New Computer Build - For Streaming

UPDATE 2-19-17

I put together a different build idea. The watercooling may be unnecessary, but I always wanted to try it!

I really am fixed on that case too. I like it a lot.

Guess I should start researching 1440 monitors now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Manocean/saved/hLVLkL

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($161.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($129.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Jet)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.88 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB STRIX Video Card ($413.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($134.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.58 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1676.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-19 00:16 EST-0500

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was thinking this, what do you guys think? I was starting to conceptualize it. I already have a RX480 and the SSD. I have an optical drive too.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($343.33 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($129.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($126.29 @ Jet)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.58 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1704.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-13 22:49 EST-0500
anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on Feb 19, 2017, 12:19:30 AM
Last bumped on Feb 21, 2017, 11:09:35 AM
The 7700 + Liquid cooling is a bit of a waste of money, you would be fine with an i5 and air. The 7700 is... boring, to say the least. For what you are doing you will get no benefit from it. A current or last gen i5 will do everything you need and then some.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Feb 13, 2017, 11:44:07 PM
"
tramshed wrote:
The 7700 + Liquid cooling is a bit of a waste of money, you would be fine with an i5 and air. The 7700 is... boring, to say the least. For what you are doing you will get no benefit from it. A current or last gen i5 will do everything you need and then some.

If I wasn't streaming I wouldn't get the 7700, but streaming is CPU intensive and that's why I was going 7700.

In the small amount of research I've done that seems to be recommended, I'll look into it more though
anything is everything
If you are going to be streaming at high resolution, then yeah, the extra power can help. Id go with the previous gen i7 then if its still cheaper, as the current one is an incremental upgrade at best. Either way, you dont need liquid cooling unless you are planning on overclocking, as they run just fine on air at stock speeds.

Oh yeah, and an optical drive? Really? LOL (Windows installs just fine off a thumb drive if thats why you are getting it)
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Feb 17, 2017, 8:27:26 AM
"
tramshed wrote:
If you are going to be streaming at high resolution, then yeah, the extra power can help. Id go with the previous gen i7 then if its still cheaper, as the current one is an incremental upgrade at best. Either way, you dont need liquid cooling unless you are planning on overclocking, as they run just fine on air at stock speeds.

Oh yeah, and an optical drive? Really? LOL (Windows installs just fine off a thumb drive if thats why you are getting it)

You're absolutely correct about the i7-6700 being fine. I do plan on overclocking, not extreme overclocking but I want the processor to be very cool.

I put the parts in the Partpicker including the parts I had from my computer 5 years ago, which included the Optical Drive, I have no computer and use my laptop for everything now (with no disc drive) and yea, most everything now you can do from bootable media.

Thanks for the help, I'm kinda wary about buying this PC now because every time I do more research, watch more videos from Tech channels on YouTube and look at more builds on various sites I find out I want to change something. I'm REALLLLLY glad I didn't just pull the trigger and hastily get all the parts I thought I wanted.

I basically have changed so much from the original post in this thread, I'm gonna have to remake the PC Partpicker list and edit that post.

1. Fuck the RX480 that thing is going out today back to amazon
anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on Feb 17, 2017, 2:22:57 PM
Honestly, I would just get a 1070 instead of crossfire RX 480s.

Then you could save a little bit on the motherboard as well.

Something else to note about the newer Intel CPUs is if you have someone de-lid them (I don't recommend doing this yourself unless you know your shit), and place thermal compound on the inside, you can lower temps by as much as 20c under high loads. Especially on water. This is what people were claiming on Overclock.net. And this isn't something that's new. It's been like this for the last few gens of Intel CPUs. The better your cooling is, the more dramatic the difference will be.

Someone local might do the de-lid for $50. If they break it, they buy you a new one. If you break it, you get #REKT. I saw a few topics on the internet where scrubs tried to de-lid themselves and there are quite a few failures. Funny stuff. Yeah, don't be the internet's next de-lid failure.

So if you plan on OCing + water, have someone de-lid that CPU and it'll run considerably cooler under load. Which consequently means you could go for a higher OC as well.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Feb 17, 2017, 2:58:06 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Honestly, I would just get a 1070 instead of crossfire RX 480s.

Then you could save a little bit on the motherboard as well.

Something else to note about the newer Intel CPUs is if you have someone de-lid them (I don't recommend doing this yourself unless you know your shit), and place thermal compound on the inside, you can lower temps by as much as 20c under high loads. Especially on water. This is what people were claiming on Overclock.net. And this isn't something that's new. It's been like this for the last few gens of Intel CPUs. The better your cooling is, the more dramatic the difference will be.

Someone local might do the de-lid for $50. If they break it, they buy you a new one. If you break it, you get #REKT. I saw a few topics on the internet where scrubs tried to de-lid themselves and there are quite a few failures. Funny stuff. Yeah, don't be the internet's next de-lid failure.

So if you plan on OCing + water, have someone de-lid that CPU and it'll run considerably cooler under load. Which consequently means you could go for a higher OC as well.

1070 is the plan, been eyeing them up! Returning the RX480 that I had in my possession today when I get out of work. I'll ask about the de-lid process and do some research
anything is everything
I'm not sure how your budget is looking; it's always easy to spend money that isn't yours. But if it were me, I'm not sure I'd spend $1704.80 on a PC and only end up with 275GB of SSD storage. Sure, SSDs are a bit of a luxury, but wallet-wise you're already fairly high up there.

The more you have on an SSD, the happy you'll be.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Feb 17, 2017, 7:20:27 PM
"
Sarno wrote:
I'm not sure how your budget is looking; it's always easy to spend money that isn't yours. But if it were me, I'm not sure I'd spend $1704.80 on a PC and only end up with 275GB of SSD storage. Sure, SSDs are a bit of a luxury, but wallet-wise you're already fairly high up there.

The more you have on an SSD, the happy you'll be.

Ahh, I have a nice job, it going to be my money, but you're right, the PC listed is kinda shit for 1700$

The SSD is something I already have, which is why I'll probably use it, but who knows!

I also said I have changed the build a lot since opening this thread. I'll edit it soon.

I could make a wayyyyy better build than the one I listed in the OP for 1700$ for cheaper too

My research is paying off and I'm glad I didn't buy the parts while I was excited before reality set in.

Also, there is a road in my town called Sarno Rd. It's a popular road.
anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on Feb 17, 2017, 8:23:26 PM
"
Manocean wrote:
Also, there is a road in my town called Sarno Rd. It's a popular road.

Sounds about right. :P
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info