How to profitable scale dmg with conversion?

I think i understood how conversion works. Correct if I'm wrong. Each type of damage (phys, lightning, cold, fire) first of all will be conversed. But before sum, each of them will be affected by sum of increases of all type of damage where conversed damage visited. As far as i can explain with my broken english.

For example we got
Phys: 160
Lightning: 80
Cold: 50

Conversion:
50% phys to lightning
25% lightning to cold

Increases:
Phys +10%
Lightning +20%
Cold +30%

Then we converse phys to lightning:
Phys ("true"): 80
Lightning ("phys"): 80
Lightning ("true"): 80
Cold ("true"): 50

Then lightning to cold:
Phys ("true"): 80
Lightning ("phys"): 60
Lightning ("true"): 60
Cold ("phys-lightning"): 20
Cold ("lightning"): 20
Cold ("true"): 50

Then increase:
Phys ("true"): 80 * 1,10
Lightning ("phys"): 60 * (1 + (0,20 + 0,10))
Lightning ("true"): 60 * 1,20
Cold ("phys-lightning"): 20 * (1 + (0,30 + 0,20 + 0,10))
Cold ("lightning"): 20 * (1 +(0,30 + 0,20))
Cold ("true"): 50 * 1,30

Then sum all. Right?
But i am confused, how to benefit from that mechanic? Can you explain and give an example where conversion works good and gives real profit? How to scale damage best with partial conversion? And how to scale with full 100% conversion?
Last bumped on Jan 20, 2017, 4:14:31 AM
With only the increases, you'd end up with
88 phys
96 lightning
65 cold
249 damage in total
Which is can be hindering if you want to be able to apply status ailments (freeze and chill in this case)
After conversion you'll end up with
44 phys
75 lightning
127 cold
266 damage in total
At such a low scale it rarely matters, but once you have much higher increases (100% phys, 200% lightning and 300% cold for example) the differences would get massive.
Example using the mentioned values
Without conversion:
160 phys
240 lightning
200 cold
600 total
With conversions:
80 phys
210 lightning
460 cold
750 total
Conversion can significantly boost your damage.
To scale it further, I would apply the biggest increases to the final result, as otherwise damage gets "lost" in the conversion.
If you are only using converted damage, then you should apply flat boni to damage always to the initial damage type.
I hope I could help a bit.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
FCK, since you started with Increases that can never be right. Conversion occurs before all multipliers. There is never any damage lost in Conversion, which is what makes it so strong.

Mad_Goomba, seems you've got it down correctly.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jan 19, 2017, 11:27:24 AM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
FCK, since you started with Increases that can never be right. Conversion occurs before all multipliers. There is never any damage lost in Conversion, which is what makes it so strong.

Mad_Goomba, seems you've got it down correctly.

Ok, I made a slight mistake there, the stement only applies if you also have some base damage of the wanted damage type (cold in the examples given). Otherwise, increasing the base damage type would result in higher damage, though it can give more trouble with reflect.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info