Your start with Path of Exile

What were the 3 things you had the most trouble with, starting to play PoE.

So, to start out what is my intention behind this post and this question?

-I want to get various informations from a few more people out of the community.
-I want to create a list of things, that are difficult to understand in the beginning of playing.
-I want to create a german videoseries where i explain how to start in Path of Exile and how to become a better player overall.

What are my reasons?

-I searched through the web and did not find any updated video/thread for people to start out with PoE in german language.
-When PoE gets translated into german, and it will, i think it might be useful when there already is a videoseries explaining the game over a videoseries that just starts because it got translated.

So to help me you just ´write down a few things that you think are important to be explained.
On my list are:

-The hud
-UI and other options
-Characters
-Skilltree
-Vendor recipe
-First run through
-early leveling
-more

Thanks for your replys and i apologise for my decent english.

I finished my first list for stuff that should be done before you start playing the game.
Altough its written mostly in german you can take a look here:
Spoiler
Vor dem Spiel
Zu allererst wollen wir uns damit auseinandersetzen, was wir tun bevor wir das Spiel überhaupt spielen. Somit befassen wir uns zu erst mit den Clients, den Optionen, den Charakteren und den Liegen.
Client

Steam
+Microtransactions
+Automatische Updates
+-Spielzeit
+Kein e-mailcheck
+Autologin
-Steamserverabhängig

Standalone
+Unabhängig von Steamservern
+Frühere Patches (Nicht immer)
+Schnellere kleine Patches
-Steam microtransactions
Link Account teste beides.
32/64 Bit direct x9/11
64bit+direct x11 = bessere performance wenn es unterstützt wird.

Optionen

Graphics
-Fullscreen/Windowed Fullscreen/Window = Fullscreen window für macros
-Antialiasing: Kantenglättung, beeinflusst performance extrem.
-Anisotropic Filtering: Blurry/ Verschwommen
-Post Processing: Verwischen/ Bildtiefe, geringe sichtbarkeit, massiver performanceeinfluss
-Screen Shake
-Engine Multithreading: 2 Kerne= schlecht/kein effekt 4+ Kerne = gut

Sound
-Persönliche einstellungen

UI
-Sprachausgabe
-Chatsprache
-Network: Lockstep / Predictive
-Quest tracking, Sinnvoll für den Anfang
-Cornermap vs Centermap
-Map Transparenz
-Item highlight
-Always show socket, immer an, am anfang
-Key Pickup, ausversehen klicken/ charaktermovement
-Full description
-Life/Mana level
-Corpse targeting
-Chat
-Chat timestamp
-Life bar on allies = minions/ Totems/ mitspieler
-Life bar on enemies = Gegner die Schaden bekommen haben
-Lifebar abouve you
-Clock
-Autoequip nervig für recipe, nützlich am Anfang/ in race
-Confine Mouse to Windows = Relevant bei 2 Bildschirmen/ window mode
-Enable Tutorials
-Default loot allocation = lootverteilung in Gruppen.
-Lootfilter = Spätere Episode

Input
-Flasks
-Skills
-Attack in Place = Numpad für perm aktivieren
-Detonate mines = Manuelle explodieren lassen von Minen auf Minenbuilds
-Performance statistics
-Item pickup key

Notifications
-Inoformationen über alles mögliche
Clawbased supp + carry guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2116480
Molten strike brightbeak nonsense guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2067539
Last edited by incredibie on Jan 14, 2017, 3:06:55 PM
Last bumped on Jan 17, 2017, 7:07:54 AM
First off, I just want to say that I didnt really struggle with anything when I started playing the game back in 2011, the game was a lot simpler back then. But I enjoy watching new players first hours in the game and here are a few things I have seen some struggle with.

Knowing that they can buy gems from Nessa.
Vendor recipes (chromes is the only one that is worth it at the start I guess).
Some go a long time without adding support gems to their active gems.
Some people dont know what the bandit thing in act 2 is about and they just randomly do w/e.

There are more stuff, but to be honest, I think the best way to play any game, including PoE, is to go in blind and learn by yourself :) Thats just my opinion though. GL with your project though!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
"
CrazylikE wrote:
the game was a lot simpler back then.

Thats true, now game MUCH more complicated and harder to understand.
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
"
CrazylikE wrote:
I started playing the game back in 2011, the game was a lot simpler back then.

And there was a lot less guidance and i couldn't even tell you if there was a decent wiki to read up on anything.

But tbh i never really struggled with anything either, i didn't have previous experience past console gaming and the closest to PoE was probably the Balders Gate games on the PS2, the rest picked up form other RPG's on console and WoW

Basically i just derped through it solo (as i do now) using leap slam and sweep, never struggled finding my way, the UI is pretty clear, characters had, and still do, have a basic theme, vendor recipes were still being introduced so they still had to be discovered

the only thing that was intimidating was the passive tree but that wore off as you started using it.

I still wonder what the fuck people are doing when they come here reporting stuff as bugs or moaning about simple stuff like it's actually difficult.

Like handing in a quest to the right person and getting confused as to who to hand it into (even though it's straight forward) even if it wasn't then you speak to every NPC to find out

Or how the game is hard to navigate through levels.....and here's me shit though i am running though areas like i know the exact layout.

Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Jan 8, 2017, 3:08:31 PM
My biggest problem was not knowing what to take in the tree. So i just took as many damage nodes as i could, not realizing that once i got into cruel and mercy i would be dying alot. New players need to understand that their character needs a certain amount of life or ES to be able to progress to the harder difficulties. I wish I saw something that showed me the minimum life or ES needed for entering cruel and mercy difficulties so that i wouldn't die all the time.
Only one thing. How to value finds. Still a learning experiance for me because unless you have idea of all builds and gear required you could go vendoring great stuff or selling it too cheap.

I don't think game is hard at all. Takes a few minutes to make a build and i made dozens of build guide. Playing is easy too. point click monster die. use flasks. Basically its a time killer and relaxing compared to my real job which is hard.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jan 8, 2017, 4:40:01 PM
I think people should get a basic knowledge of crafting-your-own-stuff:

basic:
(1) using a good item filter, 1st thing.
(2) existence of more/better stash tabs for money.

item properties:
(1) the ilvls which determine the properties, knowing u need ilvls of X+ (using the poeaffix).
(2) suffix/prefix restrictions, and using it to your advantage with master crafting.
(3) amount of sockets u can get per lvl (armour/2handed), rarity of color combinations (using the vorici calc).

crafting:
(1) using trans/alts to reroll things (flasks or simple gear).
(2) using alch-scour or chaos to reroll good items.

currency:
(1) the chaos recipe as a fast way to get money early on.
(2) other recipes (mainly GCP one I think, but the 5chance recipe is also awsome).
(3) things u should vaal/chance.

knowing how to craft certain things will make the game much better (regular for money, SSF for endgame gear).
these are the things I can think of right now.
Last edited by Theshadow5 on Jan 11, 2017, 12:53:07 PM
"
Theshadow5 wrote:
I think people should get a basic knowledge of crafting-your-own-stuff:

basic:
(1) using a good item filter, 1st thing.
(2) existence of more/better stash tabs for money.

item properties:
(1) the ilvls which determine the properties, knowing u need ilvls of X+ (using the poeaffix).
(2) suffix/prefix restrictions, and using it to your advantage with master crafting.
(3) amount of sockets u can get per lvl (armour/2handed), rarity of color combinations (using the vorici calc).

crafting:
(1) using trans/alts to reroll things (flasks or simple gear).
(2) using alch-scour or chaos to reroll good items.

currency:
(1) the chaos recipe as a fast way to get money early on.
(2) other recipes (mainly GCP one I think, but the 5chance recipe is also awsome).
(3) things u should vaal/chance.

knowing how to craft certain things will make the game much better (regular for money, SSF for endgame gear).
these are the things I can think of right now.

Thanks for these and the other replys so far, gonna update my lists soon.
Clawbased supp + carry guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2116480
Molten strike brightbeak nonsense guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2067539
I'm still having a hard time understanding the stats, especially with regard to why gear can have multiple of the same stat...

ie:

+50 Energy Shield
+50% Energy shield

How and what does that affect?

That issue and confusion quickly transfers over to the passive tree and subsequently, into builds when I'm told to come here and look. I want to try CI and Low Life, but struggling to figure out how these stats work together make it impossible for me to comprehend how to survive with 1hp while relying simply on your ES.

So. Stats, really. Other than that, recipes... but those are easily accessible on the wiki and just as easy to interpret.
I'll tell you the hardest thing for me when I started.

- To know the min/max attributes values of an item, in order to know if the item was good or not.

- To know how many attributes and which attributes an item can have.

- To know all the main skills available to play and choose from, because each class has access to different skills from the vendor but you can use them all.

These were my main struggles

Later on I had yet another struggle, called end game, to know how to do end game content and what kind of end game content do we have in the game.

GGG doesn't make a very good job directing a player through the end game content, the progression stops at mapping.. however there's a lot more content than just normal maps, especially now.
ey

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info