It's Not Your Money

I keep seeing people hilariously say that GGG is spending 'their money' on some form of update they're unhappy with.

Unless you're a communist, in which case this concept is hard to grasp, it shouldn't be difficult to know that once you transfer money to someone else, it is no longer yours. Maaybe if you're Ruler of Wraeclast you get some say somewhere but how many of you are there?

Now of course I would never lessen my experience of this game by playing it on a scrub system like the Xbox one, but there are those types of scrubs out there and I'm sure it'll be pretty successful. So what will probably happen is GGG's funding goes up, even if your list of supporter titles doesn't, and they keep doing what they want. When it comes to GGG, that's all I ask for. Developers that cater get on my nerves
Last bumped on Jan 31, 2017, 9:13:26 AM
It was your money though. You donated because you were told one thing, and now you find it's another entirely. It's not our money anymore, nor do we have any say in where it goes...But we SHOULD have had a say in donating that money, an HONEST say. Instead, GGG hid the fact that they've been planning a console port, and we donated not knowing that our money was going somewhere we wouldn't have wanted it to.

In the end, we don't get a say. But we DO have a right to be upset that we were deceived, and that money we thought went to a PC gaming company worth supporting, instead went to a game company that was willing to deceive us and leave the PC gamers behind to go port to Xbox.

Sorry if the exact terminology of "their money" is bothering you. Regardless of the terms they use...People have a good reason, and a right, to be upset. So they ARE upset.

As for it being a success...Well, that depends on how you lookat it. In the short term, maybe the first few patches, it probably will be. In the long term, I expect the failure history has shown to be the norm.

Also, as for success...Some of the less-loved changes in the game recently have been attributed to the Xbox preparations. Doesn't that make the port already a failure for the PC gamers? Their game has been changed to support a port they were never told about.

Even if you never spent a bent penny on GGG...You have a reason to be upset at all the time you spent, playing and hoping that things would get better, when really GGG was making them worse for the port.

- Sheepster
What I don't understand is how everyone is so certain that the money they have spent on supporter packs and mtx is the money they used to fund this project?

Like I said in another post, is it completely out of the realm of possibility that they have secured a loan, line of credit or an investor to bank roll this with?
"
PappaHambone wrote:
What I don't understand is how everyone is so certain that the money they have spent on supporter packs and mtx is the money they used to fund this project?

Like I said in another post, is it completely out of the realm of possibility that they have secured a loan, line of credit or an investor to bank roll this with?

It's not completely out of the realm of possibility...But it is on the edge. It's extremely unlikely.

Also, if they HAD done this...Then what possible reason could they have for not saying so? So many people upset by their deceit...If they had gotten a loan, then there was no deceit, and they can tell us and shut up that complaint. Although it's not like we can believe them now, as they've lied to use before.

On top of that, let's say they did get a loan....Then that means any money we give NOW, will go somewhere we don't want it to, and there's STILL an issue.

- Sheepster
Unless of course the payback of loans, credit or investments come directly from profits made from the port. In which case your money spent stays with your platform.
Again I don't know how likely that is, just trying to do some good faith speculating. I love POE as it scratches a gaming itch on levels that games from the same genre don't even come close to
I love capitalism. But there is also the notion of misrepresentation in a capitalist system. I think Chris misrepresented the game so it would not slow down money from supporters. If Chris said the company is also exploring a console release, then people would be concerned that there money will not be going to what they enjoy about the game. (ie. money instead would be spent on features to benefit a PC/console friendly game, development resources to the console game etc).

Money is fungible, so even if the funds the supporter gave went to the PC side, it would still allow other resources to leak to the console side - which the supporter may not wish to donate with that information - therefore, people may feel Chris held back the material information that GGG was spending development resources on a console version of PoE to prevent supporters from withdrawing their support early.
"
PappaHambone wrote:

If GGG were to forego a console version, and server costs climbed faster than revenues increased, would you be OK with GGG slowing down expansions and other new content?

GGG has been at this for what 10+ years? They have carefully expanded so far, and I'd be confident that they have a long term business plan guiding them.

If you've ever run a successful start up company, you learn that expansion is tricky, but can be navigated. There's a time when conditions are right for it, and a rate that will suit what you can handle. IMO, the success of the model they used to generate revenue from the console will be the sole determinant of whether this ends up being a major boon for PoE, not the fact that they need to meet more than one type of customer needs.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Why are you trying to start shit? So fucking unnecessary.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
I've got several $1,000 here, burning a hole in my pocket, that most DEFINITELY is my money.

What to spend it on, hmmm....

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give moar Power Creep Pls

"
Shop > Buy Packs
Breach Supporter Packs

We're proud to announce the Breach Supporter Packs! There are two packs available that help you celebrate the release of the Breach challenge league with Cloaks and other exclusive effects!

We'll be running them alongside the Atlas Supporter Packs for the rest of their duration.

Nothing in there about keeping Path of Exile exclusive to PC.

"
Shop > Buy Packs
Atlas of Worlds Supporter Packs

The sales of Supporter Packs so far have funded a significant portion of Path of Exile's development. Thanks to your generous contributions, we were able to pay for the content and server costs of Path of Exile and several expansions. Over fourteen million gamers have enjoyed Path of Exile and many have supported us by purchasing supporter packs and microtransactions. This support is greatly appreciated. It covers not only our day-to-day development costs but also the development of future expansions.[/url]

Same thing here.
Of course, depending on your definition of 'development' and 'expansion' this could refer to development of the expansion into X-Box. The X-pansion, if you will.

Regardless, there's nothing there about keeping it PC only.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Last edited by crystalwitch on Jan 21, 2017, 1:30:51 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info