PewDiePie vs Fake News

"
"
diablofdb wrote:
hey guys I'm trying to read your posts and shit....

one thing came up to my mind, intelligent people are able to shorten their complex most thoughts in just a few words.

Okay. How does quantum mechanics work?

You have 20 words.

Have fun.

It's the mathematization of the movements and interration of subatomic particles and their emission of energy.

Boom 17 words
"
"
diablofdb wrote:

one thing came up to my mind, intelligent people are able to shorten their complex most thoughts in just a few words.

You have 20 words.

Have fun.

/r/iamverysmart

Do you do work with physics for a living, or are you just one of those neckbeards that posts on Facebook with those awkward humble brags about how "people are listening to le justin beiber and im le pondering the universe and studying quantam physics, its so hard to have conversations with normal people because im so le smart" because god that comment is perfect cringe material

it's always quantum mechanics

https://www.reddit.com/r/iamverysmart/comments/5k8tdg/its_always_quantum_mechanics/

anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on Feb 19, 2017, 5:48:42 PM
"

I was talking about PewDiePie in the quoted post.
My apologies, I missed that when I was reading through and trying to get caught up with the thread. I don't follow PDP, though I have heard his name mentioned in various gaming circles numerous times. I will go back to lurking in the thread, as I am not informed enough on PDP to make much of a contribution. I mainly jumped in because I thought the comment was on Trump, and I was thinking there's just no way...

I do wonder if part of what we are seeing with news media credibility questioning has to do with the facts that
A) The public expects information NOW, and journalists don't really have the time to research things as they could before without being scooped.
B)The market for journalism has become spread so wide and so thin that their isn't much of a budget if at all for many stories. It is kind of tough to send a reported out to check on a story, or even pay for 2 hours of phone calls, when no one is willing to pay the news companies.

Sorry again for mistaking that you were talking about Trump.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
diablofdb wrote:
"
"
diablofdb wrote:

You have 20 words.

Have fun.

It's the mathematization of the movements and interration of subatomic particles and their emission of energy.

Boom 17 words

I don't believe you. Citations and details, please.

Still keeping it below 20 words.
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
IGN: HopeYouAreFireProof
"
"
jackof8lades wrote:
@budget player

just a quik look at the cites you gave

1 A study from sweden yeah srry cannot and will not belief those studies were not non biased the whole country lives in denial of reality.

Maybe you missed this, but your source cites a study from Sweden. And lies about it! You didn't address that, but whatever.

"
But lets have a look anyway lol that succesrate wow impressive and ofc total bs would not be surprised if they cherrypicked these patients out of a larger pool,or outright lied.

I had to sorta sit here for a minute when I read this, because it kind of blew my mind how fucking blinkered this claim was.

Perspective or the lack of it makes a big difference in how someone approaches a topic like this. Someone who isn't familiar with gender dysphoria (from study or personal experiences) can only approach the subject from limited inferences. Someone looking at studies and suicide/depression rates post transformation may not understand how significant the suicide/depression rate was before hand. Although the DSMV V lists gender dysphoria as a disorder, it is only under certain conditions. There's a rough guide here: https://psychcentral.com/disorders/gender-dysphoria-symptoms/ but it isn't a score card where so many points qualify someone. Whether it falls into disorders depends mainly on:

"The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning."

People can and are as different in how this affects them as people are different in just about how anything else effects them.

From the admittedly sparse information I have seen so far on this, a lot of the success rate depends on how successful the patient considered the surgery was in making them as feminine or masculine as they expected to be. Some of the regret also has to do with losing the ability to have children (and some advocate banking of sperm or eggs before reassignment surgery. Some of it has to do with how family and friends accept the person.

The first is somewhat similar to concerns that anyone who has had plastic surgery would have. The second is no different than a conventional person who realizes they can no longer have children. The last is very similar to those that have friends and family that don't accept them.

In short, people may be conflating problems that really aren't unique to gender reassignment surgery to the results, making the results questionable in their efficacy. I would agree that some very thorough and honest counseling would be good to make sure this is what someone wants and they know about all the consequences.

After that, let people live their own lives. Just because I may not understand why someone feels differently about something, doesn't mean I should judge them harshly for it. This world would be a very boring place if we were all the same.

For those that have put some of their personal perspective into the conversation (in this thread and others) you have my respect for being brave enough to discuss it publicly, and my sincerest hopes that everything goes as well as possible.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
"
"
diablofdb wrote:

You have 20 words.

Have fun.

"
diablofdb wrote:

Boom 17 words

I don't believe you. Citations and details, please.

Still keeping it below 20 words.

my stab at this:

Infinities of ever less likely probabilities exist until measured, when one aspect becomes absolutely certain and the other completely unknowable.

"
DalaiLama wrote:
Infinities of ever less likely probabilities exist until measured, when one aspect becomes absolutely certain and the other completely unknowable.
That's the uncertainty principle in 20 words. The uncertainty principle is but one member of the larger set of quantum mechanics concepts.

Now, I could just list members of the set: "Quantum mechanics is physics at small scales, utilizing quantization, wave-particle duality, and the uncertainty principle." Of course, that leaves three somewhat esoteric terms undefined, which I imagine would be BPC's objection to such an answer. However, this objection is a sophist trap, because every word can be broken up into smaller conceptual parts, requiring more words. More teaching, more elaboration, could always be demanded. He can comfortably refuse any answer whatsoever and claim his challenge insurmountable.

But this isn't totally unfair, because it is relevant to the comment BCP originally replied to. Yes, a certain type of vocabulary knowledge allows one to convey concepts tersely, but such terseness isn't understandable except to those who can unpack the dense words used. Actually explaining a concept well requires a verbosity roughly proportional to the distance between the speaker's presentation and the pre-existing​ knowledge of their audience.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 20, 2017, 1:03:48 AM
Bingo.

When a guy starts with "here's a several-pages-long source full of nonsensical claims, all cited to even longer documents, debunk this", and someone else butts in and demands it be done shortly and succinctly, that person deserves only one, aptly short response: "sod off".

(Edited for clarification.)
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
Last edited by Budget_player_cadet on Feb 20, 2017, 7:34:13 AM
"
When a guy starts with "here's a several-pages-long source full of nonsensical claims, all cited to even longer documents, debunk this", the person demanding that that be done succinctly or in the span of a single paragraph deserves only one, aptly short response: "sod off".
Odd claim, as your response was different. I prefer your practice to your preach.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 20, 2017, 1:45:00 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
When a guy starts with "here's a several-pages-long source full of nonsensical claims, all cited to even longer documents, debunk this", the person demanding that that be done succinctly or in the span of a single paragraph deserves only one, aptly short response: "sod off".
Odd claim, as your response was different. I prefer your practice to your preach.

Oh no, I'll gladly respond to the nonsensical claims and source. What really pisses me off is intellectual laziness. I do believe I have in the past told diablofdb to sod off, in approximately as many words. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info