Donald Trump and US politics

Come on, you guys. Lighten up, it's Halloween!
"
Jennik wrote:
The problem here is that modern right-wingers...

The problem is that most peoples’ beliefs are assigned to one side of a political paradigm that finds the other side morally reprehensible—that a person’s character is elevated or degraded by their political beliefs rather than their merit. You are guilty of this as well. I have at least admitted my biases, and Scrotie at least shares his opinions without relying on ad hominem censorship as the primary substance of his argument.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
Probably the funniest part is how some of you think merely focusing on the details is getting any closer to a solution, when all you're doing is resisting the frustration at your inability to figure out why those details are part of a broken whole. Eh, maybe this just how you deal with your own intelligent impotence.

I don’t think it’s impotent to subject one’s beliefs to the scrutiny of his peers. It is an opportunity to evaluate the rightness of your beliefs, and if capable of intellectual honesty, improve them.

Honestly, I believe we need more political discourse among peers, not less. That it is a social faux pas is likely directly because of my very first sentence. A nice little product of social engineering that keeps us divided. It is as if we are all locked in solitary confinement, able to pass notes to one another, but unwilling to discuss how to escape. When only talking heads are allowed to discuss politics, they alone are granted agency to write the narrative (to be the wardens of our isolation). The only way to break free of that narrative is to be open with one another and not pass judgment.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Since its Halloween, I guess this is the place to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdHKK9SUaoE

based on real events
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Oct 31, 2017, 5:00:35 PM
"
Disrupted wrote:
Since its Halloween, I guess this is the place to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdHKK9SUaoE

based on real events

The real scariness is the leftists sticking to a false narrative of conservatives being white supremacist bogeymen (bogeypeople, if we're being PC) while inspiring, advocating and failing to condemn threats and violence by the Alt Left they have stirred up.

We have the ridiculous ad in Virginia with a truck chasing minorities, including a Muslim girl, and the GOP candidate's name on the truck's bumper sticker.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/virginia-ad-features-minority-kids-chased-by-truck-with-gillespie-sticker-confederate-flag/2017/10/30/7311fdda-bd6f-11e7-97d9-bdab5a0ab381_story.html

Meanwhile, in reality, we have another terrorist confirmed to have shouted Allahu Ackbar mowing down Americans in a truck of peace in Manhattan:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/31/us/new-york-shots-fired/index.html

So, will the left react as much or more to 8 dead from this rampaging truck as they did to the 1 dead in Charlottesville? That is where the real intellectual honesty comes in.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Oct 31, 2017, 5:56:47 PM
"
One more this morning. A must see youtube video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Uy0Uznw4E&sns=tw

Nice one. I stopped reading all the repetitive crap here anyway. The earlier Trump and his lying crew and followers are history, the better.
Last edited by Schmodderhengst on Oct 31, 2017, 7:07:52 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:

You're not my peers. We're from completely different worlds. Irreconcilably different right now. Just the way it is.

And I've tried dialogue. Many times. Back when I somehow forgot you're not my peers. Back when I thought there was some common ground between the camps. Before I realised just how much everyone here is clinging to labels and simplifications. Easier, I think, just to let people have their rants. That's all this is. Like I said: it goes nowhere. It does nothing. It. Changes. Nothing.
Exactly. Trumpers here are only interested distraction from the real issues: Russian interference in the election and Trumps relationship to Russia. They ignore all his endless lying and they lying of his staff and family regarding Russian contacts. For the most part they just want to shout louder than anyone else.They follow the Rush/Hannity game plan of blaming everything on Obama and Hillary to try and hide the total incompetence of trump and his administration.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
CanHasPants wrote:
"
Jennik wrote:
The problem here is that modern right-wingers...

The problem is that most peoples’ beliefs are assigned to one side of a political paradigm that finds the other side morally reprehensible—that a person’s character is elevated or degraded by their political beliefs rather than their merit. You are guilty of this as well. I have at least admitted my biases, and Scrotie at least shares his opinions without relying on ad hominem censorship as the primary substance of his argument.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
Probably the funniest part is how some of you think merely focusing on the details is getting any closer to a solution, when all you're doing is resisting the frustration at your inability to figure out why those details are part of a broken whole. Eh, maybe this just how you deal with your own intelligent impotence.

I don’t think it’s impotent to subject one’s beliefs to the scrutiny of his peers. It is an opportunity to evaluate the rightness of your beliefs, and if capable of intellectual honesty, improve them.

Honestly, I believe we need more political discourse among peers, not less. That it is a social faux pas is likely directly because of my very first sentence. A nice little product of social engineering that keeps us divided. It is as if we are all locked in solitary confinement, able to pass notes to one another, but unwilling to discuss how to escape. When only talking heads are allowed to discuss politics, they alone are granted agency to write the narrative (to be the wardens of our isolation). The only way to break free of that narrative is to be open with one another and not pass judgment.

"
Poll: 71% of Americans Say Political Correctness Has Silenced Discussions Society Needs to Have, 58% Have Political Views They’re Afraid to Share

https://www.cato.org/blog/poll-71-americans-say-political-correctness-has-silenced-discussions-society-needs-have-58-have

You see, only one side threatens members of the other side with violence for their political beliefs:

"
Democrats are unique, however, in that a slim majority (53%) do not feel the need to self-censor. Conversely, strong majorities of Republicans (73%) and independents (58%) say they keep some political beliefs to themselves.

='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
ChanBalam wrote:
Exactly. Trumpers here are only interested distraction from the real issues: Russian interference in the election and Trumps relationship to Russia.

Yeah dude, those are the big problems, some stupid Russia meme pushed by literal losers.

Did Hillary already call for an assault vehicle ban?

Here's some classic hypocrisy for the lulz:

Spoiler
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last edited by Xavderion on Oct 31, 2017, 9:04:20 PM
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
ChanBalam wrote:
Exactly. Trumpers here are only interested distraction from the real issues: Russian interference in the election and Trumps relationship to Russia.

Yeah dude, those are the big problems, some stupid Russia meme pushed by literal losers.

Did Hillary already call for an assault vehicle ban?

Here's some classic hypocrisy for the lulz:

Spoiler
I do believe that you just confirmed my post. You seem to have forgotten that Hillary lost and is not president and all you want people to do is focus on her or Obama.

So, are you saying that the Russians did not try to influence the election?

Are you saying that Trump campaign staff did not meet with Russians to discuss how they could help one another?

Are you saying that Trump and his staff have not lied about their contacts with Russians?

^^^ Those are all yes or no questions.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
鬼殺し wrote:

And to be fair, all we of the opposing side care about is getting rid of Trump by pretty much any means necessary or possible. This is why it's irreconcilable for now. And Trump made it this way because he created this dichotomy.

The Democrats' Resist anything Trump does mindset (even if it was something they supported before, such as Neil Gorsuch who was elevated to the circuit courts by a unanimous vote, but faced a filibuster and was voted against by 45). It is true that Trump gives no quarter, exacerbating the situation, but his contribution is relatively minor when you look at the bigger picture in American politics which has been trending for well over 30 years.

It isn't that the DNC is guilty of doing anything the GOP wasn't doing in terms of resistance and obstruction. All they did was raise the bar a little higher. The number of filibusters placed against Obama's agenda was absurd, no other president suffered through as many. Likewise, Bush and Clinton faced a lot of resistance and we even had government shutdowns because of the 'gridlock'. It hasn't been as bad as it is now, but every 4 years for a long time, it has grown worse.

Our school systems haven't helped - brainwashing children and young adults with the idea that whatever problems we have can be solved by blaming someone and then spending a bunch of money on a program before we even know what is causing the problem. Between Academia and the Media, American traditions have been belittled and demonized for over a decade. Good people got tired of being called bad people, and now they aren't taking any crap from their 'critics'.

The DNC is fully capable of reaching across the aisle to work with President Trump. When they start to do so, compromises can be considered. Compromise is not a dirty word, but the solution reached still needs to solve the problem. Until we have a public that routinely has honest sources of news, the politicians can say whatever they want and make whatever deals they want.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info