Unexpected Disconnection on New Machine

Switched to a new laptop and the standalone client today, and was running fine for several hours, then suddenly began experiencing "unexpected disconnection"s. This happened only occasionally with old laptop, and usually it was tied to general loss of internet.

Sometimes the disconnection happen before the town even starts to load, after selecting a character, while sometimes I can get all the way into a map and then disconnect. Never longer than ~4 minutes between disconnects though.

I checked windows firewall settings; I don't really know what I'm looking for but I explicitly added Path as allowed to communicate through the firewall (PathOfExile.exe, PathOfExile_x64.exe, Client.exe) and turned off the McAffee "internet protection" thing that came with the laptop.

Also tried switching regions and network mode (lockstep/predictive). No improvement, or unanticipated change.

Here's the trace I ran: http://pastebin.com/sLg0v6QT. As I mentioned earlier, my old laptop runs Path without unexpected disconnects, so I ran a trace on it as well: http://pastebin.com/rpE3dnaP. To me they look identical, but I hope seeing both will help figure out what the issue is.
Last bumped on Feb 21, 2017, 7:45:33 PM
Both of the WinMTRs you posted are showing packet loss to your modem. The general idea of WinMTR is that your computer checks the route taken to a destination, then says "hello!" to every node along the way. How long it takes each node to respond to each message is recorded. Packet loss is where a message is sent and never receives a response at all.

It's looking like an unstable wireless connection inside your home. If connecting your PC to the modem with an Ethernet cable is possible then I recommend it; otherwise the next best thing is to pick up a powerline adapter kit and use that instead. You can try contacting your ISP for advice, but most companies out there will just insist their network is fine and hang up the phone.

As an aside, McAfee is akin to a virus and I'd make uninstalling it a priority.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Feb 18, 2017, 6:51:31 AM
Thanks for the response. The main confusion I had was why the newer laptop was having the issue and the older laptop wasn't, if they were both showing the same percentage loss to the modem.

With that said, the new laptop has been mostly fine since I originally posted, and I've purchased an ethernet cable to use from now on, so hopefully things stay stable.

And yes, disabling McAfee was definitely a preliminary to removing it entirely. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info