Developer Interview - Blake - Environment Artist

Always great to read and thanks a lot, Blake, for taking time to do the interview. So, what's your favourite board game and what changes did you make to the rules? :-)
"
ChannelMerge wrote:
Very interesting interview !

I was wondering, is there a link between being an environment artist for feature films and working at GGG ?

I am myself a senior env artist, and would be interested to know, just in case ;)

Cheers

Not sure.
If you use a 3D programme like Maya or 3DS Max there's probably a lot of similar skills. Poly count and texture size limits would probably be the main thing that might take some getting used to
"
filtre wrote:
Aqueducts and Daresso dream indeed looks best of all Act 4 (if we don't count lab as part of act 4).

Hey thanks!
I did quite a bit of work on the Lab as well, so you can totally count that
"
cryptc wrote:
I love the look of the aqueducts, well worth a year of work imho

Thanks cryptc!
I seriously had an art block with the Aqueducts for quite a while.
Because the thing with aqueducts in the real world is that they look really cool from a distance, with the awesome arches. But images I found from on top of aqueducts weren't all that interesting. They're pretty much just a really wide gutter that water flows down.
I actually ended up looking to old Dams for a lot of referance
"
Alysma wrote:
Always great to read and thanks a lot, Blake, for taking time to do the interview. So, what's your favourite board game and what changes did you make to the rules? :-)

Oh it was a game called Hero Quest. It was basically D&D Jr (only 6 sided dice). I pretty much turned it into even more of a D&D game, before I even knew what D&D was. I only found out last year that Hero Quest was set in the Warhammer universe. That blew my mind!

We also had this submarine game called Torpedo Run. Where you took turns firing little discs that represented torpedoes at model battle ships. It was barely even a game. I ended up turning it into basically a tactics war game.

I also made an original D&D style game after I played D&D once and didn't fully understand it. I also only had 6 sided dice. I draw a world map and everything. Thinking back I enjoyed drawing the world map more than playing the game.
Hope it would be nice but dont like the ideea of the 5th act :(

And yes i have played in your work and now that i know who was responsable for that, i thank you for that for your work.
And my impression when i have seen the aqueduct i have said in my mind "o.. O.. OOO... " :)
🅰🅻🅸🅽 ::: ! ♥ PoE ツ 👌 :::
Last edited by 4lin on Feb 14, 2017, 8:16:38 AM
graphics are fine. graphics are also boring as shit. if you knew a little about video game history you would know that graphics never ever make a classic and are the LEAST of your worries right now.

get the design guys on the phone instead, then we're talking. completely useless update like usual. tomorrow it's probably wilson's favourite cocktails or rhoa recipes for dummies or an interview with the cleaning lady.
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
Last edited by LMTR14 on Feb 14, 2017, 8:48:25 AM
"
snowglider wrote:

so what? it's act 5. nothing special about that "reveal". new monsters, new quest, new skill gems, new uniques. 20% more of the same concepts this game already uses since open beta. plus/minus some nerfs, buffs and screwing around with the engine to improve performance for some player and make it worse for other players. nothing whatsoever about that is exciting

you know what WOULD be exciting: new gameplay concepts! changes to the ever-revolving temp-permanent hype-and-boredom cycle with one league more uncreative than the previous one. a 1.0 RELEASE version that has a permanent mode worth to be played for years and years.

since there is a chance of a dev finally reading it: this game has a foundation of fantastic basic gameplay. running around and blowing up monsters is great! but that's all you can do in this game, and the fun stops at the standstill point where you can't progress against the xp penalty any more. MAKE THIS GAME EVERLASTING FUN with a permanent endgame mode that isn't purely grinding against a wall. strategy elements! a worldmap with conquerable zones! kingdom mode!

cause right now, this game's rightful place is indeed the xbox... not because of the controls (obviously) but because of the burn-through-it-til-you-get-bored-and-uninstall nature it has. PoE isn't supposed to be chess (same start and outcome every time). it's supposed to be civilisation
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
Last edited by LMTR14 on Feb 14, 2017, 10:04:54 AM
"
LMTR14 wrote:

so what? it's act 5. nothing special about that "reveal". new monsters, new quest, new skill gems, new uniques. 20% more of the same concepts this game already uses since open beta. plus/minus some nerfs, buffs and screwing around with the engine to improve performance for some player and make it worse for other players. nothing whatsoever about that is exciting

I can see why you are not impressed, but here's some hope: it's actually 25% more of all that (you got your calculations backwards, as we now have 20% less than we will have in 3.0). Now THAT's something to look forward to...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info