Linux instead of windows for life

I've had it with windows, I'm seriously thinking about installing Linux, but I'm wondering if path of exile will even run on it. I'm also wondering if anyone here did actually tried it.
Last bumped on Jul 15, 2017, 11:52:27 AM
It can run but it's not supported so you need to jump through some hoops before you can play.

Can i ask what about windows is bothering you that bad?
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
Graklak wrote:
I've had it with windows, I'm seriously thinking about installing Linux, but I'm wondering if path of exile will even run on it. I'm also wondering if anyone here did actually tried it.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/138054

Yes, people have.

But is it worth it? Do you like researching online for hours, editing text files frequently, and tweaking things on your OS in order to get things to work correctly? Do you like total control over your OS and give a big F.U. finger to Microsoft and Apple? Then Linux might be for you.

Seriously though, I've run Linux for many years. I'm back to Windows for primary desktop. Because when I come home from work after fixing software bugs and fixing software and hardware issues on my co-workers computers, I'd really rather not fix my own PC.

If you've "had it" with Windows, what Windows version are you running? I love Windows 7, XP, and 2k, and pretty much hate all other versions. But if you get frustrated with Windows, you'll be even more frustrated with any Linux distro out there.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Jan 6, 2017, 8:20:00 PM
I've moved to Linux ~7 years ago. I use it for everything from internet to work, but still have Win 7 installed for gaming. Win 7 is not that bad, tbh.

Yes Linux might require some initial manual fiddling, but when you have everything set up it works like a charm. A big plus is that when you install a popular Linux distro, it contains everything you'll need for entertainment and work, while when you install Windows you'll just get a barebone operating system, without any useful programs. You cant even do simple tasks like open PDFs until you install a ton of additional stuff (shareware - annoying!!). In this regard distros like Ubuntu, Mint, etc.. are more user friendly than Win.

As for running PoE I dunno, because I keep gaming and work separated. You can do as me - run both systems and get the best of both worlds.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
I'd jump to Linux if I could play all my games without jumping through any extra hoops. If I was a non-gamer, I'd be using it right now.
Ive been dualbooting for over a decade.

I use windows exclusively for gaming, you would be surprised at how great it is if you dont use the web on it.
For everything else I use Gentoo, which is definately not a daily driver for most, but you can slot any linux distro in there really.

One thing I would not recommend is ubuntu, it pretty much always breaks in some hilarious manner.

POE will run on linux, but its frankly not great, and its well worth to blow a hundred or two gigs on a windows partition just for gaming.

For everything else though, linux is far superior once you learn the names of all the programs that do the exact same shit on windows. Figuring out exactly what to install is probably the biggest challenge, but gets easier with time as you learn names.
HAIL SATAN!
POE will run on linux, with some doing.

(Replace "POE" with literally any application for a pretty good synopsis of the Linux experience.)
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
Operating systems are meant to be tools for god sake. Not kind of entities peoples are praying for every morning.

Why would you even run PoE on Linux in it's current state ? Don't tell me it's about windows licence price last time i saw a legit one except at work was in the early 2000.
Hf :)
I think Windows is a lot better than it was before XP when I was always have issues of some sort.
Been running linux on servers for more than 15 years.... more than 10 years ago till I switched my desktop (now notebook) to linux. Servers run Debian and my current distro of choice is NixOS. It's really nice as you create one configuration file and it will install/setup the whole thing based on that configuration file. So, re-setup a new machine is fairly easy and straight foward.

On my other notebook I run Win 10 for games.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info