Best HC SSF build for a new league? Opinions?

"
Astarte911 wrote:
Can be everything that doesnt consume to many skill gems.

All ele skills need Penetration gems, so i would skip those. FB is one option, because its solid with totems. Wouldn't do it on self-cast. Otherwise you can do solid Ele Bow builds, since 2 Damage Auras and high IAS (Thicket) are easy to get. Same for ele Spec Throw. ED and dot things will be still good. All Chaos DMG skills are solid option as well, but keep in mind, that most bosses have a bit of Chaos Res, afaik.

I personally going for some Physical Spell, be it self or totem cast.

You get your "native" penetration gems as quest rewardsin most cases. Templars, witches, shadow and scion get them all; rangers get cold, maras get fire. Just don't play a duelist.

But agreed, a physical spell like bladefall or BV is easier and you don't care about weapons.
Bladefall works well on totems, and I'm told on traps/mines (never tried, and who plays mines?). Not sure about BV, suppose BV totems might work amusingly. I wouldn't like self-cast BV SSF HC, the playstyle of marching into the packs with probably indifferent gear seems too risky, but letting the totems do it should be fine: could work nicely on a BV totem mara with the Tukohama ascendancy so the totems taunt, as an alternative to RF.
Looking for a mature guild to play with?
http://www.guildmedieval.com
Courtesy, Integrity, Fair Play.

I understand this is a role playing game, but I don't think the best role to play should be shopkeeper. - AlteraxPoe
"
Varana wrote:

You get your "native" penetration gems as quest rewardsin most cases. Templars,...

Its about the additional gem slot you need with an elemental build, 'cuz of the penetration gem (which are a necessity).
GGG didnt achieved a well balanced state between elemental spells and physical spells; thats why physical spells are usually a lot stronger.
Welcome to the greatest of arenas, Duelist. God is watching you.

Most people posting in this thread seem to have no clue what ssf is all about. Farming and upgrading your gear.

Is it that hard to imagine you'd start as one build and transition to the one you want once you gather the required gear?

Also the guy asked for a build to try in the new league. Not a starter build. He didn't ask for the generic push a button obliterate the screen we are all used to.

Coming from people used to aquiring gear via trade it's sad to see you dismissing people's ideas with the following reason "you will never get x item in ssf". If ssf worked like that then nobody would play ssf.

Also following a build guide to the tee just proves that in a game where you need to adapt as you progress throughout the story most of you would not make it past normal without someone telling you "do this now" "grab that 10 levels later".

"
Hallsttattian wrote:
Most people posting in this thread seem to have no clue what ssf is all about. Farming and upgrading your gear.

Is it that hard to imagine you'd start as one build and transition to the one you want once you gather the required gear?

Also the guy asked for a build to try in the new league. Not a starter build. He didn't ask for the generic push a button obliterate the screen we are all used to.

Coming from people used to aquiring gear via trade it's sad to see you dismissing people's ideas with the following reason "you will never get x item in ssf". If ssf worked like that then nobody would play ssf.

Also following a build guide to the tee just proves that in a game where you need to adapt as you progress throughout the story most of you would not make it past normal without someone telling you "do this now" "grab that 10 levels later".

Hidden potential is a incredibly rare drop, i got exactly zero over the course of its implementation. This directly affects how common said unique is when chancing a base item.

I'd not argue that hidden potential builds are incredible in SSF, but thats more of a twink thing than a good build that stably farms stuff for other builds. And sure, you could roll a half functioning build that does what your target build does minus the key unique. I'd argue that running something first that performs well from the get-go and can farm all those items you'd want is a better way to go about, if you are not terribly stressed out by the ladder.
Quite nice discussion here! Thx a lot for your feedback dudes!

For last several days I`ve tested various builds on hc breach (empty stash, pretty close to ssf if you do not trade or take anything from guild stash) and now I think I will start with dual totems. Will see what it would be - flameblast, firestorm or even spark.
IGN: Bunch_Of_Rotting_Dicks
Agreed, I don't know when Hidden Potential was added to the game but I've played every league since OB with many 80+ and some 90+ characters, all SF (occasional grouping or levelling items shared with guild). Seen exactly 0 of them drop.
I've had a few Carcass Jacks, I'd say about one every third league or so. Never had a BotC - nor an RotC, although I've had about 5 of the masks (Mind otC, is it?), and I've run every silver coin I've seen bar the 2-3 in stash now.

I'd never recommend planning an SSF build around any rare-drop unique item. In fact, I'd recommend not planning on any unique - not even levelling with Goldrim/Lifesprig/whatever, because the chances are you won't see one until level 70+.

You might find a good rare unique while levelling or mapping, and then it's time to plan a build around it. Not the other way round.
If you're incredibly lucky you get something designed for your current build: more commonly, you'll get a unique you can sort-of use but you won't have an optimal setup because you'll have to compromise on resists/life/defences elsewhere to juggle your less-good gear and fit in the new piece.

As for the idea
"
start as one build and transition to the one you want once you gather the required gear?

Depends if you're happy running the build you don't want until level 99+ because you don't drop a key unique. If I was really waiting for a Hidden Potential... I'd still be waiting.
Much better to plan a build you want which doesn't need any specific unique or even especially good rare just to function well enough for you to enjoy playing it.
Looking for a mature guild to play with?
http://www.guildmedieval.com
Courtesy, Integrity, Fair Play.

I understand this is a role playing game, but I don't think the best role to play should be shopkeeper. - AlteraxPoe
I found that caustic arrow was easy to build for SSF. A +1 or +2 sharpshooters bow can carry you a long way. There are a lot of ways to scale damage and a decent amount of gem choices. A wither totem works wonders also.
I'm probably going spark trickster and if i drop ring of blades imma swap over to EK.

Basically follows the entire same defensive lay-out and overlaps on projectile modifiers, just gotta swap elemental to phys with respecs if i get lucky on the threshold jewel drop.

Spark is just so enjoyable to play in my opinion. But ring of blades EK would totally fit the trickster theme and will also be a lot of fun i think.

I really dislike the totem play-style even if it provides safety.

In therms of item acquisition, all items from atziri benefit both builds and are farm-able in a SSF environment. And rares will be the bulk of the design, though some unique's would offer "interesting" mechanical choices if i get them, but since they are not mandatory to make the builds function it's a win if i don't win if i do situation.

Top 3 SSF HC
- pizzablast totems
- caustic arrow
- SRS summoner

I reckon those would be top in a hc environment, both in therms of item acquisition overall and development to end-game status.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Rush Vagan 6. Get Vagan daggers. CoC all day
"
Boem wrote:
I'm probably going spark trickster and if i drop ring of blades imma swap over to EK.

I think they've said, they prolly gonna add a feasable way to get those new skill Jews. Hopefully via the vendors.
Welcome to the greatest of arenas, Duelist. God is watching you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info