PewDiePie vs Fake News

"
Call me crazy, but given the rise of the alt-right, jokes that make light of this stuff just don't come across as particularly funny. :/

Don't worry. You wont see the "antisemitic alt-right" marching and chanting in support of Hamas terrorists, like the "liberal" left does.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
http://www.vox.com/culture/2017/2/17/14613234/pewdiepie-nazi-satire-alt-right
"
Jokes like Kjellberg’s — unfunny comparisons of a black woman to a gorilla, unsophisticated messaging that Jews should die, randomized insertions of speeches from Hitler into commentary on other topics — undermine, rather than illustrate, the fundamental abhorrence of racist ideas and Nazi ideology. Their construction is designed to make you question whether Kjellberg actually believes what he’s saying, which in turn causes you to question whether the ideology itself is indeed shameful.
The interesting word here is "fundamental." What does it mean? "Necessary" as in: one should not merely avoid attraction to such ideas, but must spend a part of their lives actively hating them? "Principal" as in: there is nothing more abhorrent than racist ideas, no greater evil? "Unquestionable" as in: there is to be no debate over what society deigns abhorrent or not? Many different ways to interpret the word here.

When talking about racist ideas and nazi ideology, I don't think think calling them fundamentally abhorrent isn't really that controversial. These ideas are wrong, and they led to millions of deaths.

"
As I said in another thread, you don't understand trolling. Trolling is indeed intended to undermine, but not necessarily "fundamental" ideas themselves so much as the fundamentalism which surrounds such ideas, eroding quasi-religious adherence to make room, hopefully, for critical thinking. Yes, Vox, questioning; excellent diction.

I'd say that what you're describing is more satire than trolling. But the problem isn't satirizing nazis. Mel Brook did a hell of a job satirizing nazis. It's how you satirize them. It's the difference between a joke that takes the piss out of racists and makes them look like disgusting idiots, and a joke where the punchline is "I was just pretending to be a racist jk lol". The former hurts the cause of racists. The latter is how the racists provide cover for themselves these days.

"
CetniK wrote:
The media has been wholly left leaning for at least the last 12 years.

But the media is neither the legislative, executive, or judicial branch of the US government. Their power is exclusively in their influence.

"
It has given the far left a voice it never had before and it normalized it (example: BLM). What we ended up with was political correctness with progressives who bullied and shouted racism at anyone who wasn't 'progressive' enough. It is amusing how some still don't realize what's been happening over the last few years. People are sick of political correctness, they're sick of identity politics, they're sick of being told they're racist, bigoted, etc. There isn't a 'resurgence' of white supremacy or racism. Rather, there's a backlash against far left politics that hijacked the moderate left. What happened to the moderate left? They're moving towards the center - see Dave Rubin.

TBH I'm considerably more worried about racism than people being called racist. The former is a constant, pervasive impact in our society; the latter I'm considerably more worried about the things political correctness purports to fight than about "political correctness" itself. And the reason identity politics exists (and, in case you missed it, pushed Trump to victory on the back of white identity politics) is because certain segments of the population face serious hardships on the basis of their identity. It's entirely reasonable to point it out when one of the two main political parties doesn't want you to have the same rights as anyone else, and indeed treats you like an abomination that will burn in hell.

Have you ever spent the time trying to understand the things you're criticizing? I wouldn't ask if I didn't see a whole lot of people who didn't. From my experience, most people who bang on about "political correctness" don't really even have a coherent concept of what that's supposed to mean. Like Dave Rubin.
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
IGN: HopeYouAreFireProof
"

The left? Hang on a minute, the right controls every branch of government at almost every level in the USA at the moment! How the heck could the left be pushing for this?

At the moment, what you mean the last month sinds the elections? pretty sure we had obama for 8 years before this.
It's ok to be white

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.”

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
"
CetniK wrote:
"
kolyaboo wrote:
They are trying to push a European style law in the US where it is illegal to make anti (fill in the blank) comments. Whatever happened to sensible laws?

The left went off the deep end. Today's youngsters will grow up to be against the hysterical outrage culture and identity politics of today.

Identity politics? Youre saying its a bad thing to protect LGBT kids and teens?
"
Then it should be pretty easy to quote where they called him a Nazi.

A quick search reveals:

"A Comb-Over Hitler in Demagogue Clothing" Guardian

"Comparing the alt-right to Nazism may be hyperbolic — but it's not ridiculous" Vox

"Sure, call Trump a Nazi. Just make sure you know what you’re talking about." WaPo

"Donald Trump prompts Nazi references" CBS

"ABC, NBC Hype Comparing Trump to Hitler, the Nazis":

Both ABC and NBC on Tuesday hyped the comparison of Donald Trump to the Nazis and Adolf Hitler. Today co-host Savannah Guthrie noted that the businessman has asked crowds to take a loyalty oath. Reporter Peter Alexander reminded, “One prominent Jewish leader comparing the loyalty gesture from the Trump audience to a Nazi salute.” Guthrie pressed, “I wonder how you feel about that comparison and whether it would make you want to perhaps not do it anymore if people feel that way?”

Over on Good Morning America, George Stephanopoulos observed, “Meantime the number of prominent people comparing you to Adolf Hitler is actually growing by the day. You saw over the weekend Louie C.K. Also, Glenn Beck, he did that this week.” Stephanopoulos added, “I can't remember that kind of comparison being used against any other presidential candidate. Does it suggest to you should tone down your rhetoric and your tactics?”

In December, CNN, ABC and CBS touted the Philadelphia Daily News likening Trump to Hitler.

In contrast, when Tea Party members compared Obama to Hitler, an angry CNN reporter deemed it "offensive." Over on MSNBC, Ed Schultz railed against a Republican House member who did the same to Obama: “This congressman should have better judgment than to associate any president of the United States in the same sentence or same vein or in any comparison whatsoever with Adolf Hitler.”

TLDR - If someone didn't notice the MSM portraying Trump as a Nazi/Hitler than they were living in an alternate dimension.

The new shtick, since the old Nazi one didn't work, is portraying Trump as a fascist. Some of the lists that people have as proof is ludicrous. Trump certainly has strong popular support in a large base, and has a lot of the bull headed "my way or the highway" takes on positions. That is true of many CEOs, business executives, parents, university professors and celebrities.

What many people are completely missing in analyzing the current or past presidents is polarization. Each president is more polarized in the way they act and promulgate policy, but they are not any more polarized than the public is.

If people don't want such angry -at each others' throat- politicians, then people need to be more accepting of compromise on policy themselves. The sitting president is no more polarized than our previous president was, it is just his policies that are reversed in position.

The pendulum will swing back - it always does. When it hangs too long on one side, it just swings to the other with more energy.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Feb 19, 2017, 3:42:13 AM
"
sarahaustin wrote:

They are harmed not protected by leftist idiology and legislation

https://www.acpeds.org/the-college-speaks/position-statements/gender-ideology-harms-children

also you might wanna read up on all the references listed.
It's ok to be white

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.”

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
Then it should be pretty easy to quote where they called him a Nazi.

A quick search reveals:

"A Comb-Over Hitler in Demagogue Clothing" Guardian

"Comparing the alt-right to Nazism may be hyperbolic — but it's not ridiculous" Vox

"Sure, call Trump a Nazi. Just make sure you know what you’re talking about." WaPo

"Donald Trump prompts Nazi references" CBS

Spoiler
"ABC, NBC Hype Comparing Trump to Hitler, the Nazis":

Both ABC and NBC on Tuesday hyped the comparison of Donald Trump to the Nazis and Adolf Hitler. Today co-host Savannah Guthrie noted that the businessman has asked crowds to take a loyalty oath. Reporter Peter Alexander reminded, “One prominent Jewish leader comparing the loyalty gesture from the Trump audience to a Nazi salute.” Guthrie pressed, “I wonder how you feel about that comparison and whether it would make you want to perhaps not do it anymore if people feel that way?”

Over on Good Morning America, George Stephanopoulos observed, “Meantime the number of prominent people comparing you to Adolf Hitler is actually growing by the day. You saw over the weekend Louie C.K. Also, Glenn Beck, he did that this week.” Stephanopoulos added, “I can't remember that kind of comparison being used against any other presidential candidate. Does it suggest to you should tone down your rhetoric and your tactics?”

In December, CNN, ABC and CBS touted the Philadelphia Daily News likening Trump to Hitler.

In contrast, when Tea Party members compared Obama to Hitler, an angry CNN reporter deemed it "offensive." Over on MSNBC, Ed Schultz railed against a Republican House member who did the same to Obama: “This congressman should have better judgment than to associate any president of the United States in the same sentence or same vein or in any comparison whatsoever with Adolf Hitler.”

TLDR - If someone didn't notice the MSM portraying Trump as a Nazi/Hitler than they were living in an alternate dimension.

The new shtick, since the old Nazi one didn't work, is portraying Trump as a fascist. Some of the lists that people have as proof is ludicrous. Trump certainly has strong popular support in a large base, and has a lot of the bull headed "my way or the highway" takes on positions. That is true of many CEOs, business executives, parents, university professors and celebrities.

What many people are completely missing in analyzing the current or past presidents is polarization. Each president is more polarized in the way they act and promulgate policy, but they are not any more polarized than the public is.

If people don't want such angry -at each others' throat- politicians, then people need to be more accepting of compromise on policy themselves. The sitting president is no more polarized than our previous president was, it is just his policies that are reversed in position.

The pendulum will swing back - it always does. When it hangs too long on one side, it just swings to the other with more energy.

(Spoiler tag mine.)

I was talking about PewDiePie in the quoted post.

Trump has been referred to as a Nazi quite a bit. The comparison is oversimplified to the point of being wrong; while there are analogues to the Third Reich that should raise red flags (specifically the rise of right-wing populism hinging in no small part on whipping up fear against cultural and religious minority groups as a fake solution for the problems people face), the analogy obviously isn't complete, and I think referring to someone as a "nazi" is loaded terminology that tends to be unproductive in all but the most obvious of situations, because one side points out "here's all the way this person was like Hitler" and the other person responds with "Well I don't see any death camps, and we haven't invaded Poland". That fucknugget who got clocked on TV is a nazi, but he actually refers to himself as such, so there's no wiggle room on that one, and it pretty much has to be that obvious for people to agree.

But the comparison to people like Putin or Órban is considerably more accurate, and not that much less scary. It's not just that he's saying "my way or the highway" (and for the record, the previous president was similarly polarized, but he was willing to compromise, even in situations where he didn't need to - the polarization came from the other side of the aisle). There are a number of ways in which Trump acts disturbingly authoritarian. He is going after those who would act as checks on his power - first and foremost the judiciary and the press. He is unconcerned with the truth of what he says, and cultivates a culture among his followers to believe the same - "Take him seriously, not literally", remember? He's unwilling to decry support from all but the most blatantly disgusting of his followers. He baselessly attacked the validity of an election he won - whether the purpose of this was to soothe his ego, or set up for another set of attempts to make it harder to vote, it's not a good sign.

Marco Rubio isn't like that. John McCain isn't like that. Paul Ryan, Ted Cruz, John Kasich... I would oppose their policies, but they don't terrify me the way Trump does. Trump represents something entirely new in American politics, and there's a reason the folks knowledgeable about fascism and authoritarianism are ringing the alarm bells. It's not just because they're a bunch of namby-pamby leftists. Stupid protesters who know very little about anything and MoveOn.org called Bush a fascist. Actual historical scholars are pointing out how Trump raises red flags. It's not just that the pendulum is swinging back. It's that it's swinging back with a grenade tied to it.
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
Last edited by Budget_player_cadet on Feb 19, 2017, 4:45:08 AM
"
jackof8lades wrote:
"

The left? Hang on a minute, the right controls every branch of government at almost every level in the USA at the moment! How the heck could the left be pushing for this?

At the moment, what you mean the last month sinds the elections? pretty sure we had obama for 8 years before this.

So where was this legislature being pushed to illegalize speech they don't like? What even was the person I quoted talking about?

"
jackof8lades wrote:
"
sarahaustin wrote:

https://www.acpeds.org/the-college-speaks/position-statements/gender-ideology-harms-children

And you might want to look into who the "American College of Pediatricians" is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_College_of_Pediatricians

"
The group was founded in 2002 by a group of pediatricians, including Joseph Zanga, a past president of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), as a protest against the AAP's support for adoption by gay couples.[2][3] The group's membership as of 2016 is estimated at 500 members,[4][5] in contrast to the AAP's over 60,000 members.[6]

The American College of Pediatrics claims, among other things, that children have better outcomes raised by opposite-sex couples than straight-sex couples (every study on the subject shows no noticeable difference and the AAP firmly disagrees), that schools should deny support to gay teenagers because many of them will "change their mind" (based on a misunderstanding of sexuality and supported by intentionally misrepresenting research), and abstinence-only sex education (which doesn't fucking work).

Given their numerous unscientific stances, the fact that on most issues, this one included, they stand directly in conflict with the American Academy of Pediatrics, a professional organization of pediatricians with more than 100 times as many members, I fail to see why we should listen to them on this issue. The references listed are an odd mishmash of dated research and misinterpretations of the cited material, with a significant dearth of actual peer-reviewed studies. I could go through it point by point, but you clearly didn't, so I'm not going to either. I'm just going to point out that the AAP (membership: 64,000), the APA (membership: 117,500), the American Psychiatric Association (membership: 36,000), and the AMA (membership: 217,000) all disagree.

ACPED is not a scientific institution. It's a conservative Christian group that wants to further the goals of conservative Christianity. They're the psychological equivalent of the Discovery Institute, a weak attempt to wrap nonsense in a lab coat, in the hope of fooling people. Please don't be fooled.
"
"
jackof8lades wrote:
"

So where was this legislature being pushed to illegalize speech they don't like? What even was the person I quoted talking about?

"
jackof8lades wrote:
"
sarahaustin wrote:

And you might want to look into who the "American College of Pediatricians" is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_College_of_Pediatricians

"
The group was founded in 2002 by a group of pediatricians, including Joseph Zanga, a past president of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), as a protest against the AAP's support for adoption by gay couples.[2][3] The group's membership as of 2016 is estimated at 500 members,[4][5] in contrast to the AAP's over 60,000 members.[6]

The American College of Pediatrics claims, among other things, that children have better outcomes raised by opposite-sex couples than straight-sex couples (every study on the subject shows no noticeable difference and the AAP firmly disagrees), that schools should deny support to gay teenagers because many of them will "change their mind" (based on a misunderstanding of sexuality and supported by intentionally misrepresenting research), and abstinence-only sex education (which doesn't fucking work).

Given their numerous unscientific stances, the fact that on most issues, this one included, they stand directly in conflict with the American Academy of Pediatrics, a professional organization of pediatricians with more than 100 times as many members, I fail to see why we should listen to them on this issue. The references listed are an odd mishmash of dated research and misinterpretations of the cited material, with a significant dearth of actual peer-reviewed studies. I could go through it point by point, but you clearly didn't, so I'm not going to either. I'm just going to point out that the AAP (membership: 64,000), the APA (membership: 117,500), the American Psychiatric Association (membership: 36,000), and the AMA (membership: 217,000) all disagree.

ACPED is not a scientific institution. It's a conservative Christian group that wants to further the goals of conservative Christianity. They're the psychological equivalent of the Discovery Institute, a weak attempt to wrap nonsense in a lab coat, in the hope of fooling people. Please don't be fooled.

Lol you leftist are hilarious even when presented whit facts you just claim that the scourse is not creddible yeah you can weasel your way out of any argument try again cause this aint working.
It's ok to be white

"
jackof8lades wrote:
Lol you leftist are hilarious even when presented whit facts you just claim that the scourse is not creddible yeah you can weasel your way out of any argument try again cause this aint working.

"Lol you rightists are hilarious even when presented whit [sic]facts you just ignore them yeah you can weasel your way out of any argument try again cause this aint working."

You cited a tiny pedagogic fringe group with a large number of demonstrably false views. I cited the AMA, AAP, APA, and American Psychiatric Association, all of whom disagree, based on the available evidence. And their cites come primarily from the peer-reviewed research, which is more than you can say about ACPED. How about you address my facts first, then I'll take a closer look at these nutjobs?

Or, alternatively, you can take a look at this extremely exhaustive debunking of ACPED's nonsensical claims. And if you're not interested in reading that, then I fail to see why me spending half an hour debunking the massive load of shit on that ACPED page would accomplish anything else.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info