Are we ever gonna get spears?

"
Jgizle wrote:
Maybe spears have innate armor penetration, or innate bleed since that is their real life use. They could have about the same range as 2h axes but as a 1H making them comparable to rapiers with longer range. Can make it so offhand can only be a shield as thats typically how they were used. Then they could make a unique variant that is 2H.

If you can't dual-wield spears, don't even bother . . . So lame . . . Who needs innate bleed when you have disfavour? Innate poison though . . . that could be a thing.
Last edited by AHAB_10 on Jan 17, 2017, 12:31:20 AM
"
AHAB_10 wrote:
"
Fruz wrote:
I would love to see spears too, one handed and two handed, I was to be able to yell THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAA, wielding a rounded shield and a one handed spear in the hand !!!

But seriously, I'd love to have spears in PoE someday ^^.

Spears are not two-handed. Get on my level, bro.

Spears could definitely be 2H weapons too.
Ideally, we would have both.

DW spears seem kinda silly to me also, however I don't know if such restrictions would be easy to implement on a base weapon type in PoE.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Not gonna happen. Chris already said in some interview that things like Spears and Javelins aren't gonna make it into the game, because , much like mounts, they'd conflict with the environment too much. Like having weapons clip through doors and walls and whatnot...
[quote="ScrotieMcB"]It's just, like, people's opinions, man.

But I cannot respect motherf♪♫♫♪rs calling something a simulator, when it isn't one.[/quote]

Mors edited this post first.
"
Sure_K4y wrote:
Not gonna happen. Chris already said in some interview that things like Spears and Javelins aren't gonna make it into the game, because , much like mounts, they'd conflict with the environment too much. Like having weapons clip through doors and walls and whatnot...

Developers do what they want. BUT, spears are part of enviroment, since is a traditional weapon, and game mechanics are a question of creativity.

Lore, Greust, scenario and enemies have spears and, c´mon, what is more natural? Blade flurry? Witches tanking? Weapons with nails?

"
Sure_K4y wrote:

Seriously ? That's understandable for mounts but .... We got pole arms already !
Even couple of unique 2 handed weapons that are spears ( or one handed ones ) would be nice then, if they are not willing at all to introduce that new weapon type.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jan 17, 2017, 10:52:23 PM
New weapon type would be nothing without new appropriate skill gems.
"
Apocalich wrote:
"
Sure_K4y wrote:

Developers do what they want. BUT, spears are part of enviroment, since is a traditional weapon, and game mechanics are a question of creativity.

Lore, Greust, scenario and enemies have spears and, c´mon, what is more natural? Blade flurry? Witches tanking? Weapons with nails?

I did not say that what Chris said made a lot of sense to me. Just saying what I heard some time ago. Weapons with nails have been used a lot by pirates in the past, if you mean things like awls and such...

I am, personally, not against having those things in the game. There are, infact, weapons that I'd very much like to have in the game as a base class, for instance things like Kamas, or Kukris.

@Fruz I know we already have Polearms, and then there's also some MTXs, but when you consider that a Polearm is basically an Axe on a stick, for lack of a better description, and then think about how a Spear is used in combat, you'll quickly realize that those are two vastly different things. So, in order for those to look decent when used, there'd have to be a whole new set of animations. On top of that, I'd even go as far as arguing that causing an EQ like fissure on the ground, by slamming it with the tip of a spear, doesn't sound like something that makes (enough) sense.

I think that things like Kamas and Kukris are easier to implement, because Kamas can work like Claws and Kukris like daggers, mechanically. Being able to use a spear like a staff, along with being able to use all the relevant skills, doesn't seem adequate to me. Let alone that spears tend to be a lot longer than your average human being is, which brings me to how polearms in this game aren't portraied the way they should be. But that's just me personally, as well as me having been in a relationship with some mid-age weapon nerd, a couple years ago... Thank god that monkey is off my back... But you get the idea...

But I cannot respect motherf♪♫♫♪rs calling something a simulator, when it isn't one.[/quote]

Last edited by Sure_K4y on Jan 18, 2017, 7:51:10 AM
"
Apocalich wrote:
"
Sure_K4y wrote:

You misunderstand. He did not mean "conflict with the environment" as in, it doesn't make sense with the theme and setting. He means that the size and shape of spears would be awkward and problematic from a technical/physics/animation standpoint (literally physically conflicting with other elements of the environment)
U MAD?
"
Docbp87 wrote:
"
Apocalich wrote:
"
Sure_K4y wrote:

You misunderstand. He did not mean "conflict with the environment" as in, it doesn't make sense with the theme and setting. He means that the size and shape of spears would be awkward and problematic from a technical/physics/animation standpoint (literally physically conflicting with other elements of the environment)

What he said

A man can hope.

1 Hand Javelin for melee or throwing would be awesome sauce.

Anyone remember the days?

Last edited by zzang on Jan 18, 2017, 6:51:04 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info