Crit vs. Non-crit Builds : Do non-crit builds need a buff?

"
Phrazz wrote:

Emberwake... -max resi... You talk about elemental builds, which - in my eyes - isn't the problem. Elemental Overload fixes a lot of those problems for casters, as do WED on every gear slot, Heralds and APS scaling for attack based builds. The real problem, is physical scaling, mainly attack based builds, without crit. And Emberwake has some interesting synergies, but one, two, three or even four uniques will not "fix" something.

How long is it since you made a 1H non-crit physical Duelist or Marauder? How's your damage?

Talking about crit and non crit builds, what does it matter if phys or elemental? Friend of mine plays a poison build this season non crit and deals insane dmg...

Last season i played a 2 H meele (non crit) and my dmg was insane...dont like one hand and meeles in general in all games are a bit boring...

But meeles are in general far weaker in poe so thats not a problem with crit and non crit.
well.. ive made DW and 1h RT builds with normal gear and i reach respectable damage (like 50k tooltip) - surely enough to cruise yellow maps and do red maps

issue? it costs so many nodes that i barely have 5k life with a left-side of the tree build. it is garbage value/passive-cost ratio. crit builds are cheaper 'per dps' than non crit just because entire game screams 'play crit' + ggg did a great job making crit builds have all the toys you need: free flask charges? free status aliments? stuff like Heralds - non crit builds have serious issues triggering this stuff - there go your auto-curses etc etc

cool, i can play crit. but can we remove left part of the tree and call it a day? otherwise it is 'you can play whatever you want, but only the 'special ones' play non-crit' (note: there ARE some left side builds that are non crit - summoners, RF, Explosive Arrow or people with 450pdps 1handers + obvious double dip idiocy)
Anything you boost non-crit with needs to be nerfed for crit, because crit will benefit from it, too, and more from multipliers.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
1) removing status aliments from crits has no side effects (and makes 'chance to cause status aliment' nodes valuable again - who took Fingers of Frost EVER? when crit nodes do the same job but easier and cheaper)

2) what does not affect non-crit is 'crit chance' and 'crit multi'. crit multi is an obvious choice to start gutting.

3) base damage on daggers should be cut to the levels wands have. wands cap at aroound 300 for a reason. why daggers have the same raw damage as axes yet daggers can reach 95% crit is beyond me. that would make claws valuable again (because claws cannot reach this kind of crit/multi they can keep their raw damage)

3 simple changes that do not mess with anything non-crit. these changes would hurt - sure - but crit builds have had enough of this lame joyride
"
sidtherat wrote:
well.. ive made DW and 1h RT builds with normal gear and i reach respectable damage (like 50k tooltip) - surely enough to cruise yellow maps and do red maps

issue? it costs so many nodes that i barely have 5k life with a left-side of the tree build. it is garbage value/passive-cost ratio. crit builds are cheaper 'per dps' than non crit just because entire game screams 'play crit' + ggg did a great job making crit builds have all the toys you need: free flask charges? free status aliments? stuff like Heralds - non crit builds have serious issues triggering this stuff - there go your auto-curses etc etc

cool, i can play crit. but can we remove left part of the tree and call it a day? otherwise it is 'you can play whatever you want, but only the 'special ones' play non-crit' (note: there ARE some left side builds that are non crit - summoners, RF, Explosive Arrow or people with 450pdps 1handers + obvious double dip idiocy)

Meh, I always fine tuned my DW Dory RT marauder (Juggernaut at the moment) and pushed for higher tooltips DPS, and even when dropping my damage by 40% at around 5K HP for pushing more than 6.4K, I always had a tooltip larger than 50K with Static Strike, Dual Strike, Heavy Strike, Molten Strike, Glacial Hammer and Ice Crash - was having a blast even when swaping to Breath of the Council especially for Ice Crash...

I still wait for improvements on 1 hand weapons damage and HP - not to mention MELEE as in "breath in their face" skills - but RT would have to go for a chance of double damage at the moment and still wouldn't feel broken comparing it to crit...

The problems rise if you expect to scale pure physical damage to higher values, where as a 1 hander user your faced with a cool wall concerning those >400 pDPS weapons - I play from 1.3.0 and never in my >3000 hours playtime have encountered a SINGLE >400 pDPS 1 hand rare weapon so physical damage scaling should be more accesible...

3.0 can't come soon enough...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Jan 16, 2017, 2:58:44 PM
At least some small and basic changes like removing guaranteed elemental status application and toning down daggers would be a good first step.

Personally I don't find crit and crit multiplier as easy to get as some people claim here, for me it involves pretty heavy sacrifices on the tree and gear.
Well this thread has exploded since last I saw it.

I've read nearly all the replies and here are some further thoughts.

Crit nerf?: It's been argued that crit needs a nerf. Perhaps it does, but not by means of nerfing damage. It does require people to walk the line in stacking crit and multiplier, so to lessen the rewards in damage would be counterproductive to player choice.

One part I can agree with is the separation of crit and status ailments. This should bring a lot more parity into builds utilizing status ailments. The only potential problem from this is current baseline for status effects is far too low. Taking this option might necessitate buffing status effect chance nodes from 5% to 7-10% each.

The thing that can be done though is probably a further reduction in defenses for doing so. Consider life builds attempting to amass crit. Nigh impossible to hit good % without losing lots of life. ES builds don't really have this struggle as a good portion of the crit tree is within vicinity of CI and such. But, I don't want to get into discussion of ES vs Life.

The only problem here is I haven't yet thought of a way to do this in such a balanced manner that can affect CI and leave life in a usable state. The best possible solution requires the least amount of changes and coding for the sake of keeping PoE stable, but all current ideas point towards reworking that section of the tree.

This problem isn't confined simply to Inquisitor or Assassin, although they both excel at it. Any archetype can reach excellent levels of crit.

Crit vs non-crit: Crit has undeniably higher damage than non-crit builds. For all of you bringing up non-crit builds involving double dipping, poison, currently overtuned abilities, the topic of how game-breakingingly powerful those builds are has been discussed elsewhere numerous times.

It's best to treat these builds almost like pre-nerf voltaxic. If GGG cares about quality, these builds will not retain their current strength and will unavoidably nerfed.

Melee: Melee damage (discounting already completely broken double dipping) is the most evident of crit vs non-crit disparity. Much of this thread has already discussed the problems of running 1h+shield when it comes to dps. Crit builds accomplish far more than non-crit in this regard.

This problem, however, is also present in weapon types as well, with axes (outside of Fleshrippers and lower tier variants) and maces being the largest losers overall. Lowest crit chance, and either no or undesirable implicit modifiers. The only way to efficiently boost damage for these particular weapons is going going the non-crit route, but again, less damage than a crit build with swords.

Buffing Non-crit: Rather than attempting to nerf crit, or adjust ascendancies, I'd like to shift focus onto just what ideas would work to make non-crit builds more effective, particularly melee builds.

So far, the easiest and most pain free idea I have is to rework Resolute Technique into an analog of Elemental Overload. Ideally, it should read something like this:

Resolute Technique:Increases Accuracy by 200. 20-40% more Physical Damage for 8 seconds if you've dealt a critical strike recently. You have no Critical Strike Multiplier.

I'd argue against any further damage as melee does have in its favor lots of blanket increases to damage unlike elemental damages. If you disagree, please state why.

Elemental Overload can also be moved up from 40% to 50%.
Even if you did nerf double dipping 12 grand septum's beats crit all to hell with EO in initial hit. So basically I do not agree with whole thread premise. I've tried it with my ice nova build which doesnt care about DD - and it's 157K crit 7 PC w/454 CD or 205K DPS non crit EO up. Same gear LL and PoH. Not to mention the GS non crit version has way more EHP. There are way to buff non crit past crit but cost money like crit. I believe 12 5% grand septums will set you back 120ex in std. 4% about 12ex. But 720% increased ele damage laughs at whatever crit gear you can muster usually around 65%CC and 500%CD for a witch.

Rspective trees.
http://poeplanner.com/AAQAAP0jAAB8HNwo-jwtPV9Bh1JTbRmCx4Nfg8yPGpeVl_S3PriT6-756KcIj0bsOIV7ZlSCm5o7n9_vfDwFwGaboffXTLPv69Af2CRWSDLRRUdR-80WHxgYVspKX7CbtYTFwzoqOG-egwmxkC2ovoAYPL0nGGp4L3zlWAdXyQ186rq0DEZxEVA1uacr2VsbJUuu6QKESFxrw20i9GwLkyd711yKN4Om6yymkNa-iqEvytPfiuL3AW-LejQKN2Z_xsHFj_rQ0F9qWFpSKVXg8NVJUUcG2-dsCPGK74j5N9fPSbHsGMauxPZyqYnYaFjXlmt6yL9GUvxMF6QTNdQH3I0AAAAAAA==

crit
http://poeplanner.com/AAQAAP8jAAB9BUIHHg5ID6sPxBGWE3EYah0UIG4i9CSLKgsqOCycO3w8BT1fQZZEq0lRTLNQMFF0UlNVrlgHWK5d8l6lZlRsC20ZcFJ4L3zlf8aCEIKbhMWFe4nTjDaOZI7pj0aPpo_6kyeVLpeVl_SaO5uhm7Wf36EvoqOmma6ztvq4yrmTvorAZsMJwzrQ9dte37DjhOv17DjvfPDV8h33pnvX74j5N9fPSbHpAkuuGyXZWysKES8N0WNDbWy1SOtjEQ-smPfXhEhca8Nt-tJmnhZAhX1rtylPnjxciud02xoQe7460NBfaox2EVA1uacrEzUXpEZSa3rIv9QH3I38TAAAAAAA
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jan 17, 2017, 2:36:52 AM
"
Tsokushin wrote:
Well this thread has exploded since last I saw it.

I've read nearly all the replies and here are some further thoughts.

Crit nerf?: It's been argued that crit needs a nerf. Perhaps it does, but not by means of nerfing damage. It does require people to walk the line in stacking crit and multiplier, so to lessen the rewards in damage would be counterproductive to player choice.

One part I can agree with is the separation of crit and status ailments. This should bring a lot more parity into builds utilizing status ailments. The only potential problem from this is current baseline for status effects is far too low. Taking this option might necessitate buffing status effect chance nodes from 5% to 7-10% each.

The thing that can be done though is probably a further reduction in defenses for doing so. Consider life builds attempting to amass crit. Nigh impossible to hit good % without losing lots of life. ES builds don't really have this struggle as a good portion of the crit tree is within vicinity of CI and such. But, I don't want to get into discussion of ES vs Life.

The only problem here is I haven't yet thought of a way to do this in such a balanced manner that can affect CI and leave life in a usable state. The best possible solution requires the least amount of changes and coding for the sake of keeping PoE stable, but all current ideas point towards reworking that section of the tree.

This problem isn't confined simply to Inquisitor or Assassin, although they both excel at it. Any archetype can reach excellent levels of crit.

Crit vs non-crit: Crit has undeniably higher damage than non-crit builds. For all of you bringing up non-crit builds involving double dipping, poison, currently overtuned abilities, the topic of how game-breakingingly powerful those builds are has been discussed elsewhere numerous times.

It's best to treat these builds almost like pre-nerf voltaxic. If GGG cares about quality, these builds will not retain their current strength and will unavoidably nerfed.

Melee: Melee damage (discounting already completely broken double dipping) is the most evident of crit vs non-crit disparity. Much of this thread has already discussed the problems of running 1h+shield when it comes to dps. Crit builds accomplish far more than non-crit in this regard.

This problem, however, is also present in weapon types as well, with axes (outside of Fleshrippers and lower tier variants) and maces being the largest losers overall. Lowest crit chance, and either no or undesirable implicit modifiers. The only way to efficiently boost damage for these particular weapons is going going the non-crit route, but again, less damage than a crit build with swords.

Buffing Non-crit: Rather than attempting to nerf crit, or adjust ascendancies, I'd like to shift focus onto just what ideas would work to make non-crit builds more effective, particularly melee builds.

So far, the easiest and most pain free idea I have is to rework Resolute Technique into an analog of Elemental Overload. Ideally, it should read something like this:

Resolute Technique:Increases Accuracy by 200. 20-40% more Physical Damage for 8 seconds if you've dealt a critical strike recently. You have no Critical Strike Multiplier.

I'd argue against any further damage as melee does have in its favor lots of blanket increases to damage unlike elemental damages. If you disagree, please state why.

Elemental Overload can also be moved up from 40% to 50%.

Why modify Resolute Technique so the sole keystone that makes your build disregard Accuracy as whole is turned into one dependent of that mechanic as well?

It would be better and fairer from my point of view to just add a smaller more melee damage of 10-15%, a 15% reduced stun threshold and a 5-10% chance to gain Unholy Might for up to 3 seconds or even Fortify gain on melee hit for 1-2 seconds.

Make a new keystone that increases accuracy, gives 40% more Physical Damage for 8 seconds if you've dealt dealt a critical strike recently and you have no critical strike multiplier...

Resolute Technique should be a mechanic that gives players an option to disregard Accuracy investments while capping them on a lower damage level, and still feel useful in comparison to Crit and that new keystone + Elemental Overload.

And a separation of Crit and status ailments is an idea that would be even better if status ailments would work like stun, and capping the chance to a value less than 100% no matter the damage inflicted would be possible...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Two words: double dipping

for now non crit build can exceed crit. of course you can do both at same time but it's less efficient than focused builds.

For example poison non crit build I play with a shit load of general damage multipliers the Minotaur gets maybe 2 swings off if he's lucky. Much better than say the 100% crit cospri discharger I played last season.

R u saying u cant double dip with crit? :))

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info