Remove xp loss on death, replace with xp bonuses for surviving

"
Fruz wrote:
"
LMTR14 wrote:
I literally quit because of the xp penalty. tired of wasting my time.

easy solution: let players bank their xp, but only by cutting the xp bar in half.

e.g. you voluntarily (!) bank 20 % xp -> becomes 10 % for that level that can't be lost anymore.

so stronger players can still level at their speed, but normal players don't play for nothing (which is the case right now - WE SPEND OR TIME CHASING PROGRESS THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN)

You could have tried to get better too.
Just saying ...

"
LMTR14 wrote:
and don't use the "no-life streamers reach level 100 in a week." that is not relevant whatsoever to the average player. those people are boosted by partying, account sharing, insider information (act 5 will have a beta again, btw...) gifts from subscribers and in certain cases also certainly real-money trading!!! all of which has nothing to do with the average player (except for partying, which I still refuse to do as it dilutes the actual difficulty of the game - you morons complaining how the game becomes "casual" have NEVER played it ssf...)

And now the rant @StreamersUseUnfairWays.
*sigh*

.... git gud, stop blaming others and start blaming yourself, if you don't want to do the effort of dying less or getting better at the game .... the game will remind you that you are doing something wrong, and that's a good thing.

"
Ceri wrote:
It's an obsolete sentiment from the good old days, disagree however much you want but it's pretty much fact.

You calling something a fact ... does not just make it a fact.
It's a quite obvious design to get players out of their comfort zone and put incentive to not dying, and that is very important.

Now the risk/reward ratio of high maps is pretty much another debate.

"
Ceri wrote:
One single death post-95 in softcore and you've basically lost the race if it's competitive enough.

Calling BS on this.
Have you every actually followed what was going on with the ladder ?
This league etup ripped at level 93, and then rushed and almost hit #1.
Couple of leagues ago ( which one I dont remember ), Ziz ripped like 2 or three times post 90 .... and he was the first to hit level 100.
HC of course.

The game should remind you that you're doing something wrong in a better way, but at the moment you have the beautiful mechanics revolving around "Pop the Weasel one shots"...

They have better options that should be explored, especially when they can't even manage 1.3.0 level of performance with a goddamn Lightning Strike + Multistrike + Faster Attacks at 10 APS post 2.4, not to mention the 2.5.2 situation that also messed the in game V-Sync rendering it useless...

If the game was finished, and all their work implied solely revamping metas and tuning balance, we could have even 100% EXP penalty per death as Softcore as long as we had enemies that have our level and we get no additional EXP penalty due to overleveling content.

Unfortunately, they have to improve the experience, as the game doesn't feel rewarding enough if you pursue to finish a character by hitting the goddamn 100 level mark, and you're discouraged to do so while playing the end game. That's the worse design I saw in an ARPG for a long time, it's actually one of the worst choice made in a game (and I started playing PC games 20 years ago, so I know a lot of bad decisions that eventually buried the games)...

PoE started as a "hardcore" experience that got catered so much until we play a very different game now in contrast to the original content, and that is obvious for all. They changed direction in such a way, the game became a "casual" experience that focused on "killing pinatas while watching TV". They messed up the balance up to a such point they have no other option except the "Pop the Weasel one shots" that are unjust towards the players time, placing an artificial wall via content and penalties upon other penalties, and if they keep doing so, they will lose the players as they are losing the "fun" by also adding RNG layers upon a ton of other RNG layers, while going with arbitrary "legacy" items that are here because...

GGG has to explore alternate views as the game is in a such a sad state, that they have to step up with 2.6/3.0 to render it to the top of the best ARPGs of all time (PoE became an afterthought unfortunately due to it's problems)...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Feb 12, 2017, 2:26:05 AM
Wow, that escalated quickly into a big rant of a little bit of everything that you don't like in the game atm I see.

And stop exagerating with "Pop the Weasel one shots" ffs.
How do HC players reach level 100 ?
Or even level 90+ ?
How come HC players have killed shaper, meaning they tackled the most difficult content without dying ?
It's amazing how that sounds impossible with all of that "the game is a one shot fest duh!" going on in the forums, right ?
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Fruz wrote:
Wow, that escalated quickly into a big rant of a little bit of everything that you don't like in the game atm I see.

Or even level 90+ ?
How come HC players have killed shaper, meaning they tackled the most difficult content without dying ?
It's amazing how that sounds impossible with all of that "the game is a one shot fest duh!" going on in the forums, right ?

You didn't get the memo that the longer the diatribe, the less time has actually been spent playing in endgame content? This forum sometimes...
U MAD?
"
Fruz wrote:

Or even level 90+ ?

Well how many do so by always playing only end game - Guardians, Shaper and Uber Atziri at the moment seems the consensus - when leveling post 90 on Hardcore? And these are actually the most mechanical fights of the game, with enough practice, you should die to them only due to a connection problem...

How many of them never abused the skills/mechanics/items or interactions to achieve that?

The game is a festival of one shots if you're targeting good enough builds with all the rolled map mods - a Softcore advantage/disadvantage depending on your point of view - if you go Hardcore you don't have the same luxury and you stop playing maps with crazy rolls as you know that sooner or later you will die - except if you are a godlike player, hell with great reflexes + build and 0 technical problems you should be able to do all content ES CI.

Those "Pop the Weasel one shots" are in game to offer a way of reliably killing up to medium players, that didn't went bonkers on EHP + survivability and use the broken stuff to scale damage...

I lastly died do a dual Abaxoth combo due to 0 FPS so that I called legit, but before, on my way to 100% until 97 the other 2 deaths were Volatiles Devourers and that is even with using Lightning Strike from distance to mainly deal with those...

Great balance indeed...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Feb 12, 2017, 4:32:48 AM
Beating shaper means that you have to climg the map tiers until the very top.
And that means that you need well-enough rolled maps, of up to the highest level.

Funny how Shaper got beaten the first time in HC with a life build, and he still survived, isn't it ?

Volatiles need to change, that I agree with, I have yet to meet a volatile that can one shot my character though, the one I'm playing currently.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Feb 12, 2017, 3:31:46 AM
Hello,

Excuse me for my bad english, I'm french...

I'm agree with this post and I'm not alone.

I'm a old player, (39 years old) and I have begin at the beginig of Diablo I.

Poe is my favorit game since the beginig.

But now, my father have stoped to play, my friends would stop to play and me I'm thincking, stop to play because I can't progress.
I'm lvl 87. I have finished merciless mod.
I played in Atlas map and I don't loot a map for the next step. I'm blocked between tier 8 and 11. For exemple I don't loot or I can't bought a "Bog map" tier 8 ???
When I play, I gain a bit of XP with the master mission day and after I loose all my XP. It's so bad ! Generaly during the walk in the map it's easy, and at the moment I'm dead in one shot and I don't saw why I'm dead ! I hate that !

And I have loose XP and map because lag or disconnect !

I think they have two problems :
- loose XP is too hard, 5% is ok but 10% not.
- when you kill the boss of a map, you must loot, all the time, one map, +1 or -1 tier of the map where you played.

I played 3 or 4 hours/days and I don't loot a good item, I don't gain XP and I don't gain a next map for continue atlas... Why I continu to play ???
Last edited by The_Crabe on Feb 15, 2017, 2:48:14 PM
^
If you would show your character, people could maybe help you fix what's wrong with it ( since you are saying that you get randomly one shot by stuff you don't know ).
Maybe you are lacking a bit of knowledge of the content too.
Some things should definitely be explained in the game better imho, I would agree with that.

Also you need to know the map & Atlas system well enough to progress through it comfortably.
You need to run Cemetery / Barrows / Castle ruin to drop bog, get a bit of Qty and pack size modifiers on those and it should be quick to get it.
Zana also sells bog maps from level 6 or 7.

You could also trade with other players, that's the easy way to do it.

Last edited by Fruz on Feb 12, 2017, 5:43:37 AM
I'd be ok with a "casual" non-ladder league, where there is no penalty, 5x or 10x XP progression, good loot everywhere, free ascendancy points, halved master crafting prices and everything else you can imagine... but don't try to fk up the last vestiges of "hardcoreness" PoE still has.

Removing the penalty would make the game even more boring. It would remove the tension at high levels. If there was just a bonus for surviving, you would care much less about dying and zerg the content each time you'd rip - since you cant loose anything more than what you had just lost.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Feb 12, 2017, 5:57:58 AM
"
morbo wrote:
I'd be ok with a "casual" non-ladder league, where there is no penalty, 5x or 10x XP progression, good loot everywhere, free ascendancy points, halved master crafting prices and everything else you can imagine... but don't try to fk up the last vestiges of "hardcoreness" PoE still has.

But you know that most people would probably go there ..... making other leagues basically empty ..... fucking up the economy and the game eventually, right ?
And then people would get bored because they would be no more chase, etc ...
Last edited by Fruz on Feb 12, 2017, 6:34:21 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
But you know that most people would probably go there ..... making other leagues basically empty ..... fucking up the economy and the game eventually, right ?
And then people would get bored because they would be no more chase, etc ...

It would need to be isolated from everything else. Like one of those "rings" (or whatever the english term is), that you put toddlers in so that they dont harm themselves. Also no ladders of any kind, because casual is not competitive. + other nerfs (eg. level cap at 90).

It would work, if GGG would make the casual league unappealing to the average non-casual players like us.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info