Crit vs. Non-crit Builds : Do non-crit builds need a buff?

"
Tsokushin wrote:
I'll be examining in-depth current game state across both spells and damage with regards to critical damage.

First off, let's go over exactly what crit has over non-crit builds:

Higher potential leech: Very simple facet. Crit large once, get tons of leech in just a single hit. Makes for easy recovery with less risk as you only need to land something once.

Guaranteed Elemental Status Effects: This is the largest boon crit has over non-crit. You no longer need to worry about hunting down Ignite, Freeze, Shock chance modifiers, you simply stack enough Critical Chance and then you simply go to town on enemies. This simplifies curses as you only need to either run Assassin's Mark or Elemental Weakness if capped, whereas a non-elementalist build will have to utilize the respective elemental curses to boost that chance.

Far Higher Damage Potential: You can stack critical strike multiplier until the cows come home, which often ends up being a far larger damage boost in comparison to many of the "more" multipliers available in the game. This is further exacerbated due to any baseline additional damage is further enhanced by all of these critical multipliers.

It is because of these two effects that we see the current possibilities in Vaal RF being capable of one-shotting end-game bosses. Now, while Vaal RF may indeed itself be nerfed, these colluding factors are still a large boon towards critical strike builds overall. This is especially seen in anything dealing with fire, as ignite is guaranteed on critical damage and is always affected by the initial hit.

Critical strikes always have higher damage hits than non-critical strike builds except in the few rare cases of melee attacks and 2handers. This, however, is a very rare occurance.

Now, these are all the boons to critical strikes. It's quite a boost over non-critical strike builds. What's more disturbing however, is that right in the middle of writing all of this, I was attempting to plan out the thoughts about the boons of non-crit builds but it just all falls apart when in comparison.

It's absurdly easy to reach crit-cap nowadays with anything except 2h maces and 2h axes. Even with those two, it's still obtainable to hit 50-80% which is either comparable or more dps to all non-crit builds utilizing them.

But, what can be done? Nerfing crit builds is out of the question, as it's important to give more tools to the player rather than take away, but I think some of the current options are already in the game.

Elemental Overload: This keystone is probably key to buffing non-crit builds, not in its specific purpose but instead in its format. We essentially need more passive nodes or reworked nodes that will provide more damage at the expense of crit multiplier. Elemental overload can itself possibly be buffed to 50-60% and not have a crit trigger requirement. Just a flat buff to non-crit builds.

Physical damage, or perhaps 2h maces and 2h axes themselves which already have the lowest crit chance, can definitely use a physical damage equivalent of Elemental Overload.

I am by no means saying that non-crit builds should be buffed to be equal to critical damage builds. Critical strikes should always be king. But, non-crit builds can use a definite buff.

TL;DR : Crit has too much stuff compared to non-crit. Give non-crit builds more damage at expense of crit multiplier like elemental overload.

I said the same long ago. So, +1
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
Yes, non-crit builds melee needs a buff. A large one.

Crit SHOULD give you a higher potential when it comes to damage at the cost of survivability, but as it is now, it is almost required to reach certain DPS thresholds and the cost is too small. Crit should be a choice, not a requirement. For a lot of melee (weapon-scaling builds), crit is almost a requirement these days. It's sad.

Resolute techniques needs a buff, like Elemental Overload has.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Axarion wrote:

Leech has nothing to do with crit at all. If you do more damage you leech more.

This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Yeah can't see how leech really goes there, Acuity is hardly a thing due to how powerful VP is and there aren't many crit only sources of leech.

Thing is non-crit spells are fine, they have controlled destruction and elemental overload and they don't have to get RT. RT already means you cannot go Elemental Overload, which means despite not going for crit you still have to invest into accuracy and thus likely dex.

It was mentioned a lot that RT in itself is a terrible keystone, why doesn't it work similar to Elemental Overload. It could be removing your crit multiplier but all attacks provide fortify and cannot miss. Because Resolute Technique is basically about scoring safe and secure hits which would fit well with Fortify and would provide a small benefit to attackers using this keystone.

"
crit is 100% better but.. is pretty easy to build. compared to what used to be in open beta. main change is accuracy (it is way easier now to reach acceptable hit/second - thanks to accuracy buff and general attack speed increase)

Right side, yes but left side is a lot harder. You struggle with Accuracy and Crit itself. Even my HoWA build only has about 92% hit chance and he has 500 or so dex and a lot of Accuracy nodes. I looked at my Inquisitor who has about as much investment in Accuracy as most chars that are prone to use RT have and he rocks a solid 72% chance to hit, which of course is due to being lvl90 so the actual chance should be higher, but he actually has completly unnecessary accuracy rolls on his gear.

And considering that Accuracy has to check twice for crits it makes it a lot harder for anything on the left side of the tree to make good use of it.

And this applies to both melee and bows, although the later are less likely to go RT in the first place, but if they do they suck just as much.
"
sidtherat wrote:
much QQ

Isn't it ironic..

Crit is fine. RT could use some love, yes. 1h melee on the left side of the tree is in a bad place right now, but they already announced buffs so we'll see how that goes...
"
Bataille wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
much QQ

Isn't it ironic..

Crit is fine. RT could use some love, yes. 1h melee on the left side of the tree is in a bad place right now, but they already announced buffs so we'll see how that goes...

Crit facerolls, that in and off itself is a problem. It trivializes content, which is also a problem. Crit can have damage for cheap, where non-crit has to spend a lot of currency on gear, to even come close to what crit builds can do this is also a problem.

We're way past the point of "don't rework/nerf crit, buff non-crit instead". Years of loose ends and ignoring problems has lead up to this point. There's no "fixing things" without touching crit and vaal-pact. The few examples in which elemental overload does close the gap a bit, are spells with broken double dipping. This is how GGG fixes things: Instead of making thing A "less broken", they introduce B, which is almost as broken, and the result is more loose ends. And would have to be extremely overcompensating to think that "Path of broken meta" is what the devs were aiming for to begin with.
[quote="ScrotieMcB"]It's just, like, people's opinions, man.

But I cannot respect motherf♪♫♫♪rs calling something a simulator, when it isn't one.[/quote]

Mors edited this post first.
Last edited by Sure_K4y on Jan 16, 2017, 9:43:35 AM
You can view crit as being a problem with inquisitor or assassin or its a problem with crit, the first is probably easier to manage though. There are very few builds that won't do more damage as one of these two, inquisitors unbalanced by the high numbers of crit you can reach fairly easily to ignore resists and assassin is unbalanced by being able to make literally anything 95% crit without gear :p.

If they scaled those two down crits probably OK though I do think crits shouldn't be associated with elemental status effects as currently the freeze/shock nodes on the tree are worthless - not only does crit guarantee the status effects but it hits so hard they apply for a vastly longer time with zero investment.

Still they need to be careful crit really isn't overpowered on the rest of the ascendancies in my eyes and if i was in their boots i'd tone down assassin/inq slightly, remove double dipping then scale the boss health down to an appropriate level. Would do wonders for making some trash builds more viable again.
Last season i played with emberwake and had zero crits and my char did the same dmg as my crit char this season.

Crit is easy to push but there are a lot of non crit builds out there that out dmg crit builds.

The biggest down side on crit builds is reflect. Even a normal map without - max resi, you suddenly see how you drop nearly instant dead and know oh there was a reflect mob. With tanky mobs or -max resi you are just dead...vaal pact doesnt anything if the reflected crit is way higher than the amount you leeched...
"
Ueblesding wrote:
Last season i played with emberwake and had zero crits and my char did the same dmg as my crit char this season.

Crit is easy to push but there are a lot of non crit builds out there that out dmg crit builds.

The biggest down side on crit builds is reflect. Even a normal map without - max resi, you suddenly see how you drop nearly instant dead and know oh there was a reflect mob. With tanky mobs or -max resi you are just dead...vaal pact doesnt anything if the reflected crit is way higher than the amount you leeched...

Emberwake... -max resi... You talk about elemental builds, which - in my eyes - isn't the problem. Elemental Overload fixes a lot of those problems for casters, as do WED on every gear slot, Heralds and APS scaling for attack based builds. The real problem, is physical scaling, mainly attack based builds, without crit. And Emberwake has some interesting synergies, but one, two, three or even four uniques will not "fix" something.

How long is it since you made a 1H non-crit physical Duelist or Marauder? How's your damage?

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Jan 16, 2017, 11:39:57 AM
"
Phrazz wrote:

...1H non-crit physical Duelist or Marauder... How's your damage?

No matter it's rhetorical - RT gladiator here, currently at lvl 76 with 300 pdps axe. 5.7K earthquake tooltip, more than enough to do... dried lake...relatively fast.

The perfection in balance.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Jan 16, 2017, 11:50:36 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info