Ascendency points and Oriath (aka remove Labyrinth mandatoriness)

"
Aynix wrote:
"
Riborg wrote:
I always overlevel and cheese it. Get lvl 65-ish and do normal and cruel lab. Mercyless lab around 70-80-ish if I really need it, or get carried. I have a couple lvl 80+ toons, and a lvl 90, on HC. Have never done uberlab as the trials are just pure torture. Some trials are impossible to do due to the build. You can have the tankiest minions possible but they WILL die to the bleed-totem trap thing. If that was your DPS spectres you are fucked. Got a slow tank-esque character? Too bad, you wont make it, too slow. Got a tanky high-life toon? Now you are at disadvantage as instant flasks only fill 20% of your life, aka 0.1 seconds worth of trap damage. The trap i hate the most are the spikes coming up from the ground. Other traps you can mostly bypass with lightningwarp but not these. OK for normal lab when you can cheese the mobs, but then in uber trials you get the temp chains totems, bleed totems and some proper mobs to kill, while trying to reach the end of a never ending passage covered with timed spikes. Its just a pure sadistic self-torturing experience.

If the majority of the game was like this I would certainly never play it. No matter what your build is your character will be inferior if you skip this so its pretty much mandatory as content is balanced around you having the points.

So I might try to make a lab-character with super high regen%, flask nodes, not too much life, and good movement speed. Do the labs and then spend a shitload of currency to respec into something I enjoy playing. Or not lol. WTB "minion bleed avoidance support gem".

When I read something like that I am asking myself if that person rly seen lab trials/uber lab. You need 1 movement skill (lighting warp/shield charge/blink arrow/whirling blades) and you can do almost ALL of those trials in 2-3 min. (only one which will take you longer is burning rage). You just need to know how to do it. Great tip for you, and for all other whinners. Do you see totems? STAY ON THE DAMN TOTEM. Traps can't be in place of totem, so if you kill totem - you have place to stay before rushing next traps.
I will post here my video later, on which I literally walk through traps without single potion used on my charatcer with 400!! life regen. (impossible right? everyone know that you need all life regen nodes possible and like 3k/s life regen)
I posted a video before as well doing a no flask through trap areas run in 10~ minutes on my slow as shit Gladiator (no life flask no bleed flask, minimal regeneration, i think i had like 2%) and i did it blind, didnt know which lay out it was for the day. I could have done it much faster if i knew the layout ahead of time, soo id estimate 6-8 minutes if i knew it before hand soo i could navigate it properly.

People apparently are soo ADD they dont even have the attention span to pay attention to a trap pattern and avoid it entirely with movement skills or just regular running. You can post all the videos showing how easy it is and yet theyll still try to argue instead of bettering themselves.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Last edited by Tin_Foil_Hat on Feb 20, 2017, 8:57:38 AM
To make it clear I didn't read the replies and I have no idea if someone already posted the same thing.

So my thoughts about the lab:

I don't think you need to "like" it to do it. I honestly see it as a test of my character in higher lvls.
I think of it as a lvling part of every character.
I am not super excited about the lab, but I don't mind doing it, I think its a cool addition to the game.
I love this game because POE staff is putting so much effort into it.

Not sure if my post helps you change your mind or not, but I hope its not too dreadful for you to play along with it.
" Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. "
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:

People apparently are soo ADD they dont even have the attention span to pay attention to a trap pattern and avoid it entirely with movement skills or just regular running. You can post all the videos showing how easy it is and yet theyll still try to argue instead of bettering themselves.

Honestly, it's less that the lab is difficult and more that a) it's incredibly annoying and random, and b) the game's mechanics aren't particularly suited for it.

Regarding a), you can avoid most traps by just being careful and timing it right, but there's always that one spot that can only be beaten by mashing flasks and charging through. You know, tight hallways with 2 spinning pillars and a slow totem in the middle, a few dozen crisscrossing poison arrows and a bunch of saws, etc.

As for b), the movement options in the game simply aren't precise enough for a game mode that requires you to dance around hitboxes with perfect accuracy. The only ones that kinda work are Lightning Warp and Blink Arrow, both of which aren't easily accessible for every build.

The lab is fine and I like that they took the risk to fundamentally change the formula for at least that zone, but the fact remains that I'm never glad, like I am with masters, when I find a trial in a map. It's always "ugh, now I gotta do this". And that's really not a great feeling.
"
saladful wrote:
Honestly, it's less that the lab is difficult and more that a) it's incredibly annoying and random, and b) the game's mechanics aren't particularly suited for it.
[..]
You know, tight hallways with 2 spinning pillars and a slow totem in the middle[..]

There's essentially nothing random about the Labyrinth, except monster spawns. Every tile is hand-crafted, the "randomness" comes from the order in which each tile appears, which has no bearing on how the traps play out.

Stand on the slow totem. Kill it. Move on. Not terribly difficult.

"
saladful wrote:
As for b), the movement options in the game simply aren't precise enough for a game mode that requires you to dance around hitboxes with perfect accuracy. The only ones that kinda work are Lightning Warp and Blink Arrow, both of which aren't easily accessible for every build.

Your character moves to where you click. That's pretty precise imo.
(Warp/Blink > Leap/walking > Whirl/Charge)

More importantly however, you shouldn't need anywhere near perfect accuracy. Something that's not immediately obvious and I found pretty tricky to teach myself: if you get hit by a spike trap or cleaver or w/e, it's best to stand still so you don't run into the next trap as well. They take a couple seconds to re-arm, take that time to plan your escape. Generally enough to get me through every trap gauntlet.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 20, 2017, 12:28:40 PM
i also quit because of trials, manditory booring chore and does not belong.
It was always saddening to see GGG put so much work into the lab and even at one point saying no other arpg had something truly like it only to see the community seem to dislike it so much and beg for a way to skip it totally.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Wilmots wrote:
Lab is fantastic, because its challenging. This is an issue for some players. So.

such skill, much challenge

Have you ever considered that some people hate it for various different reasons, but not because of being unable to run it safely?

This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
"
Xeledon2132 wrote:
Hi,

you might want to try what I did this league - play PoE if you want to, just don't do the Lab.
While you do give up some power and theorycrafting fun, the game is still a blast to play without APs.

In fact that's one point I have to cede to the Lab defenders. It really is optional for me.

I still hope they'll some day provide another way to get APs - but until then just playing without them will do for me. I also hope that people making it to maps while refusing to ascend shows up in some statistic GGG looks at and get them sinking.

So come join my non-agressive resistance! ;)

I wait to do Normal Lab until I hit Act 3 Cruel.
Then I just basically walk through it.
There are 2 easy APs.
"
torturo wrote:
"
Wilmots wrote:
Lab is fantastic, because its challenging. This is an issue for some players. So.

such skill, much challenge

Gosh, a character built to run the Labyrinth is good for running the Lab. What an eye-opener.
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:

Regarding a), you can avoid most traps by just being careful and timing it right, but there's always that one spot that can only be beaten by mashing flasks and charging through. You know, tight hallways with 2 spinning pillars and a slow totem in the middle, a few dozen crisscrossing poison arrows and a bunch of saws, etc.

The lab is fine and I like that they took the risk to fundamentally change the formula for at least that zone, but the fact remains that I'm never glad, like I am with masters, when I find a trial in a map. It's always "ugh, now I gotta do this". And that's really not a great feeling.

You are wrong. Every single mobility skill is available for everyone. You like blink arrow but you are marauder? Eqquip in II weapon slot bow with blink arrow and click X whenever you do trial. Same with all other skills.

Pro tip for saws, pillars and rumbas: dont run away from it, run TOWARDS it.

They only problem with trials come from using VP as life-based character since you don't regenerate at all. Good for me, never liked that op VP anyway.
Last edited by Aynix on Feb 20, 2017, 1:39:22 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info