Latency spiking, what else might cause it than connection?

What is new and why I doubt it's connection related is up here:

I took my computer to friends home during LAN party and it appeared exactly same there, which makes me doubtful that it's anything related to my connection.

Anyway, the support forum is quite a mess and I didnt really find anything related from common problems. I was wondering what else might cause latency spikes in this game if it's not connection related - or is there a thread where the matter is more approached from that direction? Usually googling or looking up this kind of thing ends up to winMTR suggestions etc.

The original post. I thought it's connection related by then. I copy the post I wrote down up here:

"

Hi.

Problem in short: latency / de-sync problems, also disconnections last time a week ago.

I started playing two weeks ago or so.

I have problem with latency spiking / game not showing what is really happening. Most of time my latency is smaller than 50ms, but occasionally rockets even above 2000ms. Sometimes, it seems to behave like there would be latency spike, but it does not appear up on the line that draws the latency. Frame time is usually around 5 second. FPS is between 150-300 depending on situation. Spikes occur between 3-10 seconds repeatively. No matter is it crowded time for servers or not.

I have died numerous times when playing to act 2 cruel, 95% of deaths being easily because of this problem. Since I experience softcore rather pointless and only way i can play the game is huge enough aoe (split arrow). This game stands next to unplayable in hardcore. Me and monsters get randomly relocated, i get damage without projectiles, they suddenly sum up etc.

My connection is ethernet. cmd:ping google.com is always less than 30ms. No problems mostly in other use than poe (browsing, playing fps games etc.). Antivirus is Avast which runs Secureline VPN if desired. I also use Windows firewall. In case it matters something, Rainbow Six Siege is showing my NAT on PS4 as open. However, Diablo 3 (PS4) has had some minor spike happening once in 30min or so (but it has not been anything like this that happens in PoE - Also, to clarify, I have played D3 just twice in last month so it might have been temporary).

I have tried so far:
Different servers
Predictive gameplay from options
Changed ethernet cable, booting and reseting router
Couple of years ago ISP changed cables inside apartment walls
I didn't notice anything wrong in my firewall
Turning off Avast's protection
Trying Leatrix Latency Fix someone brough up in forum
Different VPN locations

Router:
Turned on bridge, disabled upn and dmz.

Steam commands I have tried (on or off, these didn't change anything):
--nosound
--softwareaudio
--noasync
--nopreload

From Troubleshooting thread:
Step 3: Verify PC behaviour
Netstat: 17 lines of text that consist of 3 types that look fairly similar.

MTR Results with no VPN and VPN with 2 different locations:
http://pastebin.com/WppPGPym

What I havent done yet is changed my router because i dont have secondary one but I find that solution unlikely. What else I can try?

Last edited by DogMeat6414 on Apr 4, 2017, 1:04:40 PM
Last bumped on Apr 4, 2017, 12:51:08 PM
So, eh. Any ideas or is more info needed?

Now that I have played a bit more further monsters are a bit more powerful and when I get suddenly damage and drink the potions, the game doesn't have even time to register it before I die. Propably uninstalling this unless it gets somehow solved or netcode is made better or something.

I think I'm being pretty much done with my part as consumer for trying to fix this only single game that does not work properly.
Last edited by DogMeat6414 on Feb 11, 2017, 5:01:50 AM
I've been having this problem recently as well. Huge latency spikes and straight up freezes, where the latency graph stays constant but the game freezes.

GGG plz
"
DogMeat6414 wrote:
Hi.

Problem in short: latency / de-sync problems, also disconnections last time a week ago.

Spoiler
I started playing two weeks ago or so.

I have problem with latency spiking / game not showing what is really happening. Most of time my latency is smaller than 50ms, but occasionally rockets even above 2000ms. Sometimes, it seems to behave like there would be latency spike, but it does not appear up on the line that draws the latency. Frame time is usually around 5 second. FPS is between 150-300 depending on situation. Spikes occur between 3-10 seconds repeatively. No matter is it crowded time for servers or not.

I have died numerous times when playing to act 2 cruel, 95% of deaths being easily because of this problem. Since I experience softcore rather pointless and only way i can play the game is huge enough aoe (split arrow). This game stands next to unplayable in hardcore. Me and monsters get randomly relocated, i get damage without projectiles, they suddenly sum up etc.

My connection is ethernet. cmd:ping google.com is always less than 30ms. No problems mostly in other use than poe (browsing, playing fps games etc.). Antivirus is Avast which runs Secureline VPN if desired. I also use Windows firewall. In case it matters something, Rainbow Six Siege is showing my NAT on PS4 as open. However, Diablo 3 (PS4) has had some minor spike happening once in 30min or so (but it has not been anything like this that happens in PoE - Also, to clarify, I have played D3 just twice in last month so it might have been temporary).

I have tried so far:
Different servers
Predictive gameplay from options
Turning off Avast's protection
Trying Leatrix Latency Fix someone brough up in forum
Different VPN locations

Router:
Turned on bridge, disabled upn and dmz.

Steam commands I have tried (on or off, these didn't change anything):
--nosound
--softwareaudio
--noasync
--nopreload

From Troubleshooting thread:
Step 3: Verify PC behaviour
Netstat: 17 lines of text that consist of 3 types that look fairly similar.

MTR Results with no VPN and VPN with 2 different locations:
http://pastebin.com/WppPGPym

What I havent done yet is changed my router because i dont have secondary one but I find that solution unlikely. What else I can try?

are these MTR done 'while' the issue is occuring? it is important that you are doing the MTR while you are lagging in game for accurate results.

the MTR without VPN seems to indicate that nothing is wrong, other than a possible minor spike at the bottom. there is no packet loss though. just a slightly elevated latency in that one spot.

"

-firewall: just my opinion here, but even though there is an official post about which ports to forward... it usually isnt even necessary. although, what has been said about this is that if some of these ports are blocked or something else (by firewall like the windows one, or sometimes a antivirus web protection) then it can cause a lot of lag and disconnections.

here is the official post:
Spoiler
"
Henry_GGG wrote:
"
maxibo wrote:
Hello, quick question and I hope someone knows the answer :).

Having some problems to connect to the game and I wonder which ports that PoE uses and which one of them that are TCP and UCP (or both).

All TCP:
and the range 32768 - 61000

-something you might check since you have looked into a lot of other stuff is your actual modem signal (assuming you have your own modem). the typical address for that is 192.168.100.1, though some modems may be different and you can just google it. if your signals are off they can actually cause you to lose download/upload speed, lag, and if they are really bad then you can get random modem resets.

Spoiler
to make things easy you need to really only look at 2 numbers:
Downstream Power Level | -15 to 15
this should actually be as close to 0 as possible for best signal and reliability. especially since most networks tend to experience kind of an up and down swing in their power levels. typically not really large swings, but if you are sitting right on the edge near say -15 and it swings even more negative... well you just lost internet. if it were at 0 though and swings a bit negative no big deal.

Upstream Power Level | 45 to 55
like the other number just keep it sorta in the middle-ish so you got a little wiggle room and things are good. if this number drops below down to around the high 30s to around 40 you may experience packet loss. over 55 and you may not even get a connection since the power level is to high for the modem.

"
What I havent done yet is changed my router because i dont have secondary one but I find that solution unlikely.

well, as i was pointing out above with the modem thing. if you own your own modem you can check your signal levels on it. another thing you can do is bypass the router entirely. just plug the computer right into the modem. which if you stop seeing problems after doing this then its time to get a new router.
Thanks for answer and guidance.

1) MTR tests are done while being in server during the issue - so, yeah. Seems packet loss is not the problem
2) I opened ports, but it didn't help anything
3) Unfortunately, I cant bypass as the cable that comes from wall is not ethernet. Anyway, this is a new thing for me so I could need a little bit of help with analyzing the down- and upstream values. Downstream supposed to be close to 0? Does it mean that 11,9-13.9 values are quite bad?

Here are the results:
http://pastebin.com/MMDdMNQV
"
DogMeat6414 wrote:
Thanks for answer and guidance.

1) MTR tests are done while being in server during the issue - so, yeah. Seems packet loss is not the problem
2) I opened ports, but it didn't help anything
3) Unfortunately, I cant bypass as the cable that comes from wall is not ethernet. Anyway, this is a new thing for me so I could need a little bit of help with analyzing the down- and upstream values. Downstream supposed to be close to 0? Does it mean that 11,9-13.9 values are quite bad?

Here are the results:
http://pastebin.com/MMDdMNQV

actually your upstream looks bad according to the pastebin result. the downstream is high but within tolerance to allow you to connect properly.

the best way to correct this is call the ISP and let them know you are having problems with your interent. which usually they will be able to come out see it is not right and adjust the signal.

if you have access to your modem though and don't feel like calling your ISP then the solution is pretty simple. to fix your signal levels you just attach a 5mhz-1000mhz cable tv splitter to right before your modem. thats it.

for your specific signal levels if you see on the splitter a number marked something like 7db and another marked 3db.. use the 7db.

"
M0rO wrote:

actually your upstream looks bad according to the pastebin result. the downstream is high but within tolerance to allow you to connect properly.

the best way to correct this is call the ISP and let them know you are having problems with your interent. which usually they will be able to come out see it is not right and adjust the signal.

if you have access to your modem though and don't feel like calling your ISP then the solution is pretty simple. to fix your signal levels you just attach a 5mhz-1000mhz cable tv splitter to right before your modem. thats it.

for your specific signal levels if you see on the splitter a number marked something like 7db and another marked 3db.. use the 7db.

Some news again

Upstream: I called my ISP and they said it's fine. I also studied this thing a bit and it seems upstream values should be a bit different depending on devices or ISP? The ISP found nothing to fix at their side by phonecall.

My splitter: I got one replaced from ISP. It reads following: Data: 5-65 MHz -0,5dB and 118-1000MHz -4dB. I think it should be it?
EDIT: Got new splitter, which is normal 5-1000mhz. Removed TV from it and the upstream is now averagely about 40. However, the problem continues.

I dont really fancy to call a cable guy to check the cables in my block of flats cause it costs quite a bit in case it's a false alarm for them. However, after trying now several different splitters as well, I suppose I have to make the call and take the risk even this is pretty much only game that does not work - or at least I dont see problems well enough in other games.
Last edited by DogMeat6414 on Feb 22, 2017, 9:53:45 AM
The problem is still there.

I took my computer to friends home during LAN party and it appeared exactly same there, which makes me doubtful that it's anything related to my connection.

Anyway, the support forum is quite a mess and I didnt really find anything related from common problems. I was wondering what else might cause latency spikes in this game if it's not connection related - or is there a thread where the matter is more approached from that direction? Usually googling or looking up this kind of thing ends up to winMTR suggestions etc.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info