Vaal Temple help

Just ran the Vaal Temple map for the first time and the bosses wiped the floor with me. All other content has been manageable this league so far (up to T15, as Vaal Temple was the first +T15 map I had run), but those guys just took me out.

I finally managed to run around and kite them a bit, took out who I could with firestorm, which left me with K'aj Y'ara'az, the dual striker. Even before he became the last boss, however, he was one-shotting me with some crazy hit. It was unpredictable, as some of is hits did not hit that hard, so it was likely a crit. He runs so fast it is hard to kite, cast, kite, cast. Watching some videos, it seems people just face-tank him, and with less HP than me, so I am unclear on what is going on here. Could I be dying to my own reflect?

Also, my chaos firestorm seemed to do far less damage on him than other bosses. He stood in it for the 5 or so seconds I was able to tank him without dying, which is not common for this character (using whither to reduce chaos resistance). Is he immune to poison?

Very frustrating to fail such an expensive map!

Last bumped on Jan 17, 2017, 5:34:42 PM
I think I remember reading something about him periodically casting a fire thorns type ability similar to how the arc mages have lightning thorns. That would explain why some people facetank him easily, while a build like yours which does lots of small fast hits would get wrecked.
Vaal temple is one of the 3 most dangerous map with shaper and you alluring abyss. Is also very profitable and is not a leveling map, it's a farming map like others t 16
As others have said, he has (very significant) reflect when the enrage is up. (You'll see the fire buff on him).
Thanks for the info. I did see the Breach League statistics showing the Vaal Temple map as one of the most common death locations, so I don't feel too bad failing my first try.

I am thinking it must have been the reflect on him that took me out repeatedly. To be honest, with a screen full of firestorm it is quite hard to see enraged buffs or many other changes to bosses, so perhaps I should just circle around the perimeter and try to take him out first before he can put up the reflect.

On a side note, even Shavronne's Merciless universal-reflect buff has taken me out recently, as I forgot about it and you can't halt firestorm quickly when you notice a buff change. As a chaos-based character, you forget that there are still a few bosses in the game that can take you out with universal reflect. I only made the connection when I also died to Gisale (Shavronne of Scriptorium), and had to look up the two to find out they both had that universal reflect buff occasionally. I really should come up with a spell totem or something to deal with these few bosses as firestorm is not really a skill easy to turn on and off quickly, and sometimes you cast it almost off screen from the boss.
"
sgoer wrote:
Thanks for the info. I did see the Breach League statistics showing the Vaal Temple map as one of the most common death locations, so I don't feel too bad failing my first try.

I am thinking it must have been the reflect on him that took me out repeatedly. To be honest, with a screen full of firestorm it is quite hard to see enraged buffs or many other changes to bosses, so perhaps I should just circle around the perimeter and try to take him out first before he can put up the reflect.

On a side note, even Shavronne's Merciless universal-reflect buff has taken me out recently, as I forgot about it and you can't halt firestorm quickly when you notice a buff change. As a chaos-based character, you forget that there are still a few bosses in the game that can take you out with universal reflect. I only made the connection when I also died to Gisale (Shavronne of Scriptorium), and had to look up the two to find out they both had that universal reflect buff occasionally. I really should come up with a spell totem or something to deal with these few bosses as firestorm is not really a skill easy to turn on and off quickly, and sometimes you cast it almost off screen from the boss.

The Vaal Temple trio (much like in Atziri) should be handled in a certain order to make the fight more manageable. Usually people don't leave the dual-striker last if they can help it because his reflect becomes absurd when he is last and enrages.

The easiest one for most builds to leave last is the the cleave/cycloner
From what I have been reading elsewhere, the wiki may be wrong about the universal reflect of K'aj Y'ara'az as well as Shavronne and Gisale. As Grimmhammer above noted, it is likely a fire thorns (for K'aj)/electric thorns (for Shavronne and Gisale) effect, where a flat amount of fire or electric damage hits you for every hit you make on the boss. This would explain why skills that hit very fast likely cause much more hurt on you than skills that hit slow and hard. Firestorm is definitely the prior, so likely explains why these bosses have been tough on my build.
Just use
so that he can never touch you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info