Mind Over Matter vs Dual Curse Survivability

I wanted to know would be considered better overall mitigation, dual curse( enfeeble + temporal chains) or Mind over Matter? I will be making either a glacial hammer duelist or a static strike duelist for 2.6 but I want to make sure I have the pros and cons down on both types of defense first.

Pros of dual curse look to be:

- Big slow combo in conjunction with chill
- High damage buffer vs regular and spike damage
- 0 maintenance thanks to blasphemy

Cons

- Have to level scion to get most of my gems
- Have to sacrifice gear slot for an item that favors blue/green ( that or roll hundreds of chromes)
- drastically weakened by bosses even with easy access to 30% curse effectiveness

Dual curse looks to be very strong vs trash and slightly weaker vs bosses. I think glacial hammer would work well with this since it offers easy to apply chill to greater improve the effects of temporal chains.

Mind over Matter Pros

- 30% damage buffer that is consistent regardless of monster type
- Easy to build Leech and regen around

Cons

- Weak vs multiple hits
- requires extra points and gearing around mana which can usually be ignored
- greatly restricts the use of auras to 0 to 1

Mind over matter looks to be weaker vs trash ( way more hits to drain mana) and more consistent vs Bosses. I feel static strike would work best with this since static discharges cont as hits. This not only lets you tally up leech instances faster but also increases the potency of life/mana on hit claws.

Last bumped on Feb 18, 2017, 11:11:55 PM
MoM gives you just more "life". I would use dual curse because I would preffer to not get hit (chill + temp chain makes dodging rly easy) instead having more "life".
One of my current characters uses both. You can reserve all your mana and still have a MoM setup with Eldritch Battery.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Dual curse used to be stronger by far, but it got hit kinda hard by recent changes to bosses and map mods. So partly depends on the content you intend to run and how sensitive your build is to map mods. A well supported Temporal Chains is still capable of "turning off" all non-boss monsters, meaning they die before they have a chance to finish their first action.

Mana based MoM can be useful against bosses as it protects you from oneshots somewhat, but its advantage is very situational, it's often better to simply get more base life and mitigation from your passives/mana reservation. But MoM is getting a buff allegedly, so things might change a little.

"
Exiledtyrant wrote:
I wanted to know would be considered better overall mitigation, dual curse( enfeeble + temporal chains) or Mind over Matter?

Enfeeble + Temporal Chains vs MoM (using no curse): Dual Curse is better even vs boss with 60% less. With exceptions like some bosses that you cant curse (or dont want to curse) and anti-curse map mods.

"
Exiledtyrant wrote:

- Have to sacrifice gear slot for an item that favors blue/green ( that or roll hundreds of chromes)

You want some evasion stuff anyway. Otherwise you dont make full use of 'Enfeeble'.

"
Exiledtyrant wrote:

Mind over Matter Pros
- Weak vs multiple hits
Mind over matter looks to be weaker vs trash ( way more hits to drain mana) and more consistent vs Bosses.

I dont see your point here. I dont see any particular weakness of MoM vs multiple hits if you - as you write - rely on a combination of leech (from the Duelist passives) and regen and gain-on-hit. Mana will replenish just like life as long as you got enough max mana.

"
Exiledtyrant wrote:

I feel static strike would work best with this since static discharges cont as hits. This not only lets you tally up leech instances faster but also increases the potency of life/mana on hit claws.

There are alot of other skills which hit often/many mobs.

"
Zed_ wrote:
But MoM is getting a buff allegedly, so things might change a little.

If you mean the 'mana nodes behind MoM' - not so sure I would even take them with non-Templar MoM build. So I dont really expect much of a buff. Its not like CI node for which even a "small" 'more' multiplier on ES is powerful. Putting the same 'more' on mana would be worthless for most builds.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
There is a thread about MoM change expectations here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/5uutu4/what_do_you_think_the_new_mind_over_matter/

Some of the ideas are out-of-whack though. CI/LL people would take MoM...
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
"
Zrevnur wrote:
"
Zed_ wrote:
But MoM is getting a buff allegedly, so things might change a little.

If you mean the 'mana nodes behind MoM' - not so sure I would even take them with non-Templar MoM build. So I dont really expect much of a buff. Its not like CI node for which even a "small" 'more' multiplier on ES is powerful. Putting the same 'more' on mana would be worthless for most builds.

We will see what the nodes are. They might come with additional %redirect to mana, like the dodge nodes behind Acro. Which still wouldn't be amazing, but better than nothing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info