Forced name change for no reason

First thing I've read today that made me giggle through my cold.

"I'm right, you are all wrong. SHUT UP!"
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
Last edited by PleiadesBlackstar on Feb 14, 2017, 4:07:05 AM
i think there is a old suggestion of mine, suggesting that creating an account using a certain name should :

- only possible if there is no charcter with this name yet
- automatically reserve the account name for a character

reason being, i also ran into these problems with not giving much attention to initially reserving a character name similar of my account name and had a guy naming his char "geradon" and impersonating me. nothing i could do to change that as it was my fault.

my solution was to change the account name.

---

so, op, you would have impersonated reaper as soon as you entered public parties. except you're missing his impressive keyblade (forged from thousands of unclaimed closed beta keys) he got from chris wilson personally for his support :)

i'm glad that ggg eventually gives some attention to the original problem of players impersonating each other.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Shovelcut wrote:
"
Ennui wrote:
Well he lied to support and broke TOS saying I was going around and impersonating him like anyone even knew who he was lol.

How do you know what he told support? It's not like they play "he said, she said" with the players...

Also, "I've never heard of this guy so nobody knows him". Seems legit.

Not so sure you weren't impersonating him now. lol

Something fun I came across: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/39133

They told me what was told to them so yea I kinda do know...
"
vio wrote:
i think there is a old suggestion of mine, suggesting that creating an account using a certain name should :

- only possible if there is no charcter with this name yet
- automatically reserve the account name for a character

reason being, i also ran into these problems with not giving much attention to initially reserving a character name similar of my account name and had a guy naming his char "geradon" and impersonating me. nothing i could do to change that as it was my fault.

my solution was to change the account name.

---

so, op, you would have impersonated reaper as soon as you entered public parties. except you're missing his impressive keyblade (forged from thousands of unclaimed closed beta keys) he got from chris wilson personally for his support :)

i'm glad that ggg eventually gives some attention to the original problem of players impersonating each other.

Thats the thing I wasnt trying to impersonate him ever. I didnt even know he was a real person before all this tbh.
"

When was this ever said? Im not sure if you are all understanding the implications that this leads to. If any person comes and says there name is Pleiadesblackstar ggg just gets to name change your account/character just because someone said you tried to impersonate them without any evidence or truthful claim
"
Shovelcut wrote:
"
Ennui wrote:
The name I had was XvXReaperXvX It was on the Bounty list on the town board I decided to go and see if it was not a taken name and guess it what it wasn't taken so I took it. Fast forward a few months someone pm me and asks for that name saying it was "theirs" I tell them no I plan on using it. Fast Forward again I log into my account name changed and he has my name now. GGG then tells me they changed it because I had been "impersonating" that person even though I wasn't. I also havent even using the name yet and I was never impersonating anyone. Now because someone else claims that I was impersonating them they forced a name change on my character and gave it to him. There is no evidence of me trying to impersonate this other person or try to do anything that was like that. This person LIED and purposefully mislead support to SCAM me out of my name. I have an open support ticket if you would like to go look for the full log I can also post it if you want to see the whole transcript.

You managed to snag the name likely because XvXReaperXvX hadn't played in over a year so the name was freed up a while back. He was an important enough supporter to have his name placed on the noticeboard in game, and apparently he's important enough to have his name taken back.

I wouldn't be expecting to get it back if I were you. :)

And what is the issue with this? Wasnt this the EXACT reason they freed those names up?
"
Ennui wrote:
"

When was this ever said? Im not sure if you are all understanding the implications that this leads to. If any person comes and says there name is Pleiadesblackstar ggg just gets to name change your account/character just because someone said you tried to impersonate them without any evidence or truthful claim

Dunedain told you exactly why posting this here would literally change nothing, yet you replied back twice with the tag line of the subforum like it somehow helped.

Furthermore, I highly doubt GGG told you that somebody reported you to them in detail, they may have said something like "due to reports on your character name" but that would have been the extent of it. They just as easily could have a filter that searches account and character names for similar or identical names to big profile names to keep from being besmirching their identity, not that you were specifically going to do so. They could then run the filter occasionally and tell people they need to change the name it catches, simple as that.

Yeah using a name that is no longer taken (or was only an account name and never was taken character wise) isn't an issue in itself, but people taking big profile names or similar names could easily be doing so to cause a problem, and you may not have any intention to do so, but just imagine the shit storm if you scammed somebody down the line or something and post it on reddit "XvXReaperXvX just scammed me out of a mirror! WTF!?" and the ensuing witchhunt before Reaper themselves or GGG notes that they haven't even logged into the game in months or never had a character name the same as their account name and its a mistaken/stolen identity or some crap.

Again, you may not have any ill intentions behind using the name in any capacity, but it makes sense that any game company would keep higher profile names from surfacing on different accounts willy nilly and remove them preemptively before problems occur. I mean, I can't count the variations of Zezima I saw in Runescape when I played, particularly the number of people trying to scam using the name.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
Last edited by PleiadesBlackstar on Feb 14, 2017, 6:31:41 AM
"
"
Ennui wrote:
"

Dunedain told you exactly why posting this here would literally change nothing, yet you replied back twice with the tag line of the subforum like it somehow helped.

Furthermore, I highly doubt GGG told you that somebody reported you to them in detail, they may have said something like "due to reports on your character name" but that would have been the extent of it. They just as easily could have a filter that searches account and character names for similar or identical names to big profile names to keep from being besmirching their identity, not that you were specifically going to do so. They could then run the filter occasionally and tell people they need to change the name it catches, simple as that.

Yeah using a name that is no longer taken (or was only an account name and never was taken character wise) isn't an issue in itself, but people taking big profile names or similar names could easily be doing so to cause a problem, and you may not have any intention to do so, but just imagine the shit storm if you scammed somebody down the line or something and post it on reddit "XvXReaperXvX just scammed me out of a mirror! WTF!?" and the ensuing witchhunt before Reaper themselves or GGG notes that they haven't even logged into the game in months or never had a character name the same as their account name and its a mistaken/stolen identity or some crap.

Again, you may not have any ill intentions behind using the name in any capacity, but it makes sense that any game company would keep higher profile names from surfacing on different accounts willy nilly and remove them preemptively before problems occur. I mean, I can't count the variations of Zezima I saw in Runescape when I played, particularly the number of people trying to scam using the name.

if this answer was given I would've 100% probably been like that seems legit, but it wasnt they told some BS answer with no evidence to support it. Also I was very psyched that I got a name that was on the games bounty list no care who it was just that it was on there and they take it from me because someone lied and with no evidence they just were like "Thats seems legit". This is also a slippery slope that if they can do this whats next? Someone claims that you lied or cheated with no proof account banned?
"
Ennui wrote:

This is also a slippery slope that if they can do this whats next?

read their terms of services. you got no rights at all and don't own anything in the game even if you supported alot.

by creating this account you have to accept all their decisions without questioning, they can take your account away at will and don't even have to explain to you why. and usually don't accordig to posts of banned accounts here.

"
Ennui wrote:
Someone claims that you lied or cheated with no proof account banned?

if someone accuses you of scamming, cheating whatever ingame you have to consider they wrote support about it. support stated that they flag accounts on such occasions to have closer looks in the future and if complains amass there are consequences.

which implies, that if someone accuses you of something, you have to clear your name at ggg. or there will be consequences.

---

so if you like your account i would recommend accepting their decision of protecting one of their prime supporter's name.

edit: see above as a well meant recommendation rather than a threat.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Feb 14, 2017, 11:04:14 AM
You don't have to actively try to impersonate somebody to impersonate them. Just making a character with a name that would imply you are somebody more well known with that name is impersonating them, intentional or not. You saw the name ahead of time so you already knew it was known to others as somebody else, so it was hardly unintentional.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info