Gaming and life time management\consumption

I used to play games all the time as a kid (28 now). I remember especially D2. In holidays i could play until 4 am, wake up at 12, open the game, brush my teeth grab something to eat, sit down and play for most of the day excluding short breaks and maybe 2-3 hours with friends (which played with me). talking mostly about D2, rushing home and get online with them and continue play.

Well as i grew up i couldn't keep on doing it, but, once in a while i do had some days like that (full of playing).
I was glad that i moved out of the house, leaving my computer at home. I have a laptop that cannot run POE so i could focus on my studies. In test periods I tried to get as far as i could from the computer (I return to my parents house in holidays and weekends, it's close), Only when the pressure from the test overcame the desire to play, i could ignore POE on my own will power.
This was an artificial way to quite, physically get away from the ability to play.
though i had times that i lost interest in the game, i always returned to it.

Now that I'm about to enter my Graduate school, i cannot think that i had misused my time.
Maybe i could read more books, learn more, maybe invest in a productive hobby that would help me someday... See more documentaries

what have i learned from games apart from English?

I had tons of fun, and i keep enjoying this game... but apart from that, does it gives any merit?
Maybe if i was an economist i would have studied games economies... but I'm not.

Just wanted to hear someone else out, maybe i miss something.
I'm trying to work on my English (reading and hearing is not a prob) so if i misused tenses please feel free to correct me!
Thanks.
Last bumped on Feb 16, 2017, 1:36:29 PM
Imagine witnessing a nuclear blast above your city, is your final thought going to be i wish i had worked a little harder or learned more? Or regrets that you DIDNT enjoy life as much as you could have?

For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Gaming is a lot more enjoyable when you are doing a lot of things you do not enjoy (i.e. Work/School).

I think there is a problem when the game becomes the thing you do not enjoy and you keep playing for some minor aspect that you do.

A kid with a magnifying glass. . . looming down on the anthill. Eventually one is going to get you.
Playing video games actually excellent for the mind. There's a study that people who play video games are less likely to be depressed and have their brains trained to completely accomplish things.

There are many things you've learned from gaming it's just not apparent... "wax on wax off..."
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
time spent enjoying something is not time wasted.

rarely you see someone say 'I wasted a lot of time having sex for multiple hours a day with this girl'.

its not that different with other leisure activities, especially if gaming is one.

most of leisure activities and hobbies don't really have a major, global point and don't develop some universally applicable skills.

Its all about a healthy balance of things right?

Its important to improve yourself and invest in things that will benefit your future etc, for sure.

But I try to stay away from feeling a need to justify things in my life too much, especially by some kind of bench mark external to myself. Its all just chemicals going round in my brain, any sort of importance or merit I attach to one experience over another is just something Ive made up in my head. Whatever makes me happy makes me happy, theres no need to qualify it further than that.

If working on a checkout in a supermarket and coming home to play mariocart on a wii makes me a lot more happy than working as an investment banker and spending my free time studying advanced physics then Ill take the supermarket wage and play mariocart. Theres no underpinning law of the universe which says one is superior to the other, thats all just insecurity and trying to justify ones self through what we perceive as societies take on what is important in life, what is admirable, credible.

But ultimately its something we are doing to ourselves, its an entirely internal process, we are putting the pressure on ourselves, we are deciding that this is what society values but by attributing it to society rather than a construct of our own mind we give away responsibility for it and control of it, we stop being able to evaluate it by our own standards. It starts to become a constant like the law of gravity, something unchanging and beyond us we must conform to. Its not, its an entirely self created set of criteria that we are judging ourselves by and we can change it whenever we want, we created it once, recreating it is not more or less credible or correct.

What really matters to you? Being happy? Feeling fulfilled? Whatever matters to you, how do you maximize it in a long term, sustainable way? That is what is important, sometimes that means doing things you dont enjoy right now in order to have more fun in the long run. Be smart, for sure, but be real too. Thats my take on life.
I've been thinking a lot about this recently since I am applying for medical school and with it looming over me, I've decided what better time to spend no-life-gaming than the next few months before school starts. Yes, I can choose to be more "productive" and start ahead of my colleagues and read medical books etc...but that's not all what life is. If people everywhere just did what was productive and necessary, there would be no path of exile, no games, no little things that make life worthwhile!! 3 years from now, I'm gonna look back at this exact moment and remember fondly how I spent a few months just playing nothing but poe just like how I look fondly back on my teenage years.
"
SkyCore wrote:
Imagine witnessing a nuclear blast above your city, is your final thought going to be i wish i had worked a little harder or learned more? Or regrets that you DIDNT enjoy life as much as you could have?

Id regret that i didn't just wank same time it happened coz i would have greatest ejaculation ever.
"
Spermadzika wrote:
"
SkyCore wrote:

Id regret that i didn't just wank same time it happened coz i would have greatest ejaculation ever.

The ultimate autoerotic orgasm would definitely come from climaxing while getting nuked
anything is everything
There is something other than gaming?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info