50$ stolen and in game content deleted !

I linked my forum account to my steam and suddenly i had no characters left in the game? So i made new account hoping that i still have the tabs i paid 50$ for, but nothing! So if you want to link your account, that will cost you everything you have paid for. What the F*** is this ? There was not a word about losing all the stash tabs etc. I bought supporter pack on sunday but guess what, no frame because IT'S DELETED ! Is this absolutely normal and all my fault really ?

For the proof:
Unlocked 19 Feb @ 3:06pm
Beginning of the End
Reach level 60 as a non-Hardcore character.
Last edited by BloodyDiamond on Feb 21, 2017, 6:25:43 AM
Last bumped on Feb 24, 2017, 1:28:04 PM
"
BloodyDiamond wrote:
Is this absolutely normal and all my fault really ?

Well... yes.

You created an account through Steam and played on it. Then you created a new account and linked that to Steam. The point of account linking is to access your Path of Exile account by logging into your Steam account. The link worked - that's exactly what's happening.

Send an e-mail to support@grindinggear.com and ask them to unlink the accounts. If you want to log into the website using your Steam account, click on the green Sign In Through STEAM button on the log in page. There was absolutely no reason to create another account and link it.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Your title is over the top. Nothing has been stolen and nothing has been deleted. You improperly linked to steam (created a duplicate account). Your account with mtx points still exists and an email to support can get it linked back to your email. Insulting GGG for your simple mistake is just being rude.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
what was the reason again why ggg allows the creation of accounts that overwrite existing steam accounts?

all the misunderstandings could have been prevented by blocking those email addresses.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
what was the reason again why ggg allows the creation of accounts that overwrite existing steam accounts?

all the misunderstandings could have been prevented by blocking those email addresses.

The link to steam is for existing standalone accounts to link to steam
What people are doing is playing on steam then deciding to move to the standalone so when they go to the link option it gets them to make a account there is nothing being overwritten here, they then continue with the link which warns you about what you are going to do will overwrite the steam version.

It's not like you are trying to make another account using the same details.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
it shouldn't warn people that they overwrite their steam accounts when creating a standalone account using the steam email.

it should deny the account creation and let them contact support in case they really want go overwrite their steam accounts.
Last edited by vio on Feb 22, 2017, 8:32:01 AM
"
vio wrote:
it shouldn't warn people that they overwrite their steam accounts when creating a standalone account using the steam email.

it should deny the account creation and let them contact support in case they really want go overwrite their steam accounts.

I mentioned something like this a month ago, a lot of help subforum problems would never be posted if they had a step by step guide of what to do regarding whatever you are trying to do regarding steam and the standalone. 95% of it would just default to "Contact Support first." and that would eb the end of it.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
"
"
vio wrote:

I mentioned something like this a month ago, a lot of help subforum problems would never be posted if they had a step by step guide of what to do regarding whatever you are trying to do regarding steam and the standalone. 95% of it would just default to "Contact Support first." and that would eb the end of it.

i can imagine ggg having no way to know the email address behind the steam credentials a user has.

would be nice if ggg could shed some light into this issue.
Hey guys! I'm here to help shed a little light on the situation for you. :3

Path of Exile accounts created using Steam do not automatically assign an email address as that information is not necessary to access the account using the Steam client - you only need to be logged into on your Steam profile and you can launch the game from there to access your account that way.

In order to add an email address to an account for the first time, Support will need to do that for you.

If you attempt to do it backwards (ie. create a new standalone account on the Path of Exile website with your email address and password, and then use the website function to attach that new account to your Steam profile) you will write over any Steam-only account attached to your Steam profile in favour of the new standalone account that you have just created.

I hope that clears up any confusion! If you need any further clarification or if you suspect you may have done it backwards (having no characters when you log in on the Steam client is a big clue!) your first course of action should be to email in to us at support@grindinggear.com and provide 1-2 of your character names, or your exact Path of Exile account name if you know it.

We are always happy to answer any questions you may have before you attempt to link a profile to Steam so please don't be afraid to contact us and we will take a look at the account and let you know which way it needs to go. :D

Contact us at support@grindinggear.com!
"

If you attempt ... create a new standalone account on the Path of Exile website with your email address and password, and then use the website function to attach that new account to your Steam profile) you will write over any Steam-only account attached to your Steam profile in favour of the new standalone account that you have just created.

so the process of overwriting is done only when attaching an existing standalone account to an existing steam account on the website, thanks for the info.

some questions:

1) why is there a option to connect your standalone account with your steam account if the only outcome is that your steam account get's overwritten?

2) what exactly prevents me from letting support attach a fake email address / pwd to an steam account if i happen to know the char names (cause they're displayed on the website) as well as the steam account name?

wouldn't it be better if a steam account user could attach an email in the account settings himself after being logged in?
Last edited by vio on Feb 24, 2017, 5:16:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info