CPU temperature raising by over 40c

I'm using a laptop (Lenovo 700-15ISK 80RU specifically) and the CPU temperature (measured with Aida64) is shooting up (from idle) from 40c to ~85c, is this normal? This happens within a minute of opening the game.

I've changed all the settings around to minimum and it doesn't change anything, I've also tried Windowed vs Fullscreen, all 3 DirectX settings and turned off multithreading.

I know the game isn't GPU intensive but my GPU sits around 65c while the game is running (idles at 40c as well).

*EDIT*
I would like to add this is a new laptop (only a couple of months old) and I am fairly good with technology.
Last edited by Axodious on Feb 12, 2017, 7:40:06 PM
Last bumped on Feb 13, 2017, 6:26:28 PM
whats ur cpu usage in poe ? i cant realy help but max temp on ur i7-6700hq is 100°C. dont know whats normal but i read powerfull laptos are this hot ~80+°C. i can only compare things and an i7-6700k at stock 4.2ghz is with my cheap all in one watercooling corsair h115 @ 70°C (close to 100% load). so 80°C with ur 3.5ghz with a "bad" laptop cooling sounds ok

lowering all settings to minimum reduces only ur gpu load or it gets even worse
"
Dobermann83 wrote:
whats ur cpu usage in poe ? i cant realy help but max temp on ur i7-6700hq is 100°C. dont know whats normal but i read powerfull laptos are this hot ~80+°C. i can only compare things and an i7-6700k at stock 4.2ghz is with my cheap all in one watercooling corsair h115 @ 70°C (close to 100% load). so 80°C with ur 3.5ghz with a "bad" laptop cooling sounds ok

lowering all settings to minimum reduces only ur gpu load or it gets even worse

typically 90C would be the 'ideal' temp to never exceed. at least on desktops that is the rule.

however, laptops you dont have the same kind of flexibility so you just have to roll with what the manufacturer throws you. which is often not enough cooling. laptops capable of gaming often can get up to the 100C limit after a few minutes.

pretty much the only thing you can do is make sure you keep the vents clear of dust and debris. also, make sure you never sit the laptop on your "lap" as the name would suggest since clothes can block the vents. you always want to set it on a hard surface like a table or desk which will allow it good air flow.

then, beyond that there is the more technical..
if you really want to dig into your laptop you can buy some high grade thermal paste (Gelid GC-Extreme or Grizzly Kryonaut) and replace the cheap stuff the manufacturer uses. remember, the manufacturer uses tons of thermal paste on the assembly line for this stuff... you think they buy top shelf stuff? not a chance.

Thanks for the replies, I have one more thing to add. Poe is the only game I'm currently playing pushing the temperature this high. The others I've tested with are WoW, Hearthstone, Diablo 3 and Overwatch, they were all at least 8c lower.
"
Axodious wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I have one more thing to add. Poe is the only game I'm currently playing pushing the temperature this high. The others I've tested with are WoW, Hearthstone, Diablo 3 and Overwatch, they were all at least 8c lower.

software guys optimising games do some of the best paid jobs in the industry. not saying the amazing ggg crew has no talents, the recent improvements to performance were outstanding but you can't compare the capabilities of a multi billion $ company with the makers of a free to play game.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Just pointing it out in case there is something specific about this laptop setup.
Yes. Its pretty normal. You can go to chipset setup; there cpu works on max and u can read cpu temperature too.
90c is WAYYYYY too hot for most CPUS. Except for certain intel chips (which you dont really want going over 70c), you generally dont want to be going over 60C(50 on older chips). GPUS 90c is a more normal temp for.

You need to get some compressed air and blow your laptop out, its probably dirty. Even just a coupla months of operation is plenty of time to fully pack one of them full of dust/hair/etc.

Ideally what you should do is find out which model cpu you have, and look up its thermal limits. As long as you are within that range you are fine.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Feb 13, 2017, 5:39:30 PM
"
tramshed wrote:
90c is WAYYYYY too hot for most CPUS. Except for certain intel chips (which you dont really want going over 70c), you generally dont want to be going over 60C(50 on older chips). GPUS 90c is a more normal temp for.

You need to get some compressed air and blow your laptop out, its probably dirty. Even just a coupla months of operation is plenty of time to fully pack one of them full of dust/hair/etc.

Ideally what you should do is find out which model cpu you have, and look up its thermal limits. As long as you are within that range you are fine.

the OP posted their specific laptop model which has an intel processor. 85-90C is considered normal for a 100% under load intel in a desktop. especially if you overclock. in a laptop computer you have literally no options for cooling outside of what i mentioned above. which is (again)

-make sure the laptop is always on a hard surface for good airflow
-make sure the vents are clear of dust and debris

..and if you really wanted to do things technical then replacing the crappy thermal past the manufacturer uses with high grade thermal paste can actually help. though if the laptop is new someone shouldn't do this since most laptops come with around a 1yr default warranty from the manufacturer and opening it up voids everything.

speaking about AMD processors though since you are concerned about the 90C limit. if it were a AMD processor then you would want to see it running at no more than 80C at 100% load. since 90C is the listed maximum temp for AMD.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info