Thank you for helping lower prices of overpriced items set up by greedy/rmt people.

"
Draegnarrr wrote:
I'd quite like to see a BDO type AH or price system in the game, where items have set min/max's they can sell for and they trend up or down over time depending on people buying at the top or the bottom. Its a good system for ensuring nooblets don't get screwed, stopping currency manipulation and finding an items general worth.

Flippers are just middlemen looking for a cut without adding anything to the game, they wouldn't be missed :p

BDO type AH led to some things being simply untradeable, because the starting price was so low that nobody sold it and/or the market was fuelled purely by newbies who didnt know and simply went to post the things, hating themselves later when they found out that the thing is actually valuable later in the game. That was the biggest nooblet-rip-off market I have ever seen. Plus to be operational, it required complete prohibition of inter-player trade. That led to the situation that you played with someone, dropped item good for him but bad for you and literally couldnt give it to the person (or on the example of nooblets, it stopped new people from receiving help from the older players, often their friends). Pretty much any trade system is better than BDO type AH.

Flippers add liquidity, which is actually very valuable for people without much time - I am very happy when my expensive item sells instantly, even for 20 chaos less than I could have theoretically sold it for in a week / month.
Yeah it wasn't perfect but it did have some good features, in my experience everything was tradeable if it was worthless it was because it was worthless, if it became desirable somebody would buy them all and the price would start to rise as a result.

Downside is it doesn't adjust to particular situations very well so for example when nagamamas axe went from 10c to 60c this league most people wouldn't have listed at 10 expecting the price to rise, which of course means it takes longer to get to 60 but it isn't really any different to flippers buying them for 10 to relist at 50 because Mathil mentioned them :P

As to liquidity in my experience if you undervalue something it will sell fast be it to a flipper or not, I'm not sure we gain that much instant access in return for their parasitic nature
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Jan 17, 2017, 10:30:01 AM
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
Yeah it wasn't perfect but it did have some good features, in my experience everything was tradeable if it was worthless it was because it was worthless, if it became desirable somebody would buy them all and the price would start to rise as a result.

Downside is it doesn't adjust to particular situations very well so for example when nagamamas axe went from 10c to 60c this league most people wouldn't have listed at 10 expecting the price to rise, which of course means it takes longer to get to 60 but it isn't really any different to flippers buying them for 10 to relist at 50 because Mathil mentioned them :P

As to liquidity in my experience if you undervalue something it will sell fast be it to a flipper or not, I'm not sure we gain that much instant access in return for their parasitic nature

Most of the lower tier crafting ingredients and products were impossible to buy since there was massive overhang of demand over the supply but the price would never go up.

Which leads to the situation where you want to buy something but cant, because people dont want to list it at the current limit price... so you just sit there and wait for a newbie who doesnt know it should be more so you catch him first.

From where do you have the experience? Because flippers are present on pretty much every AH I can think of. On point anyway - the problem is not that you cannot sell things, its that you cannot sell them (or try to) for the price you want and on the other side, people often cannot buy things (at any price).
Flippers are present on just about any AH like middlemen are present in just about anything in life :p that doesn't mean you should give them a free ride and frequently steps have to be taken to curb their excesses when they are rocking the boat too much.

and yeah the low tier crafting goods were screwed by the alogrithm requiring too much volume to adjust for components so it got into a loop of nobody farms these because they aren't worth selling but the price never adjusts for the same reason (i think their base price was tied to the vendor one too which needed decoupling). That could be improved upon mathematically however by just having some redundancies in place for higher volume items, wouldn't really be a problem in PoE Anyway ^^ unless something caused a delayed price spike in alterations or wisdom scrolls lol
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Jan 17, 2017, 11:14:08 AM
Inb4 op realises the people who helped dropping the prices are rmt people themselves exactly by being greedy and over supplying the market.

Economy basics isnt your strength op :)
ey
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
Flippers are present on just about any AH like middlemen are present in just about anything in life :p that doesn't mean you should give them a free ride and frequently steps have to be taken to curb their excesses when they are rocking the boat too much.

And how exactly are the rocking the boat in PoE? On the example of the axe from earlier posts, who was harmed and what was his loss from flippers being present?

"
Draegnarrr wrote:
and yeah the low tier crafting goods were screwed by the alogrithm requiring too much volume to adjust for components so it got into a loop of nobody farms these because they aren't worth selling but the price never adjusts for the same reason (i think their base price was tied to the vendor one too which needed decoupling). That could be improved upon mathematically however by just having some redundancies in place for higher volume items, wouldn't really be a problem in PoE Anyway ^^ unless something caused a delayed price spike in alterations or wisdom scrolls lol

Exactly - algorithm was working badly for a subset of goods. Based on what do you believe that here the algorithm would be perfectly adjusted for every sub-market of goods? What makes you believe that the centrally planned algorithm will lead to better situation for players compared to current situation? Corrections will take time, that means effort from GGG that could be used elsewhere (game development) and loss to efficiency for the players (worse working market than the free one).

//I know this has turned academic but I love this type of discussion, apologies if it seems too offtopic//
This communism vs. free market capitalism debate has played itself out in games with player trading ability since before the Internet was even available to the public, and will continue to play itself out in perpetuity.

Those with a firm grasp of history and economics knows that there will always be winners and losers. I prefer to support the system that better rewards those who are more proactive and apply more effort and resourcefulness.

Some call that greed, but those people usually exhibit a lower quality of life due to their complacency.
thank you OP for bringing this up. GGG doesnt care unfortunately
"
VGLance wrote:
This communism vs. free market capitalism debate has played itself out in games with player trading ability since before the Internet was even available to the public, and will continue to play itself out in perpetuity.

Those with a firm grasp of history and economics knows that there will always be winners and losers. I prefer to support the system that better rewards those who are more proactive and apply more effort and resourcefulness.

Some call that greed, but those people usually exhibit a lower quality of life due to their complacency.

Yep. The thing that I always feel like people need to be reminded of is that there are plenty of players with lots of wealth who are not cheating. They have learned how to make currency, through methods that every single "poor" player complaining about economic inequality could use if they just took the time and made the effort. Its not like there is some super secret password to suddenly get access to wealth generating methods in game. Literally EVERYONE can do it. Some just prefer to complain.
U MAD?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info