Why the VP hate?

I keep seeing all this hate for VP (I assume they mean Vaal Pact?) but don't know why. I admit my current build on this char is a VP + CI, but my others don't use it at all. Please, fill me in because I am pretty much a noob and have no damned clue. =P
~ DON'T WORRY I'M PACKING A CHAINSAW ~
Last bumped on Feb 23, 2017, 8:20:12 PM
CI can take VP without any drawback. Here you go, have instant leech, why not, as if CI wasnt too good already.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
It's not hate, it's a desire for balance.

Life regeneration can recover 10-20% of your hit points per second with heavy investment.
Non-VP leech can recover 30-40% of your hit points per second with heavy investment.
VP leech can recover 100% of your hit points multiple times per second.

And this is done with investment into damage, not recovery. Mitigation stats can be almost completely ignored. Reflect can be worked around.
You just need enough hit points to survive the highest possible incoming burst. Then you are instantly on full hp again.

It's not good for the game.

It's simple.

What's the most frustrating way to die? Getting one shotted by an untelegraphed attack.

Why are there so many untelegraphed one shots? They're the only way to kill a VP user.

You can use VP on life builds too. It isn't any less OP.
Last edited by DichotomousThree on Feb 23, 2017, 6:11:21 PM
"
Zed_ wrote:
It's not hate, it's a desire for balance.

This.

Leech allows defense to scale with damage. VP allows defense to scale with damage infinitely assuming you aren't one-shot.

If it weren't for VP+GR, CI would have a weakness of less availability of defense vs DPS, for its strength of defense vs one-shots, compared to Life. With VP+GR, CI has no weakness vs DPS either.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
It's simple.

What's the most frustrating way to die? Getting one shotted by an untelegraphed attack.

Why are there so many untelegraphed one shots? They're the only way to kill a VP user.

You can use VP on life builds too. It isn't any less OP.

While VP on life builds is still strong in many cases, VP on a CI build has literally no drawback. If life VP is OP, then CI VP is OP^2.
It also doesn't help that VP, GR and CI are all in the same one quarter of the tree. It helps even less that this is also the same one quarter of the tree where the best crit nodes and PA are.

If VP was moved to between the Marauder and Duelist areas, things would be a lot less atrocious.
"
suszterpatt wrote:
It also doesn't help that VP, GR and CI are all in the same one quarter of the tree. It helps even less that this is also the same one quarter of the tree where the best crit nodes and PA are.

If VP was moved to between the Marauder and Duelist areas, things would be a lot less atrocious.

But then what will life melee evasion do to survive the onslaughts of one shots on the right side of the tree?
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

But then what will life melee evasion do to survive the onslaughts of one shots on the right side of the tree?

Evasion and Dodge are already strong measures against enemy (Attack) DPS, especially if you use Uniques like Hinekora's Sight and/or Atziri's Step and/or The Snowblind Grace and/or The Perfect Form. What Life Melee Evasion builds need to survive one-shots is higher buffer or mitigation. Vaal Pact doesn't even do anything against true one-shots, it only "helps against one-shots" if you sort of use a fuzzy definition of one-shot as burst DPS. (And again, Evasion/Dodge is already great against burst DPS compared to no Evasion/Dodge.)
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Then move it next to the duelist leech nodes, I'm pretty sure thats far enough from ci, but close enough for the eva builds.

I remember when it was between the mara and duelist, that was a bad place for it.

Btw if they move it, then better be prepared for aculti prices, time to farm uber atziri.
Last edited by krenderke on Feb 23, 2017, 7:43:31 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info