Next league, make less grindy/trade enforced challenges.

"
Zrevnur wrote:
"
Docbp87 wrote:
I don't know anyone that vaals jewels for the implicits...

It makes some sense for SSF to do that if one wants 'silence': Vaal best unused jewels. If its a brick => nothing lost. If not some minor (other good implicit) or major (silence, lucky rare) gain.

"
Docbp87 wrote:
Also, corrupting jeweler's boxes is a terrible way to get corrupt-only jewels, if you are specifically trying to get them.

You are right at least for a SSF player. But for SSF it is only true if I want a corrupted unique Viridian. And even then it does not make the challenge efficient. I would still be better off corrupting boxes than corrupting other jewel types.
For a trading player corrupting boxes obviously beats corrupting individual jewels of a "bad" (in terms of expected trading profit) type.

How? Corrupting boxes is a total crap shoot. You might not get any jewels. The only corrupt-only jewels that have any real value (off the top of my head) are viridian bases (Sac Harvest, Chill early on, etc.). ID'ing viridians is worth it, because you regal if good, vaal if shit, which gives you a chance of getting a decent corrupt-only.

I don't even understand why we are talking about vaaling jeweler's boxes though. That has literally nothing to do with the corrupt only challenge xD...
U MAD?
"
Docbp87 wrote:
There were definitely a couple of "bullshit RNG" challenges this time, but the jewels were not one. If you vaaled 100 jewels or so, and actually kept track of what you were doing, you should easily have gotten it. There are enough really common corrupt only jewels that you can get like... 8? with no effort/time at all. The problematic RNG challenges IMO were Splinters from Chayula herself, and the Warbands box. It should have been of each type, and been a lower tier challenge, and the boxes should have just been any unique box (and hell, they could have even nerfed the spawn rate of Strange Barrels, which I think I found at least 15 of this league). These were the only two real RNG challenges that I saw a lot of people having a hard time with.

I don't mind the "grindy" challenges at all. In fact, I think they are some of the best ones. The end game grinds and map tiers were some of the most legitimate "challenges" there were. Sure, the 10k tiers was easy to do with tier 11 strands or whatever, but that was still an investment in time, which is what a grind is.

The fact of the matter is that if you choose to play a hard mode (ie. refuse to trade/party/share etc.) that's on you when it prevents you from hitting your goal with challenges.

I also think some folks maybe need a reality check with regards to their challenge tier goal. If you are a super casual, a couple hours a week type of player, then go for 12. That should be reasonably easy to achieve. If you play more than that but aren't a no-lifer, then 24 is for you. If you have serious time to commit, and want to make that investment of time (and currency lol), then 36 is for those guys.

Agreed on the 10k tiers, in the end i think i will manage it. The main problem really is the RNG/chayula stuff, imo. Chayula is too damm rare (tul/esh/xoph is around 6-8c each, uul is 19, chayula is 298; lmao) just +-2900% more expensive than the average of the other 4.
Buff life on the right side of the tree! Just a little! Pretty Please!
Last edited by The_Risen on Feb 14, 2017, 1:06:07 PM
"
Docbp87 wrote:
"

For a trading player corrupting boxes obviously beats corrupting individual jewels of a "bad" (in terms of expected trading profit) type.

How? Corrupting boxes is a total crap shoot. You might not get any jewels. The only corrupt-only jewels that have any real value (off the top of my head) are viridian bases (Sac Harvest, Chill early on, etc.). ID'ing viridians is worth it, because you regal if good, vaal if shit, which gives you a chance of getting a decent corrupt-only.

I don't even understand why we are talking about vaaling jeweler's boxes though. That has literally nothing to do with the corrupt only challenge xD...

Maybe there is a misunderstanding. I was complaining about the jewel challenge leading to waste-some-currency-for-no-proper-gains (corrupting individual jewels of 'bad' or unwanted type) which no normal player would otherwise do.

The reason why I brought up boxes is the following:
If the challenge would be so that getting corrupted jewels from box also counts then I would rather corrupt boxes (at first) instead of individual jewels. Because corrupting boxes is good anyway. Or rephrased: The challenge is made so that it leads to artificial inefficient behaviour. Not sure if I made my POV properly clear.

Or trying again: Challenges should be so that they reward smart behaviour: If I want a bunch of different corrupted jewels I corrupt boxes at first.
Instead it rewards stupid (disregarding the challenge) behaviour: If I want a bunch of different corrupted jewels I corrupt individiual ones (of 'bad'/unwanted type).
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
"
Docbp87 wrote:
"
Zrevnur wrote:

You misinterpreted 'Fruz's quote. I think. At least I interpreted it as "If you are lucky and dont brick it it has a chance to get a good implict from the Vaal orb". So "correct" == "has a certain amount of value".

No one would ever vaal a jewel that was already good to try to get the challenge, so that doesn't even make sense. You vaal garbage viridians to try to get Sac Harvests, not GG Viridians that you can sell on their own... I don't know anyone that vaals jewels for the implicits...

This is exactly why I didn't use "GG" jewels but "correct" jewels, things that you could sell for ~1 or 2 chaos maybe.
Things with for example 2 damage modifiers that can fit some builds ( and not life / ES here, bcause BHC ) and another meh but not necessarily pointless mod :
Spoiler

And yes, I often dislike vendoring things that could be useful to others

The implicit might just make them more attractive, or why not increase the price by a chaos.
And if it bricks it .... w/e.

And if you want corrupted jewel ..... I also think that corrupting boxes is very inneficient.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Feb 14, 2017, 7:23:45 PM
I'm going for 40 this league, and despite being stupid easy, these challenges are SOOOOOOO rng dependant, i'm really busting all my coin (up to more than 15ex atm) trying to do some myself while buying what i can.

This is yet the most stupid set of challenges i've seen in this game.

It's: stupid easy but strong RNG, therefore, grindy.
Grinding is not a challenge, never will be.

A challenge is something that makes you give your best or near it, nothing less can be considered a challenge.

Worst challenges ever made in humankind gaming existance: Corrupt jewels + chayula id.
People sell the id, ploft, challenge solved, want to do it yourself? Be prepared to spend 4ex20c each time and maybe lose everything because not a single unique drop. ROFLMFAO
edit: or may be lucky and get it without even knowing while playing the game xD i know it would've saved me the stupid idea of "gambling" chayula (because we don't go there and kill it, we go there and gamble it);
Last edited by The_Risen on Feb 25, 2017, 1:58:12 PM
More outlandish challenges.

Kill normal brutus, solo, before level 11, with a punch.

I suggested this elsewhere, but with only a white weapon, but I realized that would be too easy and exploitable. This way, there is no fuss. Finish him with a punch.

(Facebreaker requires level 16 for the record)

Left 4 Dead 2 had a similar achievement to take down the Tank with a melee weapon.
A kid with a magnifying glass. . . looming down on the anthill. Eventually one is going to get you.
"
The_Risen wrote:

Worst challenges ever made in humankind gaming existance: Corrupt jewels + chayula id.
People sell the id, ploft, challenge solved, want to do it yourself? Be prepared to spend 4ex20c each time and maybe lose everything because not a single unique drop. ROFLMFAO

Well you take issue with a very different set of challenges than I do. If it's obvious that the best way to complete a particular challenge is to buy it, that's what you should do. For the corrupt jewels, the only way I see it being bad RNG-wise is if you don't buy vaal orbs. I'm pretty sure I made a profit on that challenge since there are some very valuable viridian corrupt uniques.

The challenges I don't like are the ones that require massive time investment such as the 10k map tiers, find chayula in a breach, or open a warbands strongbox.
"
"
The_Risen wrote:

Well you take issue with a very different set of challenges than I do. If it's obvious that the best way to complete a particular challenge is to buy it, that's what you should do. For the corrupt jewels, the only way I see it being bad RNG-wise is if you don't buy vaal orbs. I'm pretty sure I made a profit on that challenge since there are some very valuable viridian corrupt uniques.

The challenges I don't like are the ones that require massive time investment such as the 10k map tiers, find chayula in a breach, or open a warbands strongbox.

Yup, i know, i gave up, will try to get the jewels + id by using the last currency i have. =/ feels so lame.
It's very good that half of the challenges are "just play the game" (maybe with a little effort put in, like actually killing merciless malachai for the first time ever, turn left in imperial gardens and activate the library waypoint, or other minor inconveniences).

For the rest: I think the best challenges for players are generally ones that don't need "very specific parameters for completion". You find this pattern in a lot of this league's challenges.

Upgrade 10 breach uniques: There's a list of 17, you only need 10, and you can let RNG decide which ones you'll get. Just farm breachlords, you'll get there. Fine.
Kill Vaal bosses: 5 out of 6. Fine.
Twinned maps: 1 per tier. But you get to choose which bosses you like to double up. Fine.
Atlas bonus: 25 out of a lot more. Fine.

So, how to apply this to other challenges?
Divination cards: I'd have included sets up to 16, and then make it "10 out of 16" again.
The entry for 11 was a pain in the ass, as there's no common/cheap entry for that number. Who actually wants to farm Crematorium for ages?
Identify breach uniques: not one per breach lord, but "10 out of 17".
Sextant mods: 10-15/X, not 6/6 specific ones.

And, the biggest offender: I really despised "open a warband chest".
That's just nuts, even though I found one eventually after 6.5k map tiers.

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
100% agreed.
bought
All 11 of my Artist cards after running like 200 "over grown ruin" and finding zero
The treasure prophecy (2 sets before I found unique strong box)

I usually dont give a crap about challenges though and any i get are by accident. I certainly never focused on them. Had to have dem wings this time.

Good thing is MTX sux next season so I'm back to not caring

My only real goal in this game every season is kill hardest bosses
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Feb 25, 2017, 4:20:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info