Is my build crap?

"
EdeaLee wrote:
Are rare enemies suppose to be push overs? I have some direction, I invest lots of points into daggers and have lots of evasion. Lots of max health so I don't get one shoted etc.

No. You don't.

A typical build creation guide would recommend pushing 150% increased max life on tree and looking for flat life on gear every single step of the way while leveling. It would also tell you that evasion and any other form of damage mitigation outside of a massive life pool and resistances capped is pretty much irrelevant until maps. etc. etc.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
"
EdeaLee wrote:
I should probably clarify, there's a lot of gems in those armor pieces I don't use all that much. I mostly use bladefall to shred mobs and use duel daggers for single targets while having blade vortex go around my character

You don't have any spell related nodes on your daggers besides global crit though. It needs to say added damage to spells and % spell damage to have any relevance to your damage. Crit is also pretty worthless until you are at end game and are pushing higher consistent 70+ crit chance on top of your base damage being decent. You can't just stack crit and expect to 1 shot everything.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
Last edited by PleiadesBlackstar on Feb 8, 2017, 8:29:32 PM
Gotcha. So what should a passive tree look like if you want to mostly invest in evasion and duel wielding? Obviously I spread myself too thin a lot of the time, do you think I should just have enough health to not get one shoted and then go all in on evasion? Also should I just go for physical attack or elemental attack? Mix of the two?
P.S I only play this game cause my mom says the community is really nice
"
EdeaLee wrote:

lol

Since I think the other guys were being a bit harsh, I'd like to roll up my sleeves and see what I can provide for you.

If you want to get really powerful really fast:

1. Buy or craft daggers with high physical damage. This is a poe.trade search for max cost 1 chaos daggers, and clicking the number under pDPS sorts by high pDPS. You can see there are many Mark of the Doubting Knight high rolled available, which would literally triple your physical DPS, or deal 60% more total DPS than your Spirit Sever.

2. Drop the 3 nodes of the Void Barrier cluster you took, you aren't building ES

3. Drop the 2 nodes of Elemental Focus minicluster you took, it only applies to half your damage when using Frost Blades anyways

4. Drop Call of the Brotherhood in favour of a rare ring with Life and Resistances

5. Drop your chest in favour of something with Life and Resistances

6. Drop your hat in favour of something with Life and Resistances

7. Drop your boots in favour of something with more Life and still having Resistances

8. Make room for a crowd-clearing Dagger skill as well - giving Frost Blades its own 4-link will probably work here (Frost Blades + 3 Supports that boost its damage, like you did with Dual Strike). The supports could be: Faster Attacks, Cold Penetration, Multistrike.

9. Stop casting Spells as it only slows you down, or, if you really want to keep Spell-ing, put Bladefall on a Spell Totem (Support) separate from Blade Vortex (replacement: Controlled Destruction, Increased Area of Effect, Added Fire Damage, Added Cold Damage, you got some options).

EDIT:

10. assuming you've leveled Haku, add some Life to your Hat (don't pick the chaos option, if you want to spend Chaos on getting a good hat, buy one from poe.trade)

11. Drop Kraken Twirl in favour of a ring with more Life and Resistances

EDIT2:

I don't know why I keep being forgetful.

1a. Drop Haste in favour of Hatred

1b. Since you have nearly no double-dip and you seem to like dealing Cold Damage, I'd drop Poison on your Dual Strike setup in favour of Melee Physical Damage. Getting boots with Armour/Evasion will help here, as item socket colour is based on stat requirements, and AR/Eva requires Str/Dex, which lets you roll red/green easily
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Feb 8, 2017, 9:07:04 PM
The "not even a build" comments stem from the fact that looking at your gear, gem links, and tree there doesn't seem to be any coherent direction that you're trying to go with your character. When building a character there are several key elements that actually make a build.

On the offensive side of things the most basic decision is what skill you're going to use as your primary damage skill. The damage nodes in your tree, the gem links for the skill, and the offensive elements of your gear should then be chosen to maximize the damage of this skill.

On the defensive side of things the first thing to consider is what your damage buffer is- life or energy shield (there are also hybrid options, but this is for more advanced builds). Then choose gear and tree nodes to boost this as high as possible. Most people also add other layered defenses on top of this, such as some mix of evasion, armour, dodge, endurance charges, immortal call, etc.

The difficulty with offering any pointers on your character is that there doesn't seem to be any coherent plan that incorporates these considerations. And if you don't even know what you're trying to go for then there's not much others can do to try to get you to a non-existent destination.
"
adghar wrote:
"
EdeaLee wrote:

lol

Since I think the other guys were being a bit harsh, I'd like to roll up my sleeves and see what I can provide for you.

I will admit to a low tolerance to what OP was doing earlier. Like I said, there was somebody else asking for build help and they at least had some direct concept of what they were trying to do even if whole fully misguided. And if the quote above is indicating what I think, sweet salty hell everything makes more sense.

I still think we need a semi-official "how-to" beginner's guide that is linked directly on the front page that is kept up to date on things like what is always commonly recommended for beginner's as well as current meta concepts, how to go about non-meta based builds so they don't feel sluggish and so on. We have parts here and there but nothing coherent. Hopefully the xbox release is forcing GGG's hand to have a bit more tutorial aspects to the game, or at least suggests links to follow up on in some capacity.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
just take some time to learn the game. don't be afraid to fail (although it's getting harder and harder to fail at this point).

finding out shit yourself and experimenting is always better imo than someone telling you what to do and you blindly following.

the number of mechanics and interactions in poe is quite large, but surprisingly most of them make sense in the big picture. as you learn the big concepts, you will start to get why some choices you've made so far are suboptimal or don't work together with other choices.
Last edited by grepman on Feb 9, 2017, 6:53:18 AM
Edealee, if you dont mind, add me in game and I will explain to you point by point. It is going to be a really long discussion which is why most of us could not afford the time to explain here.

My IGN-Deadpeng
"
"
adghar wrote:
"
EdeaLee wrote:

lol

I will admit to a low tolerance to what OP was doing earlier. Like I said, there was somebody else asking for build help and they at least had some direct concept of what they were trying to do even if whole fully misguided. And if the quote above is indicating what I think, sweet salty hell everything makes more sense.

Lol. I couldn't care less how many ignorant people you've had to deal with on here. Theirs no need to throw your salt in my direction just because I have a shitty build.

That being said I appreciate you and everyone else in this thread giving me pointers since PoE is such an intimidating beast.

Adghar, I'll take your advice, but as far as ARPG's go I've always been somewhat of a social recluse, (which might bite me hard because I know trading is a huge component of this game) so I usually try and just solo everything whenever I can. I'm not exactly obsessed with making a god-tier character, I want to learn how to make a functional character so I can then graduate to making more creative builds. But I think I've got an idea of how to do that now from this topic.

I'll be sure to update this thread as I need help, but one lingering question I have in my mind is how much of my max life increase (or defensive things in general, energy shield, evasion etc) should I get from my tree as opposed to my gear? I've heard you should look at the tree as where you get your life from plus some perks.

Thanks again.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info