So after they remove double dipping does PoE become all-crit-all-the-time again?

"
inuke wrote:
Don't worry there will always be there more things to remove and nerf.

Destroying the fun out of the players is number one priority for GGG.

Making the game so balanced it bcomes boring to play is the ultimate plan.

Funny... I see it as the exact opposite. The plan seems to be to keep the game out of balance, but to alter the balance significantly every four months or so.
Well, Crit can apply to most of the skills in the game

while double dipping works with a fraction of them

so Crit is better for diversity

not to mention that crit is much easier to balance and GGG has experience with it
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
Pretty sure they will do something for non-crit. Maybe throw in keystones and support gems which benefit non-crit a lot. They did that already in the past but it felt kinda half assed.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
They said they will remove DD in 3.0. I guess all the generalist damage items will be removed. e.g. "damage" "elemental damage" "area damage" Fire damage no longer burn would need burning damage too. I think it's mistake to remove it because crit scales exponentially as well and we'll be all crit all the time. Assassin will be king of PoE.

Crit does not scale exponentially, just multiplicatively. Exponential means the damage is mutliplied by itself, as is the case with double-dipping. With perfect double-dipping, a 100% increase becomes a 300% increase, 200% increase becomes 800%, 300% becomes 1500% etc. Crit can provide a rather insane more multiplier but it's still just a multiplier.

Removing DD doesn't necessarily require completely different sets of modifiers. Just keep track of which ones have already been applied and don't apply them again. So if you ignite with flameblast, fire damage won't apply to the ignite because it already applied to flameblast. But if you ignite with ice spear using The Three Dragons, fire damage does apply since ice spear didn't deal fire damage and the modifier wasn't applied yet.
So much poor use of terminology :/.

Exponential is a^x where x is the number you're modifying.

Quadratic is a*x^2 where x is the number you're modifying.

Linear is a * x where x is the number you're modifying.

Crit as a multiplier to your damage looks like (1 - cc) + cc * cm where cc is crit chance and cm is crit multi. This is not exponential at all.

Double dipping is quadratic scaling. You have a * (1 + x) + b * a * (1 + x) * (1 + x) where a is base damage, b is derived percent, and x is your increases.

No damage mechanic in the game has exponential scaling, it would be so obscenely broken that players would likely overflow the storage type GGG uses for damage...
Last edited by DichotomousThree on Jan 16, 2017, 10:06:55 AM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
"
inuke wrote:
Don't worry there will always be there more things to remove and nerf.

Destroying the fun out of the players is number one priority for GGG.

Making the game so balanced it bcomes boring to play is the ultimate plan.

Funny... I see it as the exact opposite. The plan seems to be to keep the game out of balance, but to alter the balance significantly every four months or so.

Exactly I think its to keep our intrest. I've played maybe 50 build and 90% been nerfed. Everything from 100% resists to EB to discharger. But seems like we are more OP than ever. GGG taketh but giveth too.
Git R Dun!
I expect a doubling of damage over time nodes to compensate for the DD nerf and a general rebalance of the passive tree to benefit original DoT builds without giving a huge bonus to classes that happen to use double dip mods.

For example if you stack projectile / ele / area damage currently, you can throw ignite on a fire spell and it increases your damage by like 200-400% thats a hell of a gem. Same for poison in phys builds with the right nodes. That is the behaviour they are seeking to change I believe, not the principle of an ignite build but just making builds with generic nodes and scaling stuff to absurd levels with one gem slot.
"
So much poor use of terminology :/.

Exponential is a^x where x is the number you're modifying.

Quadratic is a*x^2 where x is the number you're modifying.

Linear is a * x where x is the number you're modifying.

Crit as a multiplier to your damage looks like (1 - cc) + cc * cm where cc is crit chance and cm is crit multi. This is not exponential at all.

Double dipping is quadratic scaling. You have a * (1 + x) + b * a * (1 + x) * (1 + x) where a is base damage, b is derived percent, and x is your increases.

No damage mechanic in the game has exponential scaling, it would be so obscenely broken that players would likely overflow the storage type GGG uses for damage...

Not damage mechanic on it's own, but grand spectrum. Which is also elemental damage and thus a quadratic modifier...
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
Boem wrote:
A more serious response perhaps?

If they "fix" double dipping, i expect a doubling of all over time nodes and support gems to compensate.

What this would imply, is a more direct engagement of the characters primary offense, either focus on initial hits and use secondary effects as a bonus or lower the initial hit but scale the secondary effect exponentially from there on out.

Currently there is a lack of choice in this regard, since people are presented with the ability to scale both without opportunity cost attached.
This results in a very bland passive tree for a lot of characters, simply pathing to all the nodes that do apply a "double dip".

When was the last time people used some good old regular "increased physical bow damage" nodes? When projectile damage double dips and is also nicely scattered around the tree.

Peace,

-Boem-

I would agree to an extent. However, if given a choice between buffing initial hits vs a DOT, the DOT rarely wins. Why wait around to kill stuff when you can one shot it? That's the only issue i see with what you have stated.

I think the removal of DD will just bury a lot of builds that players chose incidently while stacking other offense.

Seriously, who is going to waste time and currency for a "burning damage" build when there are builds like Blade Flurry Crit or HoWA that oneshot on initial hit?

Although seperating scaling creates more choices, it won't feel like a choice as the non-instant kill meta is a tough thing to revive. Simply put: we're used to oneshotting things, we will always find a method to continue that playstyle, so player builds will silo even more than they currently do.

(at least in my opinion)
Last edited by Prizy on Jan 16, 2017, 11:11:52 AM
overload is a thing.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info