Your start with Path of Exile

"
TreeOfDead wrote:
"
CrazylikE wrote:
the game was a lot simpler back then.

Thats true, now game MUCH more complicated and harder to understand.

IDK if I agree with this statement... the core of the game is pretty much the same. The levelling experience is more cluttered because of added old league mechanics (specially intrusive are: masters, prophecies, essence mobs; knowing certain nemesis & bloodlines affixes is useful too; exiles and strongboxes are not that hard to understand (loot pinyatas), but not really more complex.

For the OP, maybe you want to go over this specifically explainign what is fundamental and what is 'accessory' in the early game. Whjat is important is to understand:
- Skill system (linking, links, support skills -incl. increase and more multipliers-, main skills, etc.; supplementary secondary skills like movement, defence setups, etc).
- The currency system, value of the currencies and orbvs and what they do, hints to when to use/not use something. Mention the difference between playing SF (or mostly SF) and trading with other players.
- A small introduction to itemization (this takes a lot of experience to master but an introduction so players can get started is important): affix/prefix system, a few short examples on how to value items (affix tier, valuable affixes, local/global affixes, attack vs. spell caster affixes etc.)
- Introduce the players to the defensive stats and the types of damage in the game. Minimum HP pools expected to be comfortable ina first play through in each difficulty, concept of 'layered' defences, regen/leech/LGoH, etc.
- An overview of the passive system/tree system and an overview of ascendencies.
- Generic levelling process for those who want to be somehow efficient about it, where to find quest items, skills, pathing, etc.
- point people to the poe wiki (probably still the most reliable place to get most info from except for obscure mechancis questions).

"
lagwin1980 wrote:

I still wonder what the fuck people are doing when they come here reporting stuff as bugs or moaning about simple stuff like it's actually difficult.

Like handing in a quest to the right person and getting confused as to who to hand it into (even though it's straight forward) even if it wasn't then you speak to every NPC to find out

Or how the game is hard to navigate through levels.....and here's me shit though i am running though areas like i know the exact layout.

Attention span and reading comprehension on average is pretty low nowadays, that's why moist people has 'problems'.

And why games keep being dumbed down.
Last edited by knac84 on Jan 12, 2017, 8:02:53 PM
When I began playing 4 plus years ago, my biggest challenge was coming up with excuses to skip work so I could stay home and play PoE. It was a great time to be with and supporting this game. It was filled with the potential to be the best arpg ever. I loved it.
The game was a LOT harder back then, what are you guys talking about being harder now lol

Now almost any build works, you got poetrade, every skill is op and instantly clears screens.

This game is mainstream right now, getting worse by the day.. but hey I understand ggg its for the money, theyre doing it right.
ey
Well, way back then you didn't have loot filters, essences, prophecies, labyrinths, premium stash tabs, lockstep/predictive modes, ascendencies, master crafting, and probably a dozen other things that have made the game more complicated.

To me, the worst part of being new was figuring out the arcane trading process (which back then pretty much required downloading 3rd-party software and awkwardly integrating it into some shop forum post and finding the login session id).

The next worst thing was figuring out the arcane 'crafting' system, which thanks to master-crafting is less like pure gambling than it was, but it still has more to do with RNG than with craft.

Everything else was a matter of taking the time to explore and experiment, and finding the wiki.
- here's my sig
Nowadays if you don't fully understand double dipping then... go read up on it.
I'm still not used to the skill tree. There seems like there's so much to it and here i am trying to figure out what the best route for a summoner build for the witch is.
I remember using all kinds of orbs trying to understand how it works. I wasted an ex i think on some junk item. Every single gem i found was hoarded neatly to mules because it was important to keep everything handy if you want to test things out. Trading, gem interactions and crafting was confusing but everything else felt familiar, from the tree (FF fan) to what is expected from a chosen class (Diablo). My very first toon was a necro witch that I still keep, even the original items/gems. Somehow it reached level 89 and it was my highest leveled one too for some time.

I consider myself a late comer and still learning so PoE must be overwhelming for someone with zero rpg background. But it certainly is a tiny bit more newbie friendly than before.
So for a quick update, i worked on the script of the first episode which you can take a look on, but it is written in german language mostly.
Clawbased supp + carry guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2116480
Molten strike brightbeak nonsense guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2067539
The hardest part for me when I started and still the hardest part with 1200+ hours played is currency management combined with build completion. I can't count the number of half finished builds I have had and I blame it on spending too much time reading through the forums. I get a build to 80+, but then before I finish end game gearing it I find another equally cool looking build and abandon the first character to work on a different one. To begin with I was amazed by the currency people accumulate and couldn't figure out why I was broke until I realized I actually had just as much. It was just tied up in items on half finished builds. 6L Shav's, 6L Windripper, 6L Daresso's, etc, etc. All on unfinished builds that I moved on from.

Best advise I can think of for a new player is to check the build list for the different classes and pick one that can do all content, bookmark that build, and then don't look at any others for a long time. Stick with your first build until finished instead of spreading currency across multiple half finished builds.
"
inuke wrote:
The game was a LOT harder back then, what are you guys talking about being harder now lol

Now almost any build works, you got poetrade, every skill is op and instantly clears screens.

This game is mainstream right now, getting worse by the day.. but hey I understand ggg its for the money, they're doing it right.

More evidence that today's PoE is easier thanks to current build meta. I hadn't gotten an Untainted Paradise Zana daily map in a long time. With my level 90 phys/poison crit BF Assassin I am able to do this:
Spoiler

All these mob packs and I didn't need to WB around. I just stood in the middle of the Devourer and other packs and just BF shot them to hell. Even with my low 4.3K life I wasn't concerned at all of getting mob killed as the life leech easily exceeded the damage taken. Don't misunderstand, that map is super fun with my build and not having to worry about dieing to any mob and getting triple xp (311% experience gained at the expense of no drops) is great but for all that say today's PoE is harder than PoE of a few years ago are nuts or have forgotten how bad it was.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Jan 17, 2017, 6:55:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info