Has chaos become the "Gold" of PoE?

Was wondering how people feel about the prominence of chaos as a trading currency.

Personally, I think it would be better if some things were changed around a bit (some of the important master crafts, some zana mods, etc), and used some other currency instead(or be able to choose from multiple ones) to lessen the importance of chaos in the economy a bit.

Maybe it's just me, but recently I feel that that chaos has seperated itself from all the other currency and has become the "Gold" of PoE.

Ofc that's not necessary a bad thing as it makes things simpler, but I think I'd like it better if trading was a bit more diverse.

Please discuss, and let me know what you think :)
Last edited by smichal52 on Jan 17, 2017, 2:57:15 AM
Last bumped on Jan 17, 2017, 2:01:54 PM
I'd prefer a sink for regal orbs. Make regal orbs great again!

I'm using chaos orbs mostly to reroll maps/strongboxes.
Last edited by loardpcm on Jan 17, 2017, 3:00:36 AM
Yes Chaos have most utility. A lot of master mods use them, best way to craft is chaos spam, maps rerolling, etc. Exalts are almost worthless. Few master crafts and yolo exalt. Regals are even more worthless. very few master mods and jewel yolos.

I agree with changing things around. Mainly at master. Regals should do a lot of what chaos is doing there.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jan 17, 2017, 3:06:25 AM
There's literally 0 arguments for change in this thread. It's just your "feel" that you'd like something different.

Anyway, more to the point, it's all about supply and demand. If the items you buy/sell are worth 3 chaos, most people will accept 10 fusings or whatever the current rate it. If the item is 2 exalts, you don't want to be receiving 1600 alterations. And the exchange rate is always dictated by orb drop rates and their usefulness.

TL;DR don't piss against the wind
Reality is an illusion, Exile.
"
smichal52 wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but recently I feel that that chaos has seperated itself from all the other currency and has become the "Gold" of PoE.
Yes it's just you, real gold of PoE is exalts; chaos is copper.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
silumit wrote:
"
smichal52 wrote:
Yes it's just you, real gold of PoE is exalts; chaos is copper.

Claiming that chaos orbs have become the main trading currency isn't just a personal misconception of the op.
If you search for valuable items you'll notice that the prices no longer are listed in exalts but in chaos. This is due to the fact that the chaos : exalt ratio is dropping (50:1 atm in breach, down from 70+ : 1). Whatever the reason for this drop (many claim it is due to price manipulation in currency trading by some busy flippers), it let people switch to asking for chaos when selling items, as putting on an exalt price tag might lead to exchange loss.

Just search for Tukohama's Fortress for example. Asking for several hundred chaos instead of a few exalts wouldn't have happened in the past.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Yes Chaos have most utility. A lot of master mods use them, best way to craft is chaos spam, maps rerolling, etc. Exalts are almost worthless. Few master crafts and yolo exalt. Regals are even more worthless. very few master mods and jewel yolos.

I agree with changing things around. Mainly at master. Regals should do a lot of what chaos is doing there.

Actually Regal primary use ATM (For me and most others anyway) is for Jewels that hit 2 really super nice mods to try for a third. But then the chances it hits something worthy of the risk of a yolo exalt is very slim. Otherwise yeah i have to agree Regals are always worth quite a bit less that Chaos which makes little sense seeing as how the Regal Recipe can only be done in higher maps.

In fact i always feel like its rather odd that when i fill my Tabs with Chaos Recipes to turn in from my high tier mapping i ALWAYS farm Sac Frag in the map device or Dried Lake or some other low lvl area for Weapons just so it can turn in Chaos instead of Regal. Otherwise all my Recipes would be Regal i would screwing myself out of currency. Makes little since. If anything it should be the other way around the ilvl 75 recipes should be a better deal than ilvl 60. Either a change making Regals more relevant or swap the recipes is in order. I would prefer seeing Regal having a reason to be made over Chaos myself.

Masters charging in Regals could be a good option and give more reason for doing the Regal Recipes for sure. Maybe charge in Regal on the higher lvl better mods they can craft or something.
ATM the only other real use for Regal is for Crafting but thats only for people who have extensive currency to burn on such endeavors.

I have also noticed this league Regals have gained SOME small prominence over what they were the last few leagues. Ive actually seen some people buying 65:1Ex regals. And regals are alot closer to what Chaos are this league than in past leagues. Normally its impossible to trade in regals. its not like it would take any massive changes to further this. Just a small change here and there would make a huge difference.
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on Jan 17, 2017, 5:15:50 AM
"
MBQ wrote:
There's literally 0 arguments for change in this thread. It's just your "feel" that you'd like something different.

Anyway, more to the point, it's all about supply and demand. If the items you buy/sell are worth 3 chaos, most people will accept 10 fusings or whatever the current rate it. If the item is 2 exalts, you don't want to be receiving 1600 alterations. And the exchange rate is always dictated by orb drop rates and their usefulness.

TL;DR don't piss against the wind

Your point is of course valid, and that's the way it should be, the rates should always be dictated by offer and demand, it's just that the choices for the currency used for some popular master crafts and zana mods have increased that demand too much.

I don't really have a sound argument why it should be otherwise,
I just think it would make more sense if it was a bit more balanced and wanted to see if other's think so too.

Dont want to go into too much details about my train of thought, but one good reason for me would be I'd like to use all the currency sitting in my stash instead of having to go and trade for chaos all the time :)
Last edited by smichal52 on Jan 17, 2017, 5:27:18 AM
People are trading in Breach with chaos because of the volatility of exalts. Nobody wants to mark an item for 5ex at 60c per exalt and then have exalts drop to 40, which means your 5ex ain't 5ex anymore. It's all really because of that one incident, people freaked.
Deliver pain exquisite
member when gcp were the main currency? i member
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info