Got stuck in the game content.

"
ChanBalam wrote:
I guess that that early in the game knowing what you get is more important than the two chaos and not knowing. In each league it seems that it is either rare rings or rare amulets that is the "hard to find" item for the chaos recipe. For me in standard it is rings and in Breach it is amulets.

Even late in the game vendoring items that are potentially good without identifying them is crazy IMO. I have had some many good rares drop this league... and if I was doing the unidentified chaos recipe (I don't do any chaos recipe, but that's not the point) I would have missed out on things like:

I don't advocate for doing the chaos recipe (ID or unID) beyond the first few days (or maybe the first week if you are a slower player) because it feels very inefficient when you could be in a map killing mobs, proccing your RNG. It can be useful to fill in gaps in gear in the first few days to get you into mid-higher maps, or to get you into Apex, etc.
U MAD?
By the way guys, can you explain what kind of item are worth to sell? I mean, so as I only played as elementalist I know that gloves/chests/boots/helments are very easy to price for this kind of builds, just some rolls are good, i.e. +es, +max es, +int.. but what abow the rest, I only know that +life and resists worth something. Don't know how to price amulets and rings... and some belts except crystal one ). And I really don't understand how to evaluate melee weapons... like daggers and swords.. don't at all.
Last edited by old_nihilist on Jan 17, 2017, 1:50:49 PM
Learning how to price/evaluate rares is pretty complex. The first thing to do is familiarize yourself with affix tiers. Sites like ExileMods and PoeAffix.net are invaluable. The ability to look at a diamond ring, and see that it has a high tier flat ES roll, and high flat physical roll, and a couple of resistances (and as such, an open prefix) is important. Knowing what can be added to items is also valuable. For the above example, the open prefix is important, because you could use Elreon to craft up to 20% increased maximum ES. You can always use something like the Poe Trade macro, but the potential issue there is that it cannot differentiate hybrid rolls (%ES+stun, vs. just %ES and Stun as separate rolls). It also cannot (AFAIK) help with pricing rares, since it doesn't search for affixes.

Familiarity with popular builds is useful for jewelry and weapons. Knowing what mods are desirable together on daggers can be complicated for example. Crit casters will want a different combination of affixes than a physical attack build would, though both often benefit from attack speed (since it = movement).

The best way to learn IMO is first to be able to recognize high rolls. Then, when you have an item with high rolls, search XYZ for similar items (rolls in the same tier).
U MAD?
"
Docbp87 wrote:
Learning how to price/evaluate rares is pretty complex. The first thing to do is familiarize yourself with affix tiers. Sites like ExileMods and PoeAffix.net are invaluable. The ability to look at a diamond ring, and see that it has a high tier flat ES roll, and high flat physical roll, and a couple of resistances (and as such, an open prefix) is important. Knowing what can be added to items is also valuable. For the above example, the open prefix is important, because you could use Elreon to craft up to 20% increased maximum ES. You can always use something like the Poe Trade macro, but the potential issue there is that it cannot differentiate hybrid rolls (%ES+stun, vs. just %ES and Stun as separate rolls). It also cannot (AFAIK) help with pricing rares, since it doesn't search for affixes.

Familiarity with popular builds is useful for jewelry and weapons. Knowing what mods are desirable together on daggers can be complicated for example. Crit casters will want a different combination of affixes than a physical attack build would, though both often benefit from attack speed (since it = movement).

The best way to learn IMO is first to be able to recognize high rolls. Then, when you have an item with high rolls, search XYZ for similar items (rolls in the same tier).

Yeah, Im usuing trade macro to quickly check tiers of rolls. Im using cntrl+ald+d to find items similar with rare afixes... but the problem is that I just look at tiers i.e take a ring, look at tiers, see 6 afixes, 2 of them are tier 1, one tier 2 and the rest tier 5-6, and if there is affiex like +1 soket games, I just vendor it. I don't know what is valuable.
Tier 1 rolls are meaning less if you're looking at a tier 1 thorns roll. You just need to familiarize yourself with popular builds.
U MAD?
"
ChanBalam wrote:
I guess that that early in the game knowing what you get is more important than the two chaos and not knowing. In each league it seems that it is either rare rings or rare amulets that is the "hard to find" item for the chaos recipe. For me in standard it is rings and in Breach it is amulets.

yeah generally rings and amulets are the bottleneck for chaos recipe. Personally I never do unid chaos recipe, I always id ever rare I pick up.

found that in dried lake, not even a map lvl zone, in endgame good items can spawn anywhere basically.

When I do chaos recipe the way I do it to be as efficient about it as possible is basically never vendor rings, amulets or belts that are ivl60+, I just keep them and throw them all in my tabs. I dont actively do the recipe, I just keep those items until I have literally tabs of them like this...

Spoiler

When I have a ton of jewellery built up I start throwing the other pieces into tabs after maps until I have tons of those too, they I go on a binge for a couple of mins and turn in 20 or 30 chaos recipes at once by matching them up in new tabs, 5 sets at a time...

Spoiler

the new quad tabs helped, so I would have say 6 or 7 full tabs of rings, amulets and belts, and then 2 whole quad tabs full of all the other bits that are just ctrl click thrown into my stash after every map, THEN I care about being fiddly and putting them together right in massive batches. I dont mess around after each map putting stuff in the right places very carefully etc, I run maps for hours and hours just chucking stuff in my stash at the end and throwing on the next map.

The way to value items... its tough, to know whats good when u look at it, honestly the best way is to just play a lot of different builds. If you play the builds you understand what they are looking for in their gear. Bows, spells, melee, armour, evasion, energy shield, elemental, physical, they all have considerations. The most expensive items are usually weapons, rings and amulets, being able to look at one and think ok thats perfect combo for X type of build or seeing ok, thats 5 good stats but they dont match up because anyone who wants the flat lightning always wants wed that it doesnt have and wont want the cast speed, being able to see that in the blink of an eye and know if something valuable or not is kind of key to making a good amount of cash from rare items.
^^^ thanks. That is helpful. You are very efficient and I guess you have to be if you do that many maps. Doing lots could make the id item for 1 chaos approach worth it. I'm a slow player so 2 chaos a clip may only seem smart. Being poor can color one's approach to things. I have only played melee so I am clueless about what other builds need. Just the thought of playing with a bow makes me cringe. And a wand? Forget it. ;) What I would really like is to dual wield an elegant blade and a dagger.

But I do wonder what was in all those hundreds of rings and amulets that I vendored. In standard, i am richer and could take a different approach.

He is an example. I look at this ilvl 79 diamond ring and think that it looks pretty nice and has room for more mods. I should sell it. but in truth, I suspect no one will want it for a reason I don't understand. That's because I don't play crit. But I don't have time to play through a lot of characters to see what they need at the top end.

"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
Last edited by ChanBalam on Jan 18, 2017, 12:04:09 AM
It has both ES and Life, which automatically means (not 100%, but for MOST potential buyers) it has a wasted prefix (either life or ES), that could go to a damage roll like flat phys/chaos/whatever damage type, or % ES for an ES build, etc. The life gain on hit is automatically worthless for casters, and honestly is a worthless stat for... everyone basically. The rarity is only valued for Magic Finders, and no one is playing MF in 2017, because it is a waste of gear and hyper-inefficient.
U MAD?
Thanks; I am woefully bad at assessing items. :(
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info