Antivirus opinion

My computer is old and slow. I'm trying to eek out every bit of performance that I can. What are folks opinions about the safety risks/performance gains of turning off antivirus while playing?

wolf
I'll take "Swords" for two hundred Alex.
-Faux Sean Connery
Last bumped on Jan 20, 2017, 6:59:12 AM
Call NSA
Don't need to - they already know O*8

wolf
I'll take "Swords" for two hundred Alex.
-Faux Sean Connery
Eh, I don't feel strongly one way or the other. While you're not actively surfing the net, a decent firewall's probably more relevant than the AV. I'd say Win 7 or newer have decent firewalls baked into the OS... not sure which version of Windows your "old" PC has.

Which AV do you use? Is it possible you could switch to a more lightweight alternative?
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
My computer is old and slow. I'm trying to eek out every bit of performance that I can. What are folks opinions about the safety risks/performance gains of turning off antivirus while playing?

wolf

i dont think its worth it, but it really depends on what you are running. some of those antivirus/antimalware programs are real resource hogs.

im running Sophos Home right now on Win7 Pro. it running in the background just sitting there doing its idle business of protecting things is taking up anywhere from 400k - 900K of memory according to the task manager. which also according to the task manager it isnt really using the CPU much either.

also, i started a full scan with it. it takes up less than 2M up on my system.

im really just pointing out that it is a really light weight program. Give it a try. i mean if you are really that hard up that you have to turn off programs to conserve up to a few MB of memory or (likely) less than 1% of CPU usage (when actually scanning not idle) than you probably have bigger issues.
I've been using Kaspersky for years with no issues

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info