System Requirements

I'm buying a new computer since this one is old and stopped working properly for the most part.

Now I'm wondering what kind of specs I need to play Path of Exile on the highest settings smoothly.

I already looked around for official requirements, but I'm only able to find the minimum requirements and I think those haven't changed regardless of the game being updated.

Any help is welcome!
Last bumped on Feb 22, 2017, 2:29:11 PM
There isn't anything official which is updated / realistic.

My general advice would be an i5 and the best card you can afford.

You might want to look at PCPartPicker, which will check for compatibility issues between the components you've selected and check several different websites for the best price. There's an option to select a country in the top-right corner, which people always seem to miss.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
And if you aren't somebody who hardlines on part brands, you could wait a week as AMD's Ryzen answers to intel's i5 and i7's seem very promising at the moment with a lower price point depending on your situation to boot.

All I do know is that AMD graphics cards haven't had too much luck with graphics intensive full parties in the past, a strong enough card with enough performance patches on GGG's end may change that though.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
Last edited by PleiadesBlackstar on Feb 21, 2017, 8:30:09 PM
"
you could wait a week as AMD's Ryzen answers to intel's i5 and i7's seem very promising

People with AMD hardware often have weird stuttering issues in Path of Exile. It definitely doesn't affect everyone, but it seems unfixable for those who are affected. ZiggyD even gave up an AMD sponsorship because they couldn't find him hardware which worked.

So, will Ryzen have that problem? Maybe, maybe not. Will initial reviews of Ryzen by tech sites specifically test Path of Exile to see if it happens? I doubt it. If the problem is present in Ryzen, would we know within the first month or so? It's hard to say.

AMD is the underdog in both the CPU and the GPU markets. They care about open source software. While Nvidia were off designing G-Sync to get even more money out of their customers, AMD were working on FreeSync to get people the same thing for free. AMD are cool. I like AMD.

But I don't recommend AMD hardware for Path of Exile players. And unless you've received a Ryzen CPU early and been testing Path of Exile on it, you shouldn't be recommending Ryzen to others who play PoE. At least not without a massive disclaimer that it might / might not be unplayable.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
Sarno wrote:
"
you could wait a week as AMD's Ryzen answers to intel's i5 and i7's seem very promising

People with AMD hardware often have weird stuttering issues in Path of Exile. It definitely doesn't affect everyone, but it seems unfixable for those who are affected. ZiggyD even gave up an AMD sponsorship because they couldn't find him hardware which worked.

So, will Ryzen have that problem? Maybe, maybe not. Will initial reviews of Ryzen by tech sites specifically test Path of Exile to see if it happens? I doubt it. If the problem is present in Ryzen, would we know within the first month or so? It's hard to say.

AMD is the underdog in both the CPU and the GPU markets. They care about open source software. While Nvidia were off designing G-Sync to get even more money out of their customers, AMD were working on FreeSync to get people the same thing for free. AMD are cool. I like AMD.

But I don't recommend AMD hardware for Path of Exile players. And unless you've received a Ryzen CPU early and been testing Path of Exile on it, you shouldn't be recommending Ryzen to others who play PoE. At least not without a massive disclaimer that it might / might not be unplayable.

I thought it was exclusively a gpu thing. GF's desktop has been using an AMD a8-5600k no dedicated graphics and runs everything fine. Does a little better in full groups than my dilapidated laptop but does struggle a bit, but so does everybody else in general. It just can't run shadows on at all due to the no real graphics card. Gives occasional blank frames in game.

I wasn't whole heartedly telling them to go for Ryzen for PoE. If it performs as promised, I'm personally building my first desktop around one of the R7's, but if it doesn't, I would be willing to drop the idea in an instant for an i5 or i7. But I am willing to bet that the AMD problems with PoE specifically would hopefully be solved with how similar AMD will now be to what Intel has been in regards to multithreading and what not. Can't say I am as hopeful on the gpu side as I am assuming working better with Vega versus a current Radeon won't change issues in PoE as it is probably something GGG would need to work on personally/with AMD to solve. But more importantly, when somebody asks for a build for PoE, I highly doubt they don't intend other games as well at some point. So I look at it if it were me. Maybe Ryzen doesn't work perfectly with PoE, but depending on its real world performance in other games versus the price cost against Intel, I'd go for it personally.

I also doubt it will take too long before somebody posts a video showcasing if Ryzen still has the same issues as older AMD in PoE. May not be on release since anybody benchmarking doesn't even think to showcase PoE instead of Shadows of Mordor or something, but it wouldn't take somebody in the community to obtain their cpu and showcase it.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info