Sell me on a monitor?

Due to aiming to build a computer as soon as Ryzen is officially released and reviewed for gaming (will go with an i7 7700k if it doesn't live up to enough of my expectations) and streaming, I am having trouble deciding on a monitor setup that won't have me waiting months of saving up beyond saving for the computer components itself and want to be budget friendly.

I get the impression I am buying into a monitor at a bad time because we seem to be on the border of 1440p becoming budget friendly in terms of monitor price and budget gpu's that can handle 1440p at a solid 60fps or more. Furthermore, I know TN monitors are liked by competitive players and my girlfriend has an TN monitor simply due to its sale price at the time of building her desktop and my laptop is very likely tn, don't know where to find out exactly, but IPS seems to be more preferred for less color changes at angles and such in exchange for no 144hz and such.

Third problem is since I want to try my hand at streaming, do I go dual monitor, single monitor of standard 16:9, or save up a bit more for 1080p ultrawidescreen? Dual seems to be most appropriate so I can actually interact with chat in some capacity if playing a full screen game like Fallout 4, but on the other hand, I do have my laptop that I could watch chat on or something if I have room for it on my desk on top of whatever monitor I end up taking.

So as far as I have planned it my computer is hopefully going to be:

4c/8t Ryzen
16gb Ram
Single Rx 480 8gb (haven't settle on a particular model. I also know some poeple may give me flak that PoE has trouble with AMD drivers but I have faith that the performance improvements will solve the issues over time. That and I personally find some of Nvidia's means of business to consumers to be shady at best and really really really don't want to give them any money until they have redeemed themselves in my eyes.)

Note: I don't think I can sit and wait for Vega gpus to come out, otherwise I am afraid I will perpetually be waiting for the next thing to release and never actually buy my computer. Will probably upgrade 2 years or so down the line if the cpu is not a bottle neck for the upgrade.

All other components are accounted for but I don't think are too relevant to the monitor situation.

So things I have considered and making me hesitant:

1)Looking at benchmarking online, it seems that RX 480 can't quite handle 1440p Fallout 4 at maxed out, and I would also want a bunch of realistic graphics mods on there because I like it to look as immersive as possible. It can average 60fps but dips a lot. So I think I am correct in aiming at an 1080p setup due to this.

2) Can't decide if an IPS would be worth it or if I would prefer a TN monitor with 144hz capacity. I don't think I have seen the RX 480 push more than like 80fps in Fallout 4 maxed out but I assume the 20 fps over a 60fps cap would still look smoother. I don't know about the color accuracy and angling differences though if I go for a dual monitor setup. Not too concerned about TN in a single monitor I guess because I can always angle the monitor how I need to.

3) Other than the increased view, ultrawidescreen seems irrelevant for something like PoE obviously, but considering I want a pretty immersive experience, would a single ultrawide 29" (seems to be the sweetspot for budget uw on sale even if 34" is considered to be the best size from what I read) make me feel more at home when running Fallout 4 and other games that have the intention to be immersive roleplays?

4) Just reiterating the, dual or single bigger monitor in regards to gaming keeping in mind I do have a laptop that probably function as a chat view or something.

Kind of stuck on what I want to aim for now and would appreciate anybody who has experiences with these problems or all of them to chime in. Got plenty of time before I pull the trigger since AMD won't frigging announce a release date!
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
Last bumped on Jan 11, 2017, 9:24:38 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info