Remove xp loss on death, replace with xp bonuses for surviving

Resurrect in Town - No XP Loss
Resurrect at Last Checkpoint - 5% XP Loss
Resurrect at Player's Portal - 10% XP Loss
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
"
Crackmonster wrote:
"
Fruz wrote:

That abscence of middle ground after is ridiculous for obvious reasons too.
If PoE was only "my little poney style" or straigth hardcore, there would probably be far less people playing.

Actually you are right - there are also those who love to self-inflict punishment upon themselves, they also love the penalty. Forgot them, thanks.

I just bolded the part that you just proved, thank you for that.

Extremists are ..... in some subjects, the plague of this world.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Feb 15, 2017, 9:41:01 AM
Just dance with me baby, no need for all your hate.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
Tempada wrote:

It's not wrong. I'd love for GGG to reign in player damage so glass canon isn't always the most effective way to level through the main game and tackle bosses. The general idea, whether it's implemented through penalties or rewards, is that you make the most efficient leveling progress by surviving.
glass cannon already have their lesser penalty( trap damage) advantages in Labyrinth traps...... thats not enough?

I still feel labyrinth traps should be flat dot.
Hey there,
Just passing through due to the announcement of the next six acts.

The experience penalty is what drove me away from the game. The issue with it isn't really that there's a penalty, it's that the chosen penalty is completely outdated.

1)During low and mid-levels, it has no effect at all, and doesn't help you notice any issue with your build. Many players simply force their way through bosses they have trouble with, instead of learning from their mistakes.
2)Then, at the start of merciless, it starts having effect, discouraging players that have hit a wall, but helping those that manage to correct their builds.
3)The penalty then steadily grows, and becomes very heavy. This is fine for top-players, who get to have healthy competition on the top steps of the ladder, but hits very hard players that don't have the same dedication, robbing them of amounts of time that quickly get unreasonable.

The negative effects of step 3 are very visible:
+Flavor of the month builds. => The double-penalty (gain experience/loot more slowly, and lose more time on death) of playing a sub-optimal build pushes players towards pre-made builds that abuse whatever broken mechanics have gotten through quality control.
+Rage-quits. => If you look at softcore ladders, you'll see many pages of characters that have 0% experience towards the next level. These are clearly players that have dropped their character, or maybe even, like me, the game, after having lost a too high amount of experience, i.e. time investment in a character.
+Avoidance of game content. => Many players skip a lot of game content, in order to avoid even the smallest amount of risk there is. Driving players away from content is the epitome of bad game design, and is something any decent game designer should be trying to correct.

When the expansion comes, I'll probably step in, complete acts 5 to 10, get the few extra bonuses, then leave again if there hasn't been a decent change in the experience penalty (I honestly don't expect there to be one).
@MrTremere

The penalty is there to get harder as you learn more and more and build a stronger and stronger character. The penalty isn't outdated, whats outdated is thinking that a system needs to be overly complicated when it serves its purpose right now.

People discussing this just crack me up. Softcore is intended to be played the same way HC players do, you are suppose to avoid death, the only difference is suppose to be no loss of character, which means when you get geared up and push higher and higher content and get higher and higher level character it should hurt more and more to die.

But nope gotta make this game hello kitty level easy in every aspect. Loot acquisition, power acquisition and now apparently the removal of a penalty for dying. This is the sort of game that PoE has turned into, what a fucking joke.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:
Softcore is intended to be played the same way HC players do, you are suppose to avoid death, the only difference is suppose to be no loss of character, which means when you get geared up and push higher and higher content and get higher and higher level character it should hurt more and more to die.

Says who? Don't tell me how to play my games, please.

Even if Chris himself showed up at my doorstep claiming the same thing, I'd disagree. Not interested in flogging myself, nope. It's fine you and others are, though. However, since I dare claim that not a single one of the nay-sayers ever play Standard, your opinion is like, just like, not that.. relevant.
Wow... What's up with Chris' condescending attitude here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a11NfvfTDUI&feature=youtu.be&t=9m12s

Of course HC players have it worse for death penalties (it's what they sign up for!), but that doesn't mean the xp penalty without any additional punishment is a generous gift to all other players.

I also created this Reddit thread, which did not go over well, probably because I used the words "accessible" and "mansplains" (the latter was used sardonically to call Chris out on condescending to a large segment of the community).
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Last edited by Tempada on Feb 16, 2017, 1:50:37 PM
"
goetzjam wrote:
(...)

I didn't really expect anything else than this kind of condescending attitude.

"
Tempada wrote:
(...)

Chris Wilson is missing that the Hardcore penalty is entirely optional, while the Softcore one isn't.
It's an entirely different experience getting applied a very harsh penalty that you chose to risk compared to experiencing a very harsh penalty that was imposed upon you without you ever agreeing to it (and to the smart-asses that say that we agree to play the game, I'll say a very clear "Fuck you").
You don't hear me complaining about hardcore penalty, despite losing multiple characters to it, because I specifically chose to play with that risk in mind.

Chris doesn't understand the grievances of Softcore players, because he sees the game experience only from the Hardcore player's point of view.
"
Ceri wrote:
"
goetzjam wrote:
Softcore is intended to be played the same way HC players do, you are suppose to avoid death, the only difference is suppose to be no loss of character, which means when you get geared up and push higher and higher content and get higher and higher level character it should hurt more and more to die.

Says who? Don't tell me how to play my games, please.

Even if Chris himself showed up at my doorstep claiming the same thing, I'd disagree. Not interested in flogging myself, nope. It's fine you and others are, though. However, since I dare claim that not a single one of the nay-sayers ever play Standard, your opinion is like, just like, not that.. relevant.

Its not your game anymore then its my game. The design of the game is one thing, you accept it or don't but according to previous statements and indications by devs they want people to play the game in a similar fashion, ESPECIALLY now that the leagues are designed to be the same.

You can disagree if you'd like, but if the intention from the devs is for you not to play like an idiot and to avoid death, then its only logical that you you know try to avoid death or pay the penalty.

"
Chris Wilson is missing that the Hardcore penalty is entirely optional, while the Softcore one isn't.

Except it is, if you don't die you avoid the penalty, imagine that....

All of you guys crying about a hello fucking kitty game where you are too casual to play a game that was CLEARLY designed for a different set of players then we see today. If only they held true to their design, whinny and useless complaints like this one wouldn't be an issue, but now that the game attracts d3 players, FUCKING ROFL, its gotta be just like those other causal games where you lose nothing and just zerg content.

"
You don't hear me complaining about hardcore penalty, despite losing multiple characters to it, because I specifically chose to play with that risk in mind.

You know the penalty for death in softcore league as well, you "inherently" accept it when you decide to play the game.

"
Chris doesn't understand the grievances of Softcore players, because he sees the game experience only from the Hardcore player's point of view.

Maybe, just maybe because that is how the game was fucking designed? Imagine that, how do you think a player like me feels when people like you and casual players cry about drop rates until we have perandus level or higher gear acquisition, how do you think people like me feel about diviners boxes that play by no rules, because again casual players cry about not having access to all items. How do you think anyone that has played this game for any amount of time and seen time after time how the game has lost bits and pieces that make the game special. Now players like you are asking to remove yet another aspect that was put in place so that people played the game in similar fashion, without the penalty the cost for death is basically meanless, without it scaling harder and harder against you, you aren't encouraged to avoid mistakes or better gear\prepare for the challenge. Hardcore players learn this mistake after one death and see how long they can go after learning, but softcore players seem to think death = just a penalty and that it shouldn't be a learning or eye opening process.

I suppose the question would be if they change or remove this, why not just go full casual mode activated and add the click to buy systems people want so badly, I mean they've already backed out on so many of the original design ideas and a more hardcore natured game, we might as well go full fucking casual at this point. At least that way I can fully justify my pissed off stance, not only at GGG, but players like you that have shaped this game, not to be better in the long term, but so you can enjoy a short high.

Tell you what, we both can get what we want if they do custom leagues, they can alternate (or start a month after) the regular leagues do, you can get your hello kitty poe and I can get my balanced drop rate sort of game, but that of course creates issues on its own, so it won't ever happen.

Most of you guys are complaining about 90+ or 94-95 +, those last skill points aren't necessary for any build I've seen in ages, not only due to power creep, but the expectation is you aren't suppose to get those without large grinds and little to no mistakes. Of course your entitled to hit level 100 because you know you play a lot and thats max level, people dind't hit level 99 in d2 very often and if you did, you GRINDED.

https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
Last edited by goetzjam on Feb 16, 2017, 2:13:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info