, which is addressing enemy DPS.

In theory, "buff Life" or "nerf ES" would have to do with either allowing Life to plug its last one or two holes (reliable elemental one-shot protection please!), or open up one or two holes in ES (somehow addressing Vaal Pact and probably Block too would mean ES builds could fear getting bursted down by a ton of smaller hits)

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
adghar wrote:

And then you run a Hexwarded/Hexproof Map with monster crit, monster added damage, and blow up a Volatile Xblood in your face! Reep.

Not to mention all Map bosses have native 60% less curse effect...

I would never run that map unless SRS, traps, totems, and ranged. That way, I do not care too much about my curse aura(s) being useless. As for the native 60% less curse effect, it is there for a reason. It is better having something than nothing.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Feb 25, 2017, 3:20:36 PM
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

I would never run that map unless SRS, traps, totems, and ranged.

Meanwhile, top-end CI builds steamroll that Map with zero issues. Or so I've heard, and it makes sense from a theorycraft perspective too, so I have no reason to doubt those rumours. However, no matter how many Exalted Orbs you have, you can't get to the same steamroll level with a Life build. At least, that's what I've heard, and that makes sense from a theorycraft perspective too, so I have no reason to doubt those rumours either.

Last edited by adghar on Feb 25, 2017, 3:21:51 PM
"
adghar wrote:

Meanwhile, top-end CI builds steamroll that Map with zero issues. Or so I've heard, and it makes sense from a theorycraft perspective too, so I have no reason to doubt those rumours. However, no matter how many Exalted Orbs you have, you can't get to the same steamroll level with a Life build. At least, that's what I've heard, and that makes sense from a theorycraft perspective too, so I have no reason to doubt those rumours either.

Well, those top-end CI builds are using just one obvious mechanic that takes advantage of their eHP and since that mechanic does it instantly, the threshold of one-shots are gone since the top end damage does not go that high. Lets not forget vaal discipline makes it even better, but at least that one got hit hard.

Edit: I do not think CI ZO can replicate that, so they are at risk too.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Feb 25, 2017, 3:32:17 PM
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
Having at least 9k AR and 7k EV (arbitrary numbers without Determination and/or Grace) does a lot for defense. Of course, having more mitigation like Fortify, Enfeeble, and leech helps the mitigation better. On top of that, Stibinte Flask provides EV and blind.

AR/EV hybrid is in a good spot with EV/ES hybrids too.

this. 15k ar + 10k eva + 6.7k life + 1200 mana + mom = god mode
and I've only died 39 times. (c) Libbritania ( tokimeki ).
In their current states evasion and block are pretty weak - because they still have to rely on armor or high ES to mitigate damage when they are inevitably hit - which means that you'll likely get one shot even with max capped Evasion/Block.

Thus, to fix them, they should both include mitigation equal to their evade or block chance, or at the very least 50% of it because no matter what there will be hits that get through - and the more overtuned the NPC the less effective either mechanic is against them.

And armour should offer a percentage of its physical mitigation applied to all other damage types as well at a reduced value (30-50%).

Conversely, Energy Shield should take double the physical damage with reductions from passives and underlying armor values.
Patch Notes 3.15:
Fixed a bug where players believed the game was playable. This has been corrected and made retroactive.
Patch Notes 3.19:
Fixed a bug where players adapted to 3.15. This bug cannot be corrected, so we have implemented a 90% reduction in item access as a punishment.
"
BlaqWolf wrote:
In their current states evasion and block are pretty weak - because they still have to rely on armor or high ES to mitigate damage when they are inevitably hit - which means that you'll likely get one shot even with max capped Evasion/Block.

No, this is just wrong, enough with the urban legends.
What hurts is the elemental damage for such spikes (potential one shots, like volatile ).

Evasion'weakness (apart from physical spells) is the fact that if you face tank many target and the stars align, the potential max damage is much higher and you could get instantly killed, making full evasion (and dodge) more suited for ranges.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info