PoE desperately needs an option to turn down spell effects

I love this game and I love the developers, but when I saw a GGG staff member post on this issue saying that it's not one of their top priorities, I'm simply dumbfounded. The number of people plagued by frame rate issues caused by spell effects is rather large. Not everyone has this issue, but from what I've seen reading the forums, most of us who don't have $1,500 computers desire this more than anything else.

Desync sucks, but I can live with it. The framerate issue I can NOT live with. It makes the game utterly unenjoyable. My PC is more than capable of running the game. I get 60 fps in solo combat, even when using certain spells. But when I drop a couple fire traps then start using Lightning Strike with LMP, that 60 fps suddenly turns into 20. It's really depressing thinking about the amount of time and effort I put into perfecting my Shadow character. I probably spent at least 30 hours staring at the passives tree and other 30 pondering my skill/support gem combinations and figuring out how I wanted to work them into my gear. But as it stands, I can't use Lightning Strike with LMP and Fire Trap. I have to pick one or the other. It's a shame Lightning Strike is worthless without LMP/GMP.

It just boggles my mind that this isn't a higher priority issue for you guys. So many people are demanding this and it seems like a relatively easy feature to implement. Just give us an option to make spell effects look crappy, and I will literally jump for joy knowing I can start enjoying the game again. This is the sole reason I am currently holding off on donations and microtransactions, as much as I love this game and want to support it. But if this doesn't get fixed soon, I won't be playing... which makes me sad. This is the best ARPG of all time in my opinion, and not being able to play it because of the reluctance on the part of the developers to implement a feature the community has been clamoring for is just a shame.
IGN: EmpathicAmoeba
Sounds like your system ISN'T more than capable of running it m8.

System specs?
"
Hopesfall wrote:
Sounds like your system ISN'T more than capable of running it m8.

System specs?

It will be when they add an option to lower spell effects. If I play the game as a ground slam marauder I never drop below 60, except for areas with a lot of spell casting mobs. But that's not the playstyle I enjoy. I want to be able to fire trap and lightning strike again.
Case in point m8. Sad to say this, but the game is fairly optimized. It's not going to improve much more than this, and SLIDERS or OPTIONS for every single detail in game for GRAPHICS is a long way off.

$50.US for a 460GTX 1g.... That would run the game incredibly well. Might as well get two of them at that cheap price and SLI them.

I have no clue what you're using, and you stated $1,500 for a build... O.o That's way over the top. This game can run on Budget machines.

So either you're on a dinosaur, a crappy laptop, or something's broken in your machine.

Good Luck.

P.S You never posted any specs for your machine. Let's see them, and maybe I can help; possibly without any $$$ out of your pocket.
Last edited by Hopesfall on Feb 23, 2013, 6:32:16 AM
I run 6gb ram, geforce GT 540M, i7 processor. It is a laptop, but far and above what path of exile is needed to run. But you mix lightning arrow, lmp, and chain together, and my frame rates drop. Not to mention i can just about smell my gpu starting to melt.

Obvious answer is to simply not run those 3 things together, but it is an extremely strong mix, especially when life on hit is added in. Me personally, I wouldn't care if the lightning effect could have an option to be removed completely. Would effect me very little. Much rather be able to run the best possible skills and not fry my computer then see some pretty lightning that swamps my screen.
ign - mayple
"
Hopesfall wrote:
Case in point m8. Sad to say this, but the game is fairly optimized. It's not going to improve much more than this, and SLIDERS or OPTIONS for every single detail in game for GRAPHICS is a long way off.

$50.US for a 460GTX 1g.... That would run the game incredibly well. Might as well get two of them at that cheap price and SLI them.

I have no clue what you're using, and you stated $1,500 for a build... O.o That's way over the top. This game can run on Budget machines.

So either you're on a dinosaur, a crappy laptop, or something's broken in your machine.

Good Luck.

P.S You never posted any specs for your machine. Let's see them, and maybe I can help; possibly without any $$$ out of your pocket.

AMD Athlon 64 dual core 6000+ 3ghz
GeForce GTS 250 1GB
2GB RAM

The biggest problem is my RAM, but 2GB is the maximum that my motherboard can use unfortunately. I'll be buying a new PC when I can, but that's probably a ways down the road with the massive espenses I have at the moment ($30,000 hospital bills are not fun).

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard for them to add an option to the game that makes spell effects look like crap. Most games have an option similar to this.

"
mayplesyrup wrote:
I run 6gb ram, geforce GT 540M, i7 processor. It is a laptop, but far and above what path of exile is needed to run. But you mix lightning arrow, lmp, and chain together, and my frame rates drop. Not to mention i can just about smell my gpu starting to melt.

Obvious answer is to simply not run those 3 things together, but it is an extremely strong mix, especially when life on hit is added in. Me personally, I wouldn't care if the lightning effect could have an option to be removed completely. Would effect me very little. Much rather be able to run the best possible skills and not fry my computer then see some pretty lightning that swamps my screen.

This is exactly where I'm coming from. I use Lightning Strike with LMP or Chain, and combined with life on hit and life leech it's very powerful. I also use fire traps, and combining these two spells wrecks my frame rate. I don't need my lightning to look that good. I just don't. I prefer to have the game run smooth. I've put a lot of thought and consideration into choosing a different skill, but nothing else works with my build. Sometimes I gimp myself and don't even use fire traps if there are like 30 spell casting mobs on the screen, which is unfortunate since fire trap makes up about 75% of my damage.
Last edited by DavosTheOnionKnight on Feb 23, 2013, 10:06:04 PM
Hmmm, well a 250 isn't MORE than Capable, and a Dual core is ancient technology. You've confirmed my suspicions.

I understand you wish to play the game, but developers have to cater to the masses, not the minorities.

Also they are not designing the game like World Of Warcraft, with crappy Cartoonie graphics, horrible shaders, and shadows etc.

I'm sure someday we will see the lighting feature you wish, I can see why you'd want to play this game smoothly. It's great fun, but you can't really blame them. It's in all honesty, and reality your doings.

Once again sorry m8. Wish you good luck!
Have you tried using ReadyBoost to get some additional memory? Turns a USB drive into RAM. Might wanna google that, could help you out.

However contrary to what the guy above is stating, tons of people have fps problems in this game with very current computers, so I wouldn't expect a miracle.
IGN - RNGiraffe
My specs:
Pentium G850
Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB
HD7770
8GB DDR3
OCZ CoreXStream 500W

This is nowhere high-end stuff, but I still manage to run EVERY other game the way it offers me a quality and SMOOTH gameplay. I even managed to run Diablo 3 without infamous stuttering. However, PoE seems totally unplayable for me. I'm supposed to farm maps with my leveled Shadow right now, but it's impossible. Not if I enter the map and get massive stutter when I go inside and meet just FEW mobs. I don't even need to spam my spells there, often it's just a matter of fighting a very little number of monsters. Also, playing in party is impossible. The fact that I'm in party itself is a cause of another huge stutter-fest. That being said, I decided to give this game up until you fix it.
IGN: Razorangel
I have an Intel i5, 8gb ram and a gtx 670.

My framerate drops to like 5 when a group of people are all using their abilities(especially lightning arrow).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info